Daddyjt

What was in your first system?

As the title implies - besides the requisite boom-boxes in the 80’s, my first “real”(!) system was based around a Sanyo Quadraphonic receiver playing through a pair of Sony “transmission line” speakers (SS TL 1), with a Pioneer 6-disc magazine based CD changer.  I bought the speakers new from Fred Meyer for $160 with my employee discount. The CD player came from there too, for $120.  (None of the photos below are my personal gear, but just pulled from on-line)

The receiver was a hand-me-down from my mother.  Not only was the volume potentiometer shot, the individual level pots for the quad channels were shot too. This required finding the spot where the sound was working, then adjusting volume with the Pioneer CD players variable gain. 

The speakers had surprising bass for a 6” woofer, due to the transmission line porting. 

The whole system was a cobbled mess, looking back. However, the joy I derived from it was immeasurable. In fact, in some ways, I think I enjoyed that system more than the clearly superior gear I now possess - please don’t take that wrong, I have great gear now, and I’m thankful to have it. I’m just saying that at that time of my life, that system meant more to me than my current gear does. Shit, that doesn’t sound right either... if what I’m saying makes sense to you, then I’m happy - if you think I’m an idiot, then I probably didn’t explain it right. Or maybe I’m just an idiot... there’s a fair chance of either.

What was your first system, and what did you think of it?

A3D517C1-743A-40CF-A576-DDEAC14264F7.jpeg

2BFAD467-F479-4EC2-9683-E098A649652B.jpeg

C49F12EF-B44D-471C-9E76-D97BC0ABE15D.jpeg

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

Kind of like a first "true love", Mark.  Might find something better later, but the sweetness of the first can never be replicated.

My first system was a Yamaha integrated amp and Yamaha tuner.   Had a pair of first production  Klipsch Heresys.   Had (still have it) B&O 4004 turntable.  It has been so long since I have had system setup that I'm not sure what the hell I have or how it is going to sound. 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Hmmmmm...If I remember correctly, it was a Pioneer SX-550 with a Technics SL-1400 TT and a pair of ESS speakers with Heil Air-Motion transformers.....It's been almost 50 years since I had that system.

Pioneer.jpg.5eef11e63d7896eb1e18ccf5d5a73406.jpg

Technics.jpg.06c9ef1ce3228017750a8c3374f34be4.jpg

Heil.jpg.1e13f578ff06de9050e518081d55ed1f.jpg

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)

https://thecarversite.com/index.php?/topic/18268-the-one-that-you-let-go-greatest-regret/&do=findComment&comment=195287

This is the hi-fi i had when I was a teenager. (parents divorced and I got my dad's stereo) Sansui Receiver, Dual Turntable and Grundig speakers. (not images of my gear) Got rid of it all when I moved to Calgary to go to school and went to digital. 

1148708_orig.jpg

images.jpg

ae8b3130f2183a35571b57df8d2e3ed5--audiophile-nirvana.jpg

Edited by DrummerJuice
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

A Marantz 1060 amp with AR-4a speakers and an AR turntable. It was a very good sounding system. Wish I still had it.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

My first system was the Pioneer PL - 530 turntable hat I still use, Stanton 681EEE cartridge, Technics SA 5570 receiver, and ESS Tempest LS4 speakers. I still have the speakers too, and they're in use in my bedroom. The cartridge is long gone, and the receiver was donated to either DAV or the Salvation Army. I bought the system in 1976 -- it may have been 77. 

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

I’m not really sure where to start this waltz down Memory Lane but all I had was a portable record player when I started college in the late 60’s. I was living off campus and when my roommate flunked out of college he took all of my records with him. That led me to a 12 Volt converter so I could move my car Tape player inside and listen to 8 tracks through a small pair of homemade speakers. He’ll, that’s all I could afford. Following college, I was still broke but a good friend of mine had landed a job with Giant Corporation, a big box retailer that soon went into bankruptcy. He worked in the accounting department and they kept him around to assist with their liquidation. He was able to get me a couple of small Sanyo amps and a Sanyo preamp along with an AR turntable at fire sale prices before they went to a liquidator. That’s It - no tuner, no cassette player and CDs hadn’t even been introduced to the marketplace. That’s OK - I was in Hog Heaven and ran this combination through a pair of “store bought” Radio Shack” Speakers.

