Migration complete - please resume normal use ×
YardCrap

Audionut vs Audiophile

I gave the first receiver I bought, Technics SA5570, to the Salvation Army or DAV. I still use the Pioneer PL-530, and the ESS speakers are in my bedroom. The speakers have had all the drivers and passive radiators replaced, and the turntable was completely refurbed by John Davies in WA a couple of years ago.

"ya know, I still have that axe my grandfather brought over from the old country. Still use it too. Had to replace the head once, and the handle a couple of times though..."

2 hours ago, Zenith4me said:

...always searching for the ultimate  reproduction of sound while keeping within a budget.

The Obstacle is the Way... (great book) I think this sums us all up quite well. Bob engineered very inventive ways to do this very thing and we all benefit from and celebrate that pursuit! 

Edited by DrummerJuice
grammar
  • Thank You 2

4 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

I still have the first turntable and the first pair of speakers that I ever bought(1979).  Maybe that makes me an AudioHoarder. :D

That has to be the best variant, here, yet!

I don't quite have my first speakers, but I do still have my second set (ignoring the lo-fi, 8-track system I had when just a kid).  

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

5 hours ago, Zenith4me said:

I'd have to say I'm likely an audionut.

I'm passionate about music .....

audionut V audiophile

If phile means beloved, isn't love passion?

by 'nut' I'm assuming the meaning is not a metal fastener, a nutritious snack or an ejaculation, so it probably means 'lunatic' which is technically a mental disorder

So the question now becomes are you passionate or deranged?

Do you enjoy/gravitate toward/admire or otherwise incorporate music into your existence, or does it consume every waking thought, distort your perceptions or otherwise influence your existence in negative ways?

It all depends on how much you spent on your cables.....

Edited by RichP714
  • Haha 5

Stickers

11 minutes ago, RichP714 said:

audionut V audiophile

by 'nut' I'm assuming the meaning is not a metal fastener, a nutritious snack or an ejaculation, so it probably means 'lunatic' which is technically a mental disorder

Do you enjoy/gravitate toward/admire or otherwise incorporate music into your existence, or does it consume every waking thought, distort your perceptions or otherwise influence your existence in negative ways?

Errrrr....I’m consum-mated.  

And.  If it isn’t reproduced by something from The Bobfather I am super critical.  

And. I spent plenty on my cables....from day 1.  ?

I am an audiophile. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RichP714 said:

audionut V audiophile

I may very well be audiocrazy! I am crazy about audio.

Carter

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

8 hours ago, Zenith4me said:

I'd have to say I'm likely an audionut.

I'm passionate about music and it seems I'm always searching for the ultimate  reproduction of sound while keeping within a budget. So maybe I'm a little of both an audiophile and audionut? 

If $ defines an audiophile then I've met people with tons of $ in their system that didn't sound as nice as my Carver gear for much less $. Then again I was a jet mechanic for 6 years and my hearing is compromised, so there is that to take into consideration.

Definition is a funny thing.

When I lived in San Diego during my Navy days (1970's) there was a high end stereo shop that proclaimed it was for "stereophiles only". I remember walking around and seeing high end McIntosh gear that I knew I couldn't afford but would have loved to have. I did buy some Marantz gear from that shop. I had to take out a loan because of my meager Navy paychecks....lol.

Interesting topic. Let's keep it going.

Carter

I almost didnt copy this whole post but ...but...you got it.   the sound.

Listen to the sound.  sound is a weird, small word.  

Part of this post defines specifically what an audiophile is not.  Money is obviously not it.  

You sir, are an audiophile.  

• Thank You 4

“Audionut + Money = Audiophile

Audiophile - Money = Audionut

Audiophile ≠ Audionut ?” by Honey Badger

Hello Yardcrap. I have a stock C1 with the PC as the main source and sometimes the Yamaha CD player.  CD’s are mainly New Wave and rock from Grand Funk, Led Zep, The Ramones, Clash, Nirvana to Stone Tempe Pilots.  I don’t have a turntable but my wife does with some Police, Sting and lovesong vinyls, I don’t use them, why? (they’re at the in laws house).  C1’s mains 1 & 2 goes to a Sony XM-504Z 50W x 4 channel and an Alpine MRP-M450 Monoblock Class D amps, yes all 12 volts DC.  Sony amp is driving a pair of MB Quart QM 130 5.25” component set while the Alpine is in charge for the Sony 12” XS-L126P5 subwoofer jobs.  Think they are all at entry level classification, enough for the house.  The wife hates the tight sound of sealed box so I followed the manual’s ported specs and set the LHF to 55hz dial to soften some more. Changes to 80-100hz when Van Halen etc. is playing. Power comes from a 40 amp power supply with 8ga wires.  Very odd setup, but this is what I can afford to level with my neighbor’s hip hop music and the other’s with their karaoke machines.  Good thing there is a regulation about using these videoke machines in the local area.  Audionut count me in.  We all love music that’s the common denominator I think. A day without hearing music? I cant describe. I have the gear and less money, Audionut again. That’s + 2.  

