Carverpro

Worst vehicle you have ever owned?

Mine has and still is a 03 ford ranger 4x4. I was in an accident 3 years back during winter and needed a vehicle fast to get back to work. I live 25 miles away from my job. The truck had a fresh inspection on it and drove good so I bought it. Within a few weeks it was thumping a bit from the front end when going over bumps.

Took it to a mechanic who checked it out and said  " Your wheel is about to fall off "...and that's where the long journey began. I bought the truck for $3000 and have put $3000 into it over 3 years. Passenger side upper control arm, both front wheel hubs, front sway bar links, 2 front rotors, drivers side caliper, both rear drums, hold down kits, wheel cylinders,  both emergency brake cables, shocks front and rear, exhaust,  coil, plugs, wires, both front lower control arms, body work, box has been taken off twice to patch up frame,  gas tank strap.  I am probaly forgetting a few things

...This has all happened in 30,000 miles! The only reason I have kept it is because I need a 4×4 for the winter time where I live...." Ford Tough"....yeah right. Once this is done I will  never buy another ford product.  That felt good to get that off of my chest...lol

• Sad 1

My worst car was a 1979 Rally Sport Camaro that I bought new off the showroom floor. It had a door rattle that turned out to be a Pepsi can inside the door. It had the transmission repaired twice, then replaced under warranty. Paint was flaking off in 3 years, and Chevrolet would do nothing about it. I had the whole car repainted 1976 Cadillac Fire Mist Blue. My ex took it when we divorced, and I still call myself lucky. Two birds, one stone.

That was the last GM product that I've owned.

• Haha 5

2004 Ford Powerstroke 6.0L diesel. 

I was towing my 5th wheel camper from Montana to the Oregon coast for a family vacation. Coming out of the Columbia river gorge in Vantage WA, I notice a slight power drop. When I reached the top of the hill, all seemed fine. I stopped for fuel in Ellensberg WA, and the truck was blowing a huge amount of white smoke out of the tail pipe. 

A guy at the gas station who happened to be a diesel mechanic walked over and said “another Powerstroke head gasket bites the dust”, and gave me his card. He told me to get to a campground and unload the camper before I turned the truck off. So I filled the coolant and drove to a camp ground in town. Unloaded the camper and stopped the truck - immediate hydro lock. 

Had the the truck towed to the dealership, rented a Tahoe and spent a weeks vacation in Ellensberg WA while my truck was fixed. As for the truck, I ended up paying $6,000 for new head gaskets, and new EGR, and new inter cooler. The geniuses at Ford designed the truck such that the WHOLE CAB has to be lifted off the frame to pull the heads.  The warranty was 5 years or 100k miles on the Powerstroke. I was at 57k miles, and 5 years 2 months. When I asked about that I was told “sorry, out of warranty”.  In doing some internet research, the head gasket issue is WELL KNOW, and Ford did NOTHING to help out afflicted customers. 

6 months later, the ECM computer went out, which was another $2,200. 

I am now a Chevy guy, and will never own another Ford. 

• Sad 5

My worst car is worth a ton of money, now. A 1969 Chevy El Camino SS. I got it in a trade for services(65 T-bird engine swap) in Socorro, NM with a bad 327 instead of the 396. I bought a 66 Chevy sedan for $80 and put the 283 into the ElCo. It smoked badly, never wanted to start, interior was shot, so I traded it for a Gremlin with bald front tires and drove it 2200 miles back home. The Gremlin got stuck in snow, blew the tranny, so I junked it.

I've owned well over 2000 cars. Only ever bought one new, a 1986 Toyota Van Wagon mini cargo van. 

• Sad 1

1996 Ford Explorer that I bought brand new. I had to replace both of the front 4 wheel drive hubs right after the warranty expired. Then I started getting check engine lights and had to replace all of the oxygen sensors....twice. A laundry list of other problems. When I hit 90K the head cracked. Enough was enough with that Explorer. I sold it to a coworker and will never buy another Ford product.

A runner up would be a 1971 Ford Pinto wagon that my dad gave to me when I got out of the Navy in 1980...something was always sucking money out of my pocket with that car.

My best car was my first car....a 1955 Chevy Belair that I bought for $140 in 1971.

Carter

• Thank You 1

I had an 1970 AMC Rebel SST that the only thing that worked on it was the power-steering; there were so many problems with it that there isn't enough room here to spell it out.  I see why AMC went out of business; worst pile of junk I've ever owned.... :V:

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

....I have owned plenty of junkers in my time. In the top three stands a GMC truck that I couldn't repair fast enough for it to break down yet again in an entirely new way. I remember driving it to a dealership as a trade in. The salesmen were leaning on a steel rail fence waiting, hoping, for someone just like me to arrive. I got out of the truck, and as I slammed the door, I said to it, "We're divorced! Don't ever call me." Might as well start a deal from the bottom in this case.

