Daddyjt

What’s happened to our media?

I follow the news on a regular basis, and I endeavor to consume my news from a wide range of sources – From CNN to Fox News, to Media Matters to The Daily Caller – Because I believe the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

That said, the current state of the media is deplorable.  No, I am not waving the “fake news” banner, but rather expressing disgust in ALL of our current media outlets.  It is becoming almost impossible to find accurate news, sans spin, fabrications, omissions, and narrative-building.

Perhaps the most disturbing trend that I see, is that of “Get the story out FIRST, then determine if it is in fact correct”.  This is demonstrated in the current Jussie Smollett case.  Let me state here and now that I do not believe there is any place in civilized society for an individual(s) that would attack another person and pour bleach on them, regardless of the race/nationality/sexual orientation/et al of the attackers or the victims. Period.  As I read the details of the Smollett case as they emerged, I immediately had questions – “MAGA country” in downtown Chicago at 2am?  Refusal to allow police access to the phone?  Waiting almost an hour to notify police?  None of these questions seemed to give the media the least bit of pause, and you could almost feel the “glee” as they reported this incident – because it fits their narrative.  Now, after the INVESTIGATION, we start to learn the FACTS of the case, and it looks somewhat wobbly, to say the least.

That said, I am reserving my judgement until we have ALL the facts.  Why doesn’t the media do the same?  I have my theory, but I’m interested to hear what you all have to say.  This is a touchy subject, but I think we are grown-up enough to have an adult discussion without going off the rails on a political bender.  With  that in mind, please no shouts of “fake news”, or blanket statements like “liberal bias” -  I’m curious what YOU think is driving the media to such poor levels of execution.

• Thank You 2
  • Sad 3

I remember when the media reported news.  Now they report sensations, and could care less about any facts.  Anything that can be made out to be sensational is good.  Facts and truth just get in the way of a good story.

It's sad, because it seems to have spread pretty much everywhere very fast.  News reports care only about ratings, and not about getting information to the people, and to make it worse, the people all (or at least almost all) seem to gobble this up and want more of the same.   :(

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

37 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

I’m curious what YOU think is driving the media to such poor levels of execution.

I think there are several drivers that you have hit on:

1) Need to get the story out first - regardless of fact.

2) Some political agenda, left or right - everyone guilty.

3) Kind of related to #1 and #2: No repercussions for poor reporting, no retractions, etc.  Maybe some type of correction on the back page in the next edition.  In other words, reporters have to do something egregious for there to be any type of discipline following an inaccurate/incomplete story.

My doctor says "Don't watch the news, it's bad for your health". Not sure I'm going that far but it's unfortunate that when ingesting news, you always have to be aware of the source, and filter accordingly. 

• Thank You 6

Stickers

There has always been some element of bias in the media... Korea/Vietnam -McCarthyism - Cult hysteria  of the 60's and 70's but...

... I believe the "professional" newspeople kept their personal opinions muted.

The press came unhinged when the 2000 presidential election was decided... they lost their reporting skills and concentrated on what

"they believed" should be reported for the "greater good." That event set the bar for "gloves off" reporting from both sides.

I won't get in to the PC culture reporting  other than to state that the "Cambridge police acted stupidly" incident granted

an entire new license to reporting. 

• Thank You 2

I found a news channel on cable here in NC when I got here that seems to strive to be neutral with no agenda or political leaning. Their journalist don’t use inflammatory declarations, as a norm they state the news in a very deadpan manner with no inflections. I would still say they are a just a hair left of center though. Still refreshing indeed!!! Owned by Scripps.

Edited by oldtexasdog
  • Thank You 4

May I suggest that you look at the repeal of the "Fairness Doctrine" and how that led to the commercialization of news departments.

kcetp (retired 38 year veteran of journalism)

• Thank You 5

7 minutes ago, RichP714 said:

$$$

That's pretty close Rich but where does that money come from and how is it generated? WE are to blame for accepting it through watching it and buying the products advertised. Union taught me one thing, people have power if they'd care to use it. We allow media to poison us with half truths, avoiding truth(walls don't work- cool let's outlaw all locks and remove ALL walls.)and talking ambiguously. Before political agendas were so heavily involved they reported "alleged" incidents. Bottom line. ..we allow it to be as consumers and voters.

• Thank You 3

Stickers

16 minutes ago, pindrop said:

That's pretty close Rich but where does that money come from and how is it generated? WE are to blame for accepting it through watching it and buying the products advertised. Union taught me one thing, people have power if they'd care to use it. We allow media to poison us with half truths, avoiding truth(walls don't work- cool let's outlaw all locks and remove ALL walls.)and talking ambiguously. Before political agendas were so heavily involved they reported "alleged" incidents. Bottom line. ..we allow it to be as consumers and voters.

Agreed, and I subscribe that the globe is infected by the worst case of people beat about the head and shoulders with code ID10T.   And I also believe, if you follow the money you will find the answers you seek.  Too bad there's so many afflicted with ID10T they can't see it.  If viewership vanished, so too would those dispensing tripe.

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

29 minutes ago, kcetp said:

May I suggest that you look at the repeal of the "Fairness Doctrine" and how that led to the commercialization of news departments.

kcetp (retired 38 year veteran of journalism)

Yes,  @kcetp - I think you hit the nail on the head.  That pretty much coincides with when things started to degrade, rapidly.  Very sad but true.

Many of us miss real journalists, like yourself.

• Thank You 1

35 minutes ago, Turbo said:

If viewership vanished, so too would those dispensing tripe.