• Thank You 4

My comment regarding money was just a joke, not intended to be an actual description of the difference between 'nut' and 'phile'.  I think 'phile' is a subset of 'nut', LOL. 

I think Harry Pearson described his passion for audio reproduction equipment the best.  His belief was that it's the pursuit of the "Absolute Sound" which he described as the sound of the real, live event, being reproduced in a way that makes you believe that you are hearing the live event, with every nuance, in your listening room.  His discussions on this also noted that zero distortion reproduction equipment is not necessary (or desired) to achieve the Absolute Sound, and to trust your ears.

• Thank You 6

not sure I fit in either option, right from listening to a 1940's ish tube radio in my pre teens to the 70's, fixing /rebuilding a record player my father found on the side of the road to play my first record Elton John 's greatest hits (still have) to now my wonderful collection of music and all the different ways to play it, don't care if it's perfect but must be Clear.   thanks to this site.    am having trouble figuring out how to say thanks for falling in love with playing music again   THANK YOU ALL.......................................................... David  

is that a nut or a phile   

• That Rocks 5

I'm a bag of 90% water.  My average internal density is similar to very dense jello.

That jello will vibrate with resonant tones when impacted by external audio sources.

Some of these audible sound sources are pleasing to my jello, in that the resonant stimulation increases sodium delivery to my smooth muscle tissue, which in turn reacts to increased serotonin levels by contracting.

This internal tension is interpreted by my brain as pleasure.

Especially if I am in the VIP section, 6 rows back, wearing shorts

Edited by RichP714
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 4

Stickers

I was stationed at Lowery AFB in late '75 when I bought my first 'real' stereo. A Fisher integrated tube amp, a set of JBL speakers and an Akai R2R deck from some guy in the dorm. I took the bus downtown to Pacific Eye and Ear and bought a Rotel TT. Picked up used records at Jerry's downtown. I thought I died and went to heaven. It was a killer rig...or so I thought. I hadn't thought of that in years. Looking back that rig morphed several times before I separated.

I still have the Technics SL-1900B TT and Shure V-15 III G cart from that rig.

I think each path has twists and turns and where I am now is a culmination of experience and exposure to other opinions and gear. Not to mention getting to meet other people and learning to appreciate their take on our hobby and maybe seeing their vision put to practice.

At one point I had 8 Carver amps in my rig, including 3 Lightstars. It was a firebreathing BEAST! Lights in my neighborhood dimmed, babies cried, women swooned, it shook the earth.....then I met George Daniel. He had a small rig set up in the loft of Cabin 1 at the Watershed. It was glorious! George's rig had this huge, deep, immersive soundfield. That afternoon changed the way I look at audio forever. I had an epiphany, that pivotal moment when you realize there is a different way. Tubes. I'm drawn to them like a moth to a flame. Part fiddle factor, part just the warm glow. All of the home old rig is gone now save one Lightstar, supplanted by a bevy of Carver Tubes.  

Right here, right now I couldn't be in a better place.

ray 

Friday night America at the Marion Palace Theatre

Edited by Magnaryder
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 3

While you all are fiddling with appellations, does anybody remember what the definition of an Audiophobe was, in The $ensible Sound?  T$S is now defunct, but I suspect that many 'phobes live on...

This is a fantastic post and I thoroughly enjoy reading each comment and the reasons/thoughts for which side of the fence you fall, or if you are somehow balancing atop the fence.  I can say without a doubt that I am an audionut.  I have been raised around music my whole life.  My father was in a band when I was born and I can remember growing up listening to music, watching him with all his audio gear, vinyl, real to real. etc.  While stationed in Hawaii, my family volunteered at a skating rink and I eventually became a DJ there at the age of 10 helping my dad with the audio gear.  From there I have done competition level car audio, ran my own DJ company and have continued to feed my love of music.  Having been a DJ for years, has helped to broaden my musical tastes,  I listen to just about everything.  I think music is not only about the audio portion but the visual of watching the meters dance and bein able to feel the music when played at the fun volume levels.  

• Thank You 2