Fast Forward to 1976 and I had my first “real job” in the corporate world. When I received my first Bonus, I headed to a local Stereo Shop and bought a Marantz 250m Amplifier, a 3800 Preamp and a 125 tuner. I also picked up a Sharp Cassette deck and went back to Radio Shack for some better speakers. I kept these same Marantz components until about 5 years ago and had the amp and preamp rebuilt a couple of times. I wound up selling this and a bunch of other Marantz gear a few years ago and got quite a premium to what I originally paid. My transition to Carver had already begun and since then, it’s pretty much been Carver all the way. I should add that I was exploring a conversion to Phase Linear when I first learned of these components bearing the name of Phase Linear’s founder. I haven’t looked back since then.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

Posted (edited)

What I consider my first "real system" was what I purchased after a month of working my first job out of college in 1982.  I was still living at home, so I had some income....grin.  It was a Yamaha R-500 receiver, K-500 cassette deck, and Bose 301 speakers (don't shoot me).  It sounded good compared to the cheap stuff I had prior to that.  I eventually upgraded those components a piece at a time (imagine that) until I had what I could afford.  I had gotten married, so that slowed down my audio pursuit.  Since being divorced, I have built my dream system of separate components.  I guess since this first system I have always had OACD.....Obsessive Audio Collecting Disorder........grin 

Bose 301.jpg

R-500.jpg

K-500.jpg

Edited by Dadvw
added pictures
  • Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

Stickers

Wasn't there a thread already on this somewhere?  I need to reference it to recall what I had... memory lapse.  LoL ?

(Audio night last night with the local "stereo guys" I hang out with..., perhaps I was out too late, or had too many root beers' to recall.)

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

Stickers

Posted (edited)

About 1974 or so; My first system was Panasonic cd4 quad-system small speakers, but sounded ok for the time!  DSOM in quad!  Now that was fun, I remember finding the perfect spot on LR floor to lay,  turn off lights and play!  @AndrewJohn it seems to me another thread on this topic exists too!

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

Not counting the tiny wannabe boombox (unknown Panasonic iirc) I started with as a kid with "big" 5" speakers..and then my JVC RC-M90 aka "The King" which I am still kicking myself for selling uber cheap to my now former brother in law since his died and i had a "real system"

JVC-RC-M90-1.jpg

Ny "real system" I actually mostly still have.. scary enough.  My Technics SU-V40 AA class integrated amp with a whopping 50WPC..  (actually given it;s class it actually punched wayyyyyyyy above its weight for quality all things considered unlike most of it;s so called siblings)  Sadly it is dying and in a way that is actually how I ended up here now.

s-l1600.jpg

Add to the amp a technics compact cassette deck (can't recall the model atm but it used the same head and part of the same circuitry as a Denon model at that time).  A Sansui analog AM/FM tuner rounded it out with speakers I scrounged together with salvaged 8" alnico driven paper coned real rubber surround woofers from a 1960s massive "home unit" and tweeters being a simple 1" cone saved from a set of blown up pos fisher speakers..  rewired with a basic 12db x-over at 2.5K and poof...  it was a system of sorts and it's been abused for litterally decades for my personal listening in various forms.

Speakers are long gone..  but I still have the rest all these many many years later..    and since my amp is dying I was digging through box of old stuff and found some parts I got when I was much younger and was working on building my own custom amp..  that along with many other things got put on hold with my 1st son...  and my love of Carver continues to be a dream unfulfilled. (Never yet have I had a chance to own anything Carver).