There it is....and please know that media isn't the only "show" in Washington. The money wouldn't be there if it weren't for us. Only we can straighten it out by the sheer force from our fingers. Turn it off, vote it out.

• Thank You 3

Stickers

I believe that the media has become much more of a “for profit” venture and less of a calling to find the truth.  The most effective way to generate revenue is through loyal listeners that keep tuning in. This is accomplished by telling them what they want to hear.  It is human nature to seek out input that validates one’s own ideas.  This has left us with a collection of sources that all present the news filtered through the bias of their brand of ideology.  The fact that is nearly impossible to find neutral and uncolored news tells us that there is not enough money to be made presenting it that way.  I find this concerning and very sad.

• Thank You 4

Stickers

I believe a few things have happened to the media. In no particular order...

News for profit  =  Click Bait!

Opinion instead of news = Divisiveness. 

Curated news from the search Giants. (you see more of the news stories that you seem to like) Creates a myopic view of reality!

• Thank You 2

@compwacoI believe you are right.  I was channel surfing and ran across Colin Cowherd's sports talk show.  His opinion is that we, as individuals, watch news to be validated not informed.  I had not thought about news in that manner; but could see it in my choices.  Frankly, it has come to the point I can not stand to watch any "news outlets".  To make choices and informed decisions, we need relevant and factual information.  We do not get it.

• Thank You 2

6 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

I’m curious what YOU think is driving the media to such poor levels of execution.

I think it's primarily driven by profits, i.e., higher ratings to increase ad revenues. Each network will cater to their core base. 

Janet Cooke won a Pulitzer for her story in the Washington Post, Jimmy's World in September 1980. It's not new, but at least in the early 80's it was the exception.

5 hours ago, oldtexasdog said:

I found a news channel on cable here in NC when I got here that seems to strive to be neutral with no agenda or political leaning. Their journalist don’t use inflammatory declarations, as a norm they state the news in a very deadpan manner with no inflections. I would still say they are a just a hair left of center though. Still refreshing indeed!!! Owned by Scripps.

OANN was that way when I subscribed to AT&T U-verse. Absolutely deadpan reporting. It's not available here on my cable network, so I have no idea if it's drifted one way or the other.

• Thank You 1

I guess I need to recuse myself from this conversation in that I’m what one would call biased and opinionated. That being said, I don’t think I could provide an objective opinion if I wanted to as I haven’t watched a regular network propaganda-cast in years.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

Nothing is exempt from this kind of 'news'. I can hardly stand to watch the weather forecast, just waiting for something about to be sensationalized.  If there is any deviation from last years weather, then you are going to hear about global warming {We told you so}. Or ,as if,  it isn't winter weather every year man. Yes, it is going to be below zero tonight... Welcome to Wyoming.

But I digress. No, I don't bother much with the news anymore. What drives them? Money? yes, but sometimes even things such as ego and more.

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

News reporting has long since become a corporate money maker, at a number of levels.  They used to see us as citizens; now we are treated as consumers.

Even PBS takes corporate money now, after their  public funding was cut off in the 80's.

There are a few non-corporate, non-profit news outlets, but you have to seek them out; their coverage is limited, and largely ignored.  That's the way the 1% wants it, and they hardly ever fail to get what they want.

RR

• Thank You 2

Pure and simple, media is politicized because of who owns and operate the media.  I saw somewhere that over 80% of journalists are democrats, and again where journalists get their education and that education is politically ran.  I know people don't like talking politics on here but some things are not separable,  just like cake and frostings. 

• Thank You 2

I agree with a lot of what has been said, especially money and ratings. 

I think one of the primary things driving such poor reporting out of the mainstream media is their own struggle to remain relevant in the face of YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, blogs, podcasts, etc.  Mainstream media simply is not equipped to compete with the speed and format/distribution of said information formats. 

Take a police shooting - A Facebook livestream can be uploaded and viewed 50,000 times before a news station can have a reporter on scene. The uploaded video is being viewed/shared at an exponential level, while the “news” is putting their story together. This creates tremendous pressure to get the story out NOW, with accuracy taking a distant second place. 

People used to hear about such happenings FROM the news.  Now, by the time they see it on the “news”, they’ve already heard about it, in most cases. So now, in order to get people to watch the news coverage, they feel the need to “take a side”, and bolster a point of view. Yes, this alienates 50% of viewers, but 50% is better than 0%.  So you end up with narrative-driven “coverage” that sensationalizes everything, like the “Breaking Story” banners that never seem to leave the screen on CNN or Fox. 

• Thank You 4

I wish I could say I'm surprised but in a country that embraces garbage like "The Bachelor", "Real Housewives", etc...

I think the inability of the audience to actually analyze what the news is saying vs what the news might be is so prevalent that it no longer matters.

• Thank You 7

Stickers

This topic jogged my memory... 

Does anyone remember when the national tv news broadcasts used to have an “Opinion” segment?

The crude graphics would literally flash “Opinion” at the bottom of the screen. 

It it is possible that this still happens but I wouldn’t know. I stopped watching in 2000 on election night when Tom Brokaw said “I think we won”

... or am I wrong 

Edited by itchitch
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

the 24hr news cycle pioneered by CNN caused the news media outlets to "fill" in the hours with opinion pieces and with the complexity of politics the broadcasters found that people like to be told what to think. It's unfortunate when neither box (CNN or FOX for example) fit anyone perfectly. So you have to wade through a lot of garbage to find the truth. On another note, it's an unfortunate trend that a growing number of people get their news from the Comedy Channel. While entertaining, some the of the topics are getting laughter instead of the outrage they deserve (from both sides of the political divide)