Daddyjt

Wise advice you've been given in your life?

Posted (edited)

My father said:

No one owes you anything, if you want it, go earn it.

Respect is earned, not given freely. 

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

If Momma trots, Papa trots, colt can't pace.

Momma's saying:

Do unto others as you would have others do unto you.

(in regards to torn clothing)   I bet you would have stopped if that was your skin.

Some boys grow up to be men, and some never grow up, be sure you are the the one that grows up.

Edited by danowood
  • Thank You 1

This wasn't said to me but I overheard it at age 10 and never forgot it.....My old Polish grandmother was standing on our back steps giving my dad (the wisest man I have ever known) hell about how our backyard looked. It was the wiffle ball field of the neighborhood.  Great worn base paths, HP, pitchers mound, bases etc. in the grass.  Finally he said "Ma we're raising kids, we're not raising grass"  Even now as I type this at 65yrs old, a gentle tear comes, remembering my dad.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

15 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

“Life’s hard. It’s even harder if you’re stupid.”

~ John Wayne

How about the NEW class = “Influencers”... hey, if you can get people to pay you for it, what the hell...

55618302_2083043231803624_6931900520789442560_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_eui2=AeHFCUJgFYe6J47rAYQ8Upy33BEVdh1zXdFdV9aKd7oUnvWLR-1YN8nBJj97lZFjj520DxCSCY5epMz06_ebo2GGeEXUF3cTy4BZuEBGvaiurA&_nc_ht=scontent-ort2-1.xx&oh=0367da5d117130e4448b85b9838ede0a&oe=5D0C98A8

• Haha 3

My grandfather was a design engineer with Pratt and Whitney. One of the engines his team designed is on display at the Smithsonian.

He always told me  "Be quick to listen and slow to speak." 

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 2

Stickers

I remember one thing my dad said that struck me as profound.  Let me set the scene. He had gotten fed up with the traffic, smog and people of Los Angeles so he and my mom bought a place in Montana. They rented it out, with the plan to move there when he retired. However, upon retirement, my mom informed him that she didn't want to live in that house.  I assumed his reaction would be something along the lines of "tough, we're moving there anyway". Instead he told me. "Son, I might not be a smart man, but I know that I don't want to live in a house with a woman who doesn't want to be there."

• That Rocks 3