Part 2, The ghost lives on....... 'In our last chapter, we see that Greg has sold a tough lesson brought to him by GMC, for a new experience now brought to him by the Ford Motor Company. As unlikely as it would seem, that would not be the end of things. Only two months later, Greg receives a letter from authorities down by the border (actually only 3 miles from the border), that his previous and blessed GMC has been stolen from the dealership, and then abandoned by the thieves because of a breakdown (the truck and maybe even the thieves themselves). The authorities just want to ask if Greg was aware of that fact. It appeared strange to them that shortly after selling the GMC truck, Greg had moved to a new town only a couple of miles from the final location of the truck.' I didn't ask for this, it just happens to the owners of cursed items purchased from a dear friend of a friend,,, late at night,,, in an alley on a Saturday night. ;)

Edited by 4krow
  • Thank You 3
  • Sad 1

All of my GM Small and Big Block powered cars were reliable as nails.  But I couldn't have foreseen the nightmare I bought brand new.  And that was a re-badged Mitsubishi Starion ESi-R known as a 1987 Chrysler Conquest TSi.  It was seriously far ahead of it's time with 16 inch rims all the way around and 4 wheel disc brakes.  It was the best handling car I'd ever driven, much better than the 87 Vette I also test drove when shopping for new wheels. The Conquest was just fine at the stock 7 PSi of boost and only 177 HP.  Pretty weak performance as my G-Tech came in at 0-60 in 8.2 Seconds and 1/4 in 16.2 at only 90MPH.  Not nearly good enough.  So the day after I bought it I drove a couple hours East to Houston Texas where a guy named Gene Deputy measured a lousy 107 HP at the wheels on his Clayton Chassis dyno. 

So he tore off the Original Exhaust and replaced it with a full HKS exhaust and replaced the tiny 300CFM 12A Mitsu Turbo with a much higher output 720CFM Super 16G modified Turbo.  Then He measured 355 Wheel HP with massive cutouts we could see on the dyno needle and hear in the engine.  So next he added on an HKS PFC-FCon fuel computer with GCC(Graphical Control Computer).  This cured the cutouts and he removed some factory restrictions in the Speed Density flow meter and installed a K&N air filter in there.  It made an astonishing 403 HP at the wheels. 

I was stoked and way lighter in the wallet after all this.  But I watched one of his mechanics take it for a shake down run and get sideways in my brand new car as he drove away.  This was so much fun for me for next few months and then I started popping head gaskets like crazy.  I got it down to where I could leave everything on the head and pull it off, replace the gasket and have it all back together in an hour, after doing it dozens of times.  I could always tell I popped another head gasket with the usual sweet smelling exhaust due to ethylene glycol leaking into the combustion chamber and always between the middle two cylinders. And it would over heat bigtime.

I then modified the block and head having stainless steel fire rings installed into them.  This worked terrific until I took it up to 30 PSi boost and folded two rods, blew the engine and cracked the head.

I went through 13 heads, 7 blocks, 6 Transmissions and 3 third members, all replaced by me now, before I sold the car in 2016.  I must admit it was all my fault trying to take a basic 2600 truck engine, the car came with, and try to get serious HP out of it.  It just wasn't designed for this much power.  I was shopping for a nice 2JZ motor and transmission from a Toyota Supra before I finally sold it.

But I did race it at RMR and got a 13.2 second(With ridiculous wheelspin) 1/4 @ 111.8 MPH pass with it.  My G-Tech said 13.3 @ 109.9 MPH in the same run,  not too far off.  I put the car back to stock boost and Turbo and gave the guy all my Hipo goodies to go with it with a Caveat Emptor warning to go along with it not go crazy on the boost.

I should have just gone with the 2JZ power-train right after I bought it.

Turbo

• That Rocks 1

3 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

I had a Chevy Vega in high school, aluminum block (and cylinders), burned a quart of oil with every tank of gas - absolute junk.  'nuff said.

Just after high school I had a 70 Challenger convertible that burned and leaked a quart a day. Slant six and 3 speed manual trans. I pulled the head and replaced all the seals and gaskets, no more oil usage! If I only new how rare that car would be today...

Oh, yeah, forgot one. 1978 Porsche 928. Just a nightmare! It was a beast when it ran, but that wasn't very often.

Posted (edited)

I didn’t own it but my entire family laughed at me when driving my friends ugly ass green Gremlin!

barry

Edited by BarryG
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

My worst car was a 1979 Rally Sport Camaro that I bought new off the showroom floor. It had a door rattle that turned out to be a Pepsi can inside the door. It had the transmission repaired twice, then replaced under warranty. Paint was flaking off in 3 years, and Chevrolet would do nothing about it. I had the whole car repainted 1976 Cadillac Fire Mist Blue. My ex took it when we divorced, and I still call myself lucky. Two birds, one stone.

That was the last GM product that I've owned.

Yep, sometimes the stars line up right and good shit does happen.