That said I found this site actually while trying to research Bobs designs he ended up using for his Sunfire amps..  hoping i can adapt such to parts I have etc etc and make a sweet semi-clone of sorts on the cheap.

Oh and hi ya all from here in canuckistan.  New here obviously but already from reading looks like a fun plac with good people.. a rarity anymore sadly.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 2

Hello Shalimar, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help along your journey.

So kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.d2caeed42cb7cdf6011b96919c2e7170.gif

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

13 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Wasn't there a thread already on this somewhere?  I need to reference it to recall what I had... memory lapse.  LoL ?

(Audio night last night with the local "stereo guys" I hang out with..., perhaps I was out too late, or had too many root beers' to recall.)

I think that thread was ones that you let go, greatest regrets!

1 hour ago, Shalimar said:

Oh and hi ya all from here in canuckistan.  New here obviously but already from reading looks like a fun plac with good people.. a rarity anymore sadly.

Welcome Shalimar!

What part of our beautiful country do you inhabit? I'm on Vancouver Island!

welcome home.jpg

• That Rocks 1

Like a couple of you, I too, started in the quad world (possibly one reason I'm so fond of SH).  However, my first, quad, system was an almost no-name (Soundesign), ultra low end receiver, with (gasp) a built-in 8-track player.  The speakers were even more junk (1 way), 4" or 5".  The BSR turntable I was able to get actually had a magnetic cartridge, and I needed a phono preamp.  But, it got me hooked on audio.

I still have that receiver - it served as my tuner for many years - shows how much I use a tuner, eh?

Come University, that gave way to my first decent equipment.  I picked up a nice little Sansui amp, all of 15 watts per channel, but it could rock out just fine. 

$_57.jpg

That was followed the next year by a decent Sony direct drive turntable and a small pair of Yamaha speakers.  I finally had tolerable sound.  I still have those components, except the speakers (they gave way at the end of University to a pair of much larger, 4-way Sansui S-45C speakers), and they are my basement system.  

SONY-PS-T1-Semi-Automatic-Direct-Drive-T649026114_large_695fb45f4aafb4077148cc07

My main system finally moved to a Sony receiver with a "much better wattage" somewhere north of 100 per channel.  ?  Not the best move ever - it was cantankerous from the start, and had more in common with a small transceiver radio for sound, than anything "audioXXXX"  When it died, I needed something fairly quick, inexpensive, and with a far better sound.  That lead me to my current Yamaha receiver, which will sometime soon migrate to the basement system, to make way for some nice new Carver gear.  ~^

2083219434_yamahareceiver2.thumb.jpg.f430b72cbae6aade652f0e5b568a7493.jpg

The Sansui speakers got swapped out about 15 years ago, for my current Missions.  As nice as I thought the Sansui's were, the Missions were in a whole other class.  I keep being tempted by other speakers, but when it comes down to it, I would need to go up several levels for it to make sense, so they're staying.

1ad11c07-7ba3-48c2-b484-95a6ba3c082f.jpg

I see a lot of people who seem to be hesitant about having done the mix and match through the years.  That, to me, was always the advantage of separate components.  It let you upgrade, one bit at a time, get the features you wanted, and it was fun!   I consider doing that a big plus.

Finally, and FAR from least, WELCOME @Shalimar!  Great to have another Canuck in the mix!  ~^  There are a few of us here, but nowhere near enough.

