Time for a C-1 Rebuild- suggestions?

Hello Carverites,  I've had my C-1/M-500 combo since 1987.  While still playing I've been hearing more noise and some intermittents in the channels-  it's time to refresh them.   I've hear great things about the BillD mod for the C-1 and have purchased a kit off Ebay but wanted to find out what other things I should be doing while I have the box out of my system and open.  saw some pics of remote control that were added but didn't see any technical detail on those.  Also wanted to find out about DeOxit-  specifically what type of deoxit I need to buy and what components will benefit from treatment (pots and RCA jacks -  anything else?  switches?).  Never used deoxit before and wanted to get some tips and tricks.   C-1 cleanup first then might be moving on to looking at the M-500 if my issues don't go away.  I haven't seen many DIY articles on the M-500.

Thanks and looking forward to discussions with you all.   Apologies upfront-  I only get on the site every couple of days so responses may be delayed.

• Thank You 4

Hello syauch, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help. One or more of the resident techs will be along to answer your questions.

The C-1/M500 or M500t combo is very popular here, and the BillD and mkII upgrades makes them unbeatable for several times the price. I'm presently running that combination, and I'm very pleased with it.

Once you get the needed permissions, please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

So kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.d2caeed42cb7cdf6011b96919c2e7170.gif

Edited by Sk1Bum
  • Thank You 3

Hello and welcome.

I recently did a BillD upgrade on my C-1 and it was a lot of work but does make a big difference. Buy lots of solder wick or a good desoldering tool. My suggestion is to buy a quality desoldering tool like the Hakko FR-301. You will thank me later....lol. I gave up with solder wick about 1/2 way through and bought the Hakko.

Do a search on this site for BillD and you'll find lots of info.

Carter

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 3
  • Haha 1

• Community Admin

Welcome!  This is the right place for all you pursue.

OCCD will afflict you, if not already.

On DeOxit, CAIG makes the product.  Last I looked, there are some very good instructional videos from users, and vendors, on YouTube that can do a great job of showing what to do to a pot (potentiometer) to restore it with the product.  

Here's one:

Welcome aboard.

• Thank You 6

Welcome to the site, The C-1 is fairly easy to work on lots of room!  Many people can offer you suggestions if you have questions!

you have come to the right place for info!

have fun kick off your shoes and grab your favorite beverage, turn up the volume!

glad you found us!

barry

I have all of them.  I find the Fader lube great on my R/C Model Servo motor sliders with carbon tracks.  Fader lube works wonderful quieting down chattering Servo's.

F-5 is okay, But I much prefer the D100L in the bottle.  It is much easier to control how much goes exactly where to.

If I were to only have one, it would most definitely be the D100L bottle.

Turbo

• Thank You 3

Hi all, Mouser has MOQ for the 1uf 50v capacitor..     

Mouser_MOQ.thumb.JPG.f2d5d716ce6d8b740a8ae5edbc9796fb.JPG

I dont think I can find any other use for the 1900 pcs, is it ok to replace this with a general purpose cap or with 

Thinking.JPG.f8863ff1fba94a217d1258e9dfdd8841.JPG    

thank you..

2 hours ago, Bobby1970 said:

I dont think I can find any other use for the 1900 pcs, is it ok to replace this with a general purpose cap or with 

thank you..

It's a non-stocked part - is there a reason you need a 105C part?

2 hours ago, Bobby1970 said:

thank you..

@Bobby1970,

You don't want to order any SMD's for the C-1 Mod.  They must be through hole discrete type components.

Everything you need for the BillD mod is already put together for you in the following link:

Click on "BillD C-1 Mod Upgrade Manual and Parts List"

Once there click on the circled link "Mouser BillD mod project" then enter the access code and you will be rewarded with a cart filled with all you need to complete the mod.  If there are any items that back order, you can get them a Digikey or Jameco.

image.thumb.png.9c54d2d93d432ad031da8906017ad6d4.png

2 hours ago, Turbo said:

@Bobby1970,

You don't want to order any SMD's for the C-1 Mod.  They must be through hole discrete type components.

Thank you..

2 hours ago, Turbo said:

Everything you need for the BillD mod is already put together for you in the following link:

Click on "BillD C-1 Mod Upgrade Manual and Parts List"

Once there click on the circled link "Mouser BillD mod project" then enter the access code and you will be rewarded with a cart filled with all you need to complete the mod.  If there are any items that back order, you can get them a Digikey or Jameco.

image.thumb.png.9c54d2d93d432ad031da8906017ad6d4.png

Thanks again..I should've discovered this site years back..