Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Power By Carver (aka Zumbini's man cave)

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a much overdue update on my 490t and system problems:   Dennis spent months chasing down and eventually repairing a problem with the 490t's muting circuit. Rather than ship it back to

SWEET! But isn't a miked kit overkill for a local pub?    My son Zack has been away at college so his good drum set still resides in my mancave (he just graduated from MIT and starts his mas

UPDATE: I found that Bussman HKP series fuse holders rated for 20A have 1/4" tabs that will accept slide on terminal lugs. Ordered 6.  

Posted Images

Good news! I found the package of IEC320 C8 sockets sitting on my porch when I returned.
No idea why the postman would leave it there since it was small enough to fit in the mailbox.
Perhaps he thought he was doing me a favor....

Anyway, I took some measurements of one of the C8 sockets and created a template.
Turns out the chassis penetration can be created by drilling two 1/2" holes on 5/16" centers.
Here I've mounted the template and punched centers for the opening and mounting screws.
20131012185025614.jpg 

Next I used a small pin vise drill to enlarge the punch marks so the step drill bit doesn't wander.
20131012190021970.jpg 

Then I drilled two overlapping 1/2" holes using a self-piloting step drill bit.
20131012190246844.jpg 

I cleaned up the rough opening and expanded it to fit the socket using a pair of coarse files (1 round; 1 flat).
20131012190620744.jpg 

Using the socket as a template I drilled pilot holes for 5/32" drill-tip screws and installed them by hand.
20131012191053484.jpg 

The only thing left to do was to solder the remaining stub of zip cord to the socket and add heat shink tubing.
20131012192357262.jpg 

And here she is ready for action. 
20131012192541427.jpg
  • Thank You 1
I'm not aware of a "general concensus" Mark, however, I've installed IEC sockets in all 4 of my main system amps. 
I did that so I can remove the amps from my rack without having to fish power cords out of the cable trays.
I suspect maintenance accessibility is also the reason virtually all pro equipment feature detachable power cords.

There is one obvious downside: you can inadvertantly detach a cord while the equipment is under power.
For me that risk is minimal as my AC cords are captured within the same cable trays that prompted the conversions.
20131013065747548.jpg 
Thanks Dennis. Interestingly, I don't see anyone else rushing out to mutilate their Carver gear. face20.gif

Now that I have these smaller 2-wire C8 sockets I think my next project will be my BillD-modified C-11.
20131013051030918.jpg 
Not completely alone Dom.

I did this to my M1.  Not because I needed or wanted a removable power cord, but because the amp came to me with some make shift power cord using wire nuts inside and no strain relief and chassis protection.  

I still like it though.  I would like to do this to my C-1 as well.

I mounted mine from the inside.

20131013054339292.jpg
That's a nice job Dennis. Mounting the socket from the inside exposes the cutout so it's gotta be clean.
As good as I've gotten at cutting holes in sheet metal I prefer to cover my handiwork with the flange. emwink.gif

Rod Haggerty converted at least one of his M-1.0t's to an IEC cord/socket too.
In fact the Rodster was instrumental in my own 1st conversion, also an M-1.0t.

BTW - I've been using 3-wire C13/C14 cords/sockets on amps even tho I don't connect the ground.
20131013070609826.jpg 
Dennis brought up a good point in a PM that is worth sharing - polarized vs non-polarized cords and sockets.
This is not an issue with 3-wire installations but the C7/C8 I used can be reversed placing the fuse on the cold side.
This issue is not limited to IEC conversions as the original AC cord used on most vintage gear is not polarized.
But I agree that using the polarized version of the C7/C8 cord and socket (C7P/C8P) is a safer alternative.

NOTE: The IEC standard for appliance couplers used to inlude the C7P/C8P but this was dropped from the current revision.

Here is a polarized C7P (one end squared off) next to a non-polarized C8 (both ends are round). 
100px-IEC_60320_C7P_Polarised.png100px-IEC_60320_C7.svg.png 

Greg pointed out an issue with a non polarized plug on the M-200t amp mod he did for me 6 months ago. If the plug was reversed on the amp for testing, it actualy introduced more noise into the amp. Not sure if that would be true of other gear....

