Daddyjt

Wise advice you've been given in your life?

My grandfather was really the only father figure I had growing up.  He passed many years ago, and although I learned a great deal from him, one of my greatest regrets is that I took him for granted to a significant degree when he was alive.

Anyway, there are two pieces of advice that he gave me when I was younger that didn't really sink in at the time.  However, I now see the absolute truth in them, and thought I'd share here:

1.  A man should never be without a knife and a pen.

2.  Never skimp on your shoes, your mattress, or your tires.

What sage advice have you received from important people in your life?

• Thank You 5
  • That Rocks 1

My mother was the mainstay of my life during my formative years; she had many bits of advice but one stuck out and has followed me through all time:

"Things happen for a reason"

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)

A couple of things I recall my mother saying was,

"When you find that you're digging yourself into a hole, put down the shovel."

"Be nice to people even if they're not nice back." 

My dad didn't give much advice, but he had some things he said from time to time:

"No politics at the dinner table. Your mom's cooking is bad enough." -- I don't recall him ever saying this where Mom could hear it.

"This is America son. You're free to do or say whatever you want. Just not in my house."

"Stupidity should be painful."

Edited by Sk1Bum
clarity
  • Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

The day I completed Basic Training at Lackland Air Force Base, my Dad was there for my graduation ceremony, as he was for all the important events in my Air Force Training, and took me out to dinner.  When we were sitting in the car right before I got out he presented me with a beautiful Seiko watch.  And said something I'll never forget.  "Son, I presented you with this watch as a symbol of the most precious gift of all... time."  "It goes by so quickly Son, he said."

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 1

"Consider the source." It was meant to examine all aspects of the person speaking to you, regardless of your snap judgement.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

I'll always remember walking into a new customers shop and meeting the owner. He must have just gotten back from court. He told me that if I ever need to go to court than hire the best lawyer around, keeps the opposing party from hiring them. Whatever it was, he was happy. Years later I heeded his advise. That was for my divorce.

BillWojo

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

52 minutes ago, BillWojo said:

"Years later I heeded his advise. That was for my divorce."

Oh nooo Mr. Bill....

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

For me (sometimes it has been as in very) and everyone else who makes it a daily practice. 

• Love this! 1

12 minutes ago, MLB111 said:
9 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

For me (sometimes it has been as in very) ...

I think it's safe to say that most of us have shared that experience. 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

To get what you want, you have to deserve what you want. The world is not yet a crazy enough place to reward a whole bunch of undeserving people.” 
~Charles T. Munger 

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Just now, DrummerJuice said:

To get what you want, you have to deserve what you want. The world is not yet a crazy enough place to reward a whole bunch of undeserving people.” 
~Charles T. Munger 

Sadly, we have a new crop of politicians that think otherwise.

• Thank You 3
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

Sadly, we have a new crop of politicians that think otherwise.

and don't get me started on Millennials, Youtube sensations, and Instagram models!

• Thank You 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DrummerJuice said:

and don't get me started on Millennials, Youtube sensations, and Instagram models!

Oh please do.

• Haha 3

46 minutes ago, MLB111 said:

For me (sometimes it has been as in very) and everyone else who makes it a daily practice. 

“Life’s hard. It’s even harder if you’re stupid.”

~ John Wayne

4 minutes ago, DrummerJuice said:

How about the NEW class = “Influencers”... hey, if you can get people to pay you for it, what the hell...

• Haha 5

Back in university, an accountant/management guy told my class; "get a house that's paid for, get a car that's paid for, and make maximum contributions to your RRSP"

My dad once said; "Stay away from women with thin lips"

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Balok said:

My dad once said; "Stay away from women with thin lips"

Don't remember any of my ex-wives having thin lips; but, to a woman, their lips never stopped moving.

• Haha 5

"If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." - My Mom, who lives by those words much better than I do.

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer to the end you get, the faster it goes." - My good friend and neighbor Steve.

"Always date women with small hands - it makes your d!@# look bigger." - Security guy at a Costco I worked at a long time ago.

"Don't f#%$ the help - it makes them lazy." - The General Manager at my first engineering job, referring to a very hot young lady in the office who didn't do much work there.

• Thank You 5
  • Love this! 1
  • Haha 1

Stickers

RESPECT.

Its what I have tried to instill in my son and how I attempt to deal with everyone.  We all have different opinions and mindsets on everything in life and beyond.  Just respect that.  

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 1