New Jazz Albums

RodH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yes, a double take–beard v. no beard?–when looking for a video link. 🤷‍♂️

On this recording, Moonlight Sonata (Beethoven) is enchanting in electronica ambience reinvention. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

a4113865686_10.jpg.763bd2c918d8af1936aa186daa1de67e.jpg

From Jazz Times

The guitarist's new compositions filter his concepts through circuits

"Those only familiar with Diego Barber’s Sunnyside Records output might be taken aback by his latest release on the label, Drago. Its largely electronic sounds seem to be a major departure for a virtuoso on the nylon-string guitar in both classical and jazz settings...Pure guitar may rarely appear on the record, but Barber did use his “best weapon” to generate many of the album’s sounds. He would employ a MIDI-equipped guitar to record a MIDI track, later used to trigger a Spectrasonics Omnisphere software synthesizer and Kontakt sample libraries. “That way I can get sounds that are far removed from the actual guitar,” he says. Less often, he recorded his guitar without MIDI and disguised it with effects. For the non-MIDI parts, Barber went direct and just grabbed an amp from Logic’s wealth of modeling options to form a foundation on which he would then build. “The guitar sound was modified many times, so I didn’t spend a lot of time on the basic tone,” he admits. “It was not the most important thing in this recording.”

This artist is new to me and quite to my liking. It receives approval from overlords of Space & Sound (cats & wife).

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've been looking forward to arrival of this recording in the mailbox. There is a dividing point, according to my wife:  Pat Metheny + Lyle Mays v. Metheny post-Mays.  This has the sonic signature, compositional style–the taste–of Mays with Metheny. I think it is marvelous. And, recorded before an audience, the sonics are impeccable. 

Read more here.

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 4.14.51 PM.png

Edited by dcl
Link fix
  • Thank You 4

91Kp-KK5feL._SS500_.jpg

"The first-time teaming of Poland’s dynamic Marcin Wasilewski Trio and big-toned US tenorist Joe Lovano brings forth special music of concentrated, deep feeling, in which lyricism and strength seem ideally balanced."

Edited by dcl
Link
  • Thank You 2

• 6 months later...

Based on what I see here I have a lot to catch up on. Don't have any current new releases, but it gives me something to work on.

In the past two weeks or more I have added these titles to the collection and looking forward to enjoying them.

Dexter Gordon - Go! LP (Blue Note Classic Vinyl Edition)
Art Blakey Quintet - A Night At Birdland Vol. 2 LP (Blue Note 75th Anniversary Reissue Series)
Miles Davis - Volume 1 LP Blue Note 1501 (Blue Note 75th Anniversary Reissue Series)
Cannonball Adderley - Somethin' Else LP (Blue Note Classic Vinyl Edition)
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Meet You At The Corner of the World Vol. 1 LP  (Blue Note Classic Vinyl Edition))
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers - Meet You At The Corner of the World Vol. 2 LP (Blue Note Classic Vinyl Edition))
Concord On A Summer Night - Dave Brubeck
Summertime - Paul Desmond
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers First Flight to Tokyo
Kenny Burrell  Midnight Blue
Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers  Just Cooling
Dave Brubeck Quartet  Time Changes
Dave Brubeck Trio Featuring Gerry Mulligan  Blues Roots
Coleman Hawkins  The Hawk Swings

This is the reason I had all my gear restored.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1