Vinyl

DrummerJuice

The author is spot on about many of his opinions, but I have to question whether he's listened to any of the ultra high quality vinyl releases.  That said, I do enjoy the ritual of vinyl, selecting the album, removing it from the cover, placing it on the turntable, cleaning it with the Disckeeper, ... I love the warmth that is missing from many CDs, but I don't love the static that is a constant battle with vinyl. 

Rod summed it up best though:

4 minutes ago, Rod H said:

Don't obsess about the delivery system, enjoy the music.

Amen!

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 1

I have an opinion about why vinyl is sometimes preferred that I rarely see mentioned in these articles.  I haven’t made any measurements so I could be wrong, but here is what I think.

I beleive that much of the difference is in how it was mixed, and how much dynamic range compression is used.  It is strange that a CD quality digital recording has the capacity for much more dynamic rangethan an LP, but it is rarely used.  If you are listening to any vintage vinyl, there was some compression just to get it to fit within the constraints of the media, but usually that was about it.  But the CD era was also the start of the loudness wars, and in the digital download era it is even worse.  Almost any popular music made in this century is really compressed and loud.  But when it is mixed for an LP, I think that the engineer knows that it won’t just be played over an iPhone speaker and cuts down the compression.  Then to someone who cares about sound quality, it sounds better.

But in the end, I agree with what has already been said.  No matter what it is, enjoy the music.

• Thank You 4

Mastering (done by the pro's) for vinyl was different. They knew the bandwidth and compression realities of the vinyl medium. RIAA equalization and the physical limits of groove width and stylus acceleration etc.

Also music was once produced to give the best results on AM radio broadcasts. Look into the "Wall of Sound" for just one example.

Then there was the whole Loudness War.

• Thank You 3

I remember in the 60s walking around with my Transistor radio......am of course, lol.

I heard somewhere that certain songs were recorded and listened to thru Trans radio, and were re-mixed to

sound the best......dont know if thats true though.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/songs-that-the-transistor-radio-was-made-for.749614/

• Thank You 2

• 1 month later...

Brian D.

I read your post and thought to myself 'Compression'. You know, I cannot ever remember hearing that term used in terms of 'vinyl' . It seems to me that the 'term' was first used in regards to digital recordings because of the large size of the sound files and the restraints of the recording 'medium' being used.

Papajoe 

1 hour ago, jvandyke_texas said:

Ironic that the CD medium which can finally handle music's dynamic range is treated as if it has no value by recording everything hot.

I'm sticking with LPs or FLAC.

Here are a few that will pin your ears back, from a DR standpoint. BE CAREFUL with Time Warp - I’ve heard many a “woofer slap” with this disc...

CAC49D13-37F9-44BF-A888-DB381F07BC1E.jpeg

1E57DB58-C8ED-4D3B-9120-AE3778BB6DD1.jpeg

685A0380-8459-428B-8252-36E6CA2D1FD1.jpeg

22F3B7A6-7385-468C-8433-7A4C6087D061.jpeg

• Thank You 3

Much more to the vinyl than just the sound.  It's a nostalgic derivative of one of the greatest explosion in music history.  It's the art work on the covers, to the pop, click, and hiss, that to a young teenager experiencing the  music explosion of the era that made no difference in the experience to not only the music but the culture that came with it.  The hippie movement, Woodstock et all.   Something that todays teen's never experienced .  Of course as we grew older the more critique we have become in music, and the reproduction thereof; but to me the vinyl era encompassed and shaped our disposition more than anything I can think of. 

• Thank You 3

When I bought my DQ-20's in about 1995 the guy I got them from gave me an old tuner (don't remember the brand JVC or something) and a turn table. He said sell them for me if possible if not just keep them or throw them away. I sold the tuner in a week or two but nobody wanted the turn table.....CD's were in and vinyl was out in the 90's. I put the turn table in the attic of my garage and it sat there for probably 15yrs. 

Decided to get it down and see what I had, I remembered it looking pretty old school with nice wood. I figured it would be a corroded rust bucket after sitting up there so long. It was still mint! And it was a DENON DP-62L omg! Serial #0004 omg! Now I was really excited, so hooked it up after getting advise from BrianT about phono preamps, mm, mc, all that jazz. 

Got it running and showed my kids who were about age 9 and 12, they had never seen such a contraption. Was playing some music for them and my son says Dad how do you fast forward?....lol.... I said you get off the couch lift the needle and set it down on the next song..haha...great memory. 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2
  • Haha 2

Definitely an interesting take on Vinyl.  It made me realize what my fascination with vinyl is, aside from having a collection of LPs most of which didn't make it to CDs.  It's not sound, CDs, etc. have Vinyl beat (the basic premise to vinyl is flawed), and it's sure not convenience, because it's anything but.

No, in my case, I've realized I'm enamored with the technology.  Just the shear mechanical complexity and precision that has gone into them to create very decent quality sound.   I think my work in the digital world (I'm a computer nerd, after all), just the fact it's mechanical, and basically doesn't even add power to the sound it produces (aside from that produced by the cartridge, of course).  I'm drawn to such things, for some odd reason.  I write with fountain pens, stereo over surround sound, tube guitar amps over computer modelling, and physical media, over online digital.  Yeah, I know, it's not justifiable from any logical perspective, but damn it's fun to mess around with.  ?

• That Rocks 1

On 10/20/2018 at 12:48 PM, Sk1Bum said:

The author is spot on about many of his opinions, but I have to question whether he's listened to any of the ultra high quality vinyl releases.  That said, I do enjoy the ritual of vinyl, selecting the album, removing it from the cover, placing it on the turntable, cleaning it with the Disckeeper, ... I love the warmth that is missing from many CDs, but I don't love the static that is a constant battle with vinyl. 

Rod summed it up best though:

Amen!

I always loved that back in the 80’s, recording music onto cassette tape, then putting the album up and listening to the DBX cassette deck......grin

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 2

Interesting video DJ.

Its cause and effect with me.  I can see, feel and hear my vinyl due to my actions. 

Same could be argued with digital, and digital is what I am currently listening to more at this point of my transient life

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
15 hours ago, Rod H said:

@Rod H Love the Denon Tables..., here's my DP-61F "precision balanced with beauty"

2101232015_MyDP61F.thumb.jpg.6c44f659508762011da2865b91f37f92.jpg

11 hours ago, Maddmaster said:

I actually still have a DBX 224 decoder/encoder.

I'm a fan of DBX Vinyl..., the last year or so, the prices for DBX encoded vinyl have quadrupled, it seems...  Dead quiet, through a DBX 225 with the "vinyl disk" option.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

• 5 months later...