Carver Fanatic New to the Forum

New to the site but dusting off my Carver gear and getting things back into shape.  I have a M1.5T and C-1 that I have had since brand new.  Both are in need of a little work so I looked around and found this site.  Happy to be here and learn of all the exciting mods and support for Carver gear.  I will be posting the status of my gear and looking for some input for troubleshooting and a few replacement parts.  Sounds like a I need to replace the caps in my amp as a starting point.  I was an certified tech in the mobile electronics world and also in my previous military career as well so I feel pretty comfortable doing average maintenance and soldering.  Happy to be here and look forward to learning from you all. 

Cheers

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 2

Welcome.

M1.5t cap mods require a bit of patience as it can be a challenge to remove the dual caps (8 solder points each).  The rest of it is straightforward.

The C-1 could possible be the easiest to work on out of all of the Carver gear.

Edited by jeffs
typo
  • Thank You 1

Jeffs,   My C1 is in great working order, other than it sounds like the BillD mods are a great upgrade,  I really only need a couple of knobs that are a little scratched up,  so either I repaint them or find some replacements.    My M1.5t is the one I want to work on first, its got 1 channel that works fine and another that either doesn't work or occasionally snaps on with a quick flick of the volume knob.   Never any indicator lights or anything like that.  I was hoping that the Cap mod might be the fix but wanted some expert advice if a non working channel is a symptom of a bad cap.   This amp has been in storage for at least the last 8 years and I am excited to get it up and running again.

• Thank You 1

Welcome aboard. Pictures of gear that is owned from new is a good first step. There are a couple of daughter boards listed on ebay that make the dual can caps easier.

Edited by johnrotten

21 minutes ago, johnrotten said:

Welcome aboard. Pictures of gear that is owned from new is a good first step. There are a couple of daughter boards listed on ebay that make the dual can caps easier.

I will try and post pics tonight and I have found those daughter boards, and think that is probably the route I will go.

15 minutes ago, kingman said:

Welcome 69Chevelle! Do you have a 69?

Yes I do, I have had it since I was a junior in high school,    geeeeez now I am feeling old.   I don't think I can post pics as a newbie,  is that correct

• That Rocks 5

WELCOME aboard 69Chevelle!  |-||-|

Your C-1 and  M-1.5t are very good choices for the heart of your system...

Especially if you have the BillD mod done to your C-1.

What speakers are you planning to drive with the M-1.5t? 

8 minutes ago, Dennis47 said:

WELCOME aboard 69Chevelle!  |-||-|

Your C-1 and  M-1.5t are very good choices for the heart of your system...

Especially if you have the BillD mod done to your C-1.

What speakers are you planning to drive with the M-1.5t? 

I currently have a pair of Definitive Technology towers with the built in 10" subs ( not sure of the model number)  but I am not sure what my long term plan for speakers is.  I have had Cerwin Vega and JBL but am open to others.  My first goal is just to get my Carver gear up to par and go from there.

Edited by 69Chevelle
typo

Welcome to the forum !!!

Your M1.5t is definitely going to need some love to make it shine. If you order the cap board from Circuits & Concepts via a PM from this site he will ship it to you for free for being a forum member.

Lots of documentation on upgrading / updating your C-1.

If you run into questions / issues, don't be afraid to raise your hand.

Glad you found us - post some noise and you'll be able to throw pics up here in no time...

Welcome aboard @69Chevelle!!!

I bought my C-1 & M-1.5t some 15 years ago, rebuilt the M-1.5t last year and did the BillD to my C-1 shortly after the M-1.5t repair.  Has been an eargasmic adventure ever since ?.  I posted my repair in the amplifier, amplifier repair, M-1.5t repair as seen below:

You won't regret the M-1.5t rebuild.  It sounds fantastic now.  Was very grainy and harsh before it died.  But is silky smooth and fabulous now.  That BillD C-1 will blow your mind too.

Turbo

13 hours ago, 69Chevelle said:

My M1.5t is the one I want to work on first, its got 1 channel that works fine and another that either doesn't work or occasionally snaps on with a quick flick of the volume knob. 

The input capacitor can get cold solder joints. It's the big one on the top right of the amp, C35.  Green or brown.  Wiggle it - might be loose.

BillD is a good project if you like to tinker on the bench.

Edited by jeffs
typo
  • Thank You 1

Have you checked C1? (The big brown ceramic caps circled in the pic below) Those are notorious for cold solder joints and you may find it clears up by tapping on them.  If so a reflow of solder is in order.   I didn't have any problem with C1 on mine, but others here have reported problems in theirs.  So I went ahead and reflowed the solder on C1 for mine below just to be safe.

image.thumb.jpeg.9fa4b064d83a002902dc2416adc4a4b6.jpeg

I also re-flowed all of the solder on both amp cards on both sides as circled below.  That is likely your intermittent channel problem.

image.jpeg.618493055a6cbf0016969f8f141a5482.jpeg

Regards,

Turbo

Welcome 69Chevelle. We're glad you found us. The BillD C1 is a very popular mod here, and rightfully so. The M1.5t is also a very popular amp. If you're like most of us, your Carver collection will grow--rather quickly.

You've now earned the permissions to post pics, and you can do that in the Member's Systems area.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.d2caeed42cb7cdf6011b96919c2e7170.gif

7 hours ago, jeffs said:

The input capacitor can get cold solder joints. It's the big one on the top right of the amp, C35. 

Just for clarification, I'm referring to the same cap as Turbo.  I had the PM1.5 schematic open and it's C35 on that amp, but appears to be C1 on a m1.5t.

I literally pulled this cap out on one amp without a soldering iron.

Edited by jeffs
  • Thank You 1