• Thank You 4

In 1993, I bought a Yamaha RX 570 receiver and B&W DM 610 speakers.  I still use the 570 for listening to music on the deck in the summer.  i traded the 610s for  B&W 602 first generation speakers in 1998 or 1999.  Still use those in the bedroom.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

I remember the first "system" I had.  It was a standalone record player that my parents allowed me to have in my room.  I would play their Beach Boys and Elvis 45's.  My brothers had no interest, but I would spend hours playing records.  My first bona fide system was one that my mom bought me in the mid to late 80's.  It was a an all in one system, but it had a CD player.  I was the first of all my friends to have one.  I think I had 5 CDs for the longest time.  Back then, CDs were about $20 a pop and that was pretty steep for me.  However, I can remember playing and enjoying GNR's Appetite for Destruction on an endless loop and enjoying the hell out of it.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)

@AndrewJohn and @BarryG your memory is not that bad yet

The thread in question was made by myself a while back. Not to derail this wonderful thread DaddyJT made but its here if anyone wants to check it out again

Edited by CT-Seven
  • That Rocks 4

Posted (edited)

Memory coming back to me... ? When I was 12, I was in and out of the hospital..., my mother picked this up from the local Service Merchandise (my first music-maker) to keep me company when parents drove home for the night, two hours away from Blessing Hospital in Quincy, IL.

1707230070_GEClockRadioC4315A.jpg.3f78475096bbdc8fccd58b74d5e12915.jpg

In High School, there was a local "Lafayette Stereo" (on Lafayette street - not associated with the chain of stores) in my local town.  I spent hours in that store..., saved up to buy Kenwood   LS-407b speakers, KA-?? amp, KT-?? Tuner, KX-?? Cassette Deck and a Technics SL-220 entry level belt drive TT with an ortofon cartridge.  The stack looked something like this (pick from internet):

Capture.JPG.1a7c3713dd6322d35de948aa178889b4.JPG

I had both the Rack Handles and the Solid Walnut side panels, which I swapped occasionally.  I always coveted the TOL Kenwood of this era (mine was all I could afford). The TOL was some serious gear at the time, right up there with Yamaha and Phase Linear separates that were on display at the shop.  The holy grail (I did not have, was the "b" version of these separates in a black faceplate (really "pewter").  I lugged these separates from dorm to dorm, home and off-campus rentals for years, keeping their original boxes.  Even had them when I first got married.  Wish I had kept them.  Amp failed, and I sold the stack to a HS kid as a project.  The Kenwood speakers were unique, they did not have a cross-over, but had tuning to the tweeters.  I blew the tweeters more than once.  

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 4

Stickers

Mine was an earlier version of this model. https://reverb.com/item/19787299-sherwood-s-5000-ii-tube-amp-and-s-3000-solid-state-tuner-1960-s-brown-silver?gclid=CjwKCAjwvbLkBRBbEiwAChbckQiwVLKRU34VxZ_-9eTzK_5RgDnAHb46ZnuFCbP-ozVhQKkCzlT0qBoCYyAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&pla=1

it drove to Radio Shack speakers (I built the cabinets). Sources were a Garland TT and. Panasonic 8 track player.

• That Rocks 1

14 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

Hello Shalimar, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help along your journey.

So kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.d2caeed42cb7cdf6011b96919c2e7170.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome.. I'm looking forward to reading through more here and perhaps fiding some info to help on that insane idea of a custom clone or so

As for sittin back and cranking the tunes..  sadly not realistically possible right now due to aformentioned antique technics being on deaths door.. and while I do have a home theatre setup of sorts (nothing uber highend by any means) it really does best with movies..  for old fashioned 2 channel stereo it somehow lacks so to speak  

Just ask my youngest whom is certainly a Pink Floyd fan and knows the difference between the HT setup and "daddys" system :)

Oh and fair warning.. site is being glitchy on my htpc (can't post at all for starters) so I'm having to work on a crappy rca tablet more intended for the kids..and that appears to cause some strange artifacts as well.. such as posting dates being incomplete or missing entirely)  SO for the moment you will see some posts from me i'm sure that don't necessarily reflect the date of the thread etc

(another glitch.. it won't quote more than once post properly in a reply without manual editing etc..)

• Thank You 1

That explains the "zombie" threads being resurrected. I think some of them got truncated in the migration to the new site last year or a site upgrade since the migration.

• Thank You 1
  • Confused? 1