Greg pointed out an issue with a non polarized plug on the M-200t amp mod he did for me 6 months ago. If the plug was reversed on the amp for testing, it actualy introduced more noise into the amp. Not sure if that would be true of other gear....
It's true that reversing a non-polarized plug can break a ground loop.
However, the quiet orientation is only "safer" if the fuse is on the hot side.

On my M1.0t as pictured above I have the HOT side of the cord and socket marked.  I don't know about increased amplifier noise but I experience weird displays on my oscilloscope when looking at the triac (if they are reversed).  My socket was a temporary fix.  I will probably just install a regular wired cord sometime in the near future when I finish that project.

....I have the HOT side of the cord and socket marked.
Good idea. I added a dab of white paint on mine. 

....My socket was a temporary fix.  I will probably just install a regular wired cord sometime in the near future when I finish that project.
That's gonna leave a rather large opening in the chassis, isn't it? eusa_think.gif

That's gonna leave a rather large opening in the chassis, isn't it? eusa_think.gif

I did not think that one through before speaking Brick wall.  I guess I will be ordering new polarized sockets soon.

Been there, done that, writing a book about it. face20.gif

Over the last week I performed several tuner calbrations that did not require specialized test gear.
As a result there's been a noticeable reduction of sibilance and background noise in a few formerly marginal stations.
Still, I'm hoping to be Dennis' fisrt customer for a "full monte alignment" once he gets his tuner lab up and running. eusa_pray.gif

Today I swapped the TX-11b into my main system in place of the TX-8r. Here are some new system shots:
20131016160046474.jpg 

20131016161538471.jpg 
Today I pulled out the Nikko Power Distributor and installed an IEC cord and socket.
Going back in I decided to put it on the top shelf under the Furman PS-8R II (sequencer) and C-11.
While I had everything disconnected I also swapped the Behringer EQ and XO with the M-1.0t.
This allowed me to shorten all of the source-to-preamp and XO-to-amp ICs to either 1/2 or 1 meter.
And while I had the cable trays open I ran IEC cords into each bay that didn't have one (for future use).

Unfortunately the photos I took of the back side were out of focus but here's one of the front:
20131017205949892.jpg 
  • 1 year later...
Zack is enjoying his new (to him) Polk SDA-SRS 1.2tl speakers courtesy of member dcl.
We moved them down from the DC area yesterday and got them set up this afternoon.
They need some love (tattered grill/corner cloth, ripped mid surround, dented dust cap) but they sound excellent!
Thanks for the awesome karma David! And thanks to loner-t for helping us load the 180 lbs (each) monsters. 

Packed and loaded in the truck, and (hopefully) rain-proofed 
20150807110211710.jpg 

The old Dakota leaving Dave's place
20150807110311900.jpg 

Set up and pumping out tunes in Zack's bedroom 
20150807110450210.jpg 
  • Thank You 1

Nice! Those KG 2.5's going up for sale? I'd be interested.

Didn't we get them from you in the first place? eusa_think.gif

I'll let you know but Zack mentioned taking the 2.5's to school with my MXR-130. 
I was able to pull out the dented dust cap with a piece of tape.

However, almost all of the 6-1/2" mid bass drivers have rips, tears and/or punctures in the surrounds.
20150808115243776.jpg 

20150808115322907.jpg 

I haven't had any luck finding replacement surrounds so I posted a request at the Polk Audio forum.

I'll let you know but Zack mentioned taking the 2.5's to school with my MXR-130. 
Yes, I miss them! I had another pair, sold those, too. I really like them. I can understand he wants them at school. The 130 is a good match for them. I have another PSB Century 2i sub, or is he bringing that, too?

Yes, I miss them! I had another pair, sold those, too. I really like them. I can understand he wants them at school. The 130 is a good match for them. I have another PSB Century 2i sub, or is he bringing that, too?

Zack won't make a decision about the sub until he moves into the frat house and sees how much space he has.
A couple of his friends will bring whatever gear he chooses when they drive up to see him in a month or so.

Zack won't make a decision about the sub until he moves into the frat house and sees how much space he has.
A couple of his friends will bring whatever gear he chooses when they drive up to see him in a month or so.

If space is a problem, I've got a nice Receiver 900, some Minimus 7W's and a little Optimus sub! Is he a WAAF fan, yet?
  • zumbini changed the title to Power By Carver (aka Zumbini's man cave)