Special Offer on the LP1 tube preamplifier for Carver site members

iamjohngalt

@DaddyJT 

"Can you share the impedance of the volume pot? Remote volume is a deal-breaker for me, and curious of the possibility of modding it..."

Hi.... We use the ALPs 20K although we have also used a 100K with good results as well, although the 100K is a bit more sensitive at the bottom end and the 20K seems a bit more linear...no difference in sound though...only in the volume settings for the unit. We already have a remote kit that can easily be added to the unit and quite possibly our next model will include it, but the power transformer I had custom built for this unit already has extra taps at 6v, 9v and 12v for adding any options that might be needed. The remote we found has power on and off, mute and volume. It already has the motorized ALPs pot on it and it fits perfectly into our face plate. It requires 5 volts to run it and the 6 volt tap from our transformer will work perfectly since the remote board already has a 7805 5 volt regulator built in. The only thing that needs to be changed aside from the volume control is the main power switch that we have. It needs to be changed to a momentary switch instead of a latching switch. Fortunately we planned ahead on this and the switch we use is already available in both latching and momentary. Change that out and add the remote kit and one power relay which is controlled by the remote board  (the relay costs less than $10) and there you have it. Easy squeezy. I'd estimate several hours to do the complete changeover.

Edited by fxbill
  • Thank You 2

• 1 month later...

If you are in the Philadelphia area and want a listen to this preamp, I will be hosting an audio meet on June 15th from 10 to 5 at 100 Frontage Rd. Cherry Hill, NJ 08034.