• Thank You 2

1976 Ford Mustang II.  So not really a cool mustang at all. Just a glorified pinto with the same 2300cc motor   All junk.  Gave $250 for it as my first car.  Drove like it was a race car wrecked it and still made  my $250 back selling it to a mustang salvage yard in St Louis MO.  Not s bad deal just a junker car 

• Thank You 3

2008 Saturn Vue XR (bought used). At 120,000 km it wouldn't start. had it towed to the GM dealer who told me the timing chain skipped a tooth and because it was an interference motor, it was now scrap. Paid $7000 to have a rebuilt motor put in and some other work done. 3 months later a check engine light came on, I was at a Chrysler dealer at the time (sold the sales manager a few houses) they checked the OBDII and said it was an oxygen sensor. Took it to the GM dealer to have it fixed and got a call from the service department and was told that another code had come up when it was on the hoist.... Replace timing chain! I said the engine was just put in 3 months ago. Sorry out of warranty! Gave them the 1 finger salute and drove it directly to the Chrysler dealer and traded it in for a Dodge Caravan (I told him what they said and he still gave me a good trade in). 2 months later I was at the Chrysler dealer for an oil change when the service manager came up to me an said "hey didn't you have that Saturn Vue? We ran all the diagnostics on it and there never was a code for the timing chain) Lesson learned. I don't drive bye GM dealer without flipping the bird! (and I used to be a Chev guy!)

6 hours ago, kve777 said:

I've owned well over 2000 cars.

Now that's impressive! Sounds like DaddyJT and speakers! lol

• Haha 4

I never get tired of hearing about "Dealership" horror stories.....(that needs its own thread)

I haven't owned many vehicles but the worst was a 1992 Dodge Dakota 2WD 5 speed manual with 3.21 rear end and a magnum V6.  Weak as water.  Always had to drive "with the wind".   In the 3 years i owned it, had the clutch replaced twice.  Developed a weird engine knock and the chrysler dealership said drive it until the noise gets worse.  So i did.  Needed a complete engine rebuild at 60,000 km.  Fortunately i had splurged on the extended powertrain warranty so it was fixed under that.  Traded it in for a 1995 GMC K1500.  Still have that truck and you will have to pry the steering wheel from my cold dead hands.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)

Balok, I have owned a Chevy K1500 for the past 20 years and have no desire to sell it either...

My worst Vehicle was a 1970 Honda SL350 purchased early 1972 for $175 @ age 15 1/2  (Driving with a Permit in  OC California), it was just a horrible Motorcycle,  not worth a crap in the dirt or on the Street.  After Turning 16 traded to a Co-Worker at the Union 76 Station Straight across for a Clapped-Out 1966 Chevelle SS that I just loved, He claimed that He also had an early Vette in which He had swapped the Engine and Muncie with (both worn out), the Vette ended up with the 396 and the Chevelle got Oil Smoking 283 that would blow oil out the dip stick tube at higher RPM & after driving on the Freeway for 20 minutes or more would no longer stay in 4th gear without holding the Chrome Shift Knob in place, occasionally during Parking Maneuvers it would lock in 2 gears at the same time,  I had to crawl under the car and fiddle with the shift linkage to get it free and drivable again. This car was my first Experience Changing Out a Clutch.

Early 1972 I  was rear ended by a 1971 Cadillac and pushed into an early 60's Impala and bent the Frame Totaling it out.

Best Motorcycle I  purchased new April of 1983 and still have it is a Suzuki GS1100ES.

Best and Favorite car is a 1991 Audi 200 20V Sedan that I have owned since 2008 

Edited by randog311
Spelling
  • Thank You 2

14 hours ago, kve777 said:

I've owned well over 2000 cars. Only ever bought one new, a 1986 Toyota Van Wagon mini cargo van. 

Wow!!!

• Thank You 1

18 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

2004 Ford Powerstroke 6.0L diesel. 

I was towing my 5th wheel camper from Montana to the Oregon coast for a family vacation. Coming out of the Columbia river gorge in Vantage WA, I notice a slight power drop. When I reached the top of the hill, all seemed fine. I stopped for fuel in Ellensberg WA, and the truck was blowing a huge amount of white smoke out of the tail pipe. 

A guy at the gas station who happened to be a diesel mechanic walked over and said “another Powerstroke head gasket bites the dust”, and gave me his card. He told me to get to a campground and unload the camper before I turned the truck off. So I filled the coolant and drove to a camp ground in town. Unloaded the camper and stopped the truck - immediate hydro lock. 

Had the the truck towed to the dealership, rented a Tahoe and spent a weeks vacation in Ellensberg WA while my truck was fixed. As for the truck, I ended up paying $6,000 for new head gaskets, and new EGR, and new inter cooler. The geniuses at Ford designed the truck such that the WHOLE CAB has to be lifted off the frame to pull the heads.  The warranty was 5 years or 100k miles on the Powerstroke. I was at 57k miles, and 5 years 2 months. When I asked about that I was told “sorry, out of warranty”.  In doing some internet research, the head gasket issue is WELL KNOW, and Ford did NOTHING to help out afflicted customers. 

6 months later, the ECM computer went out, which was another $2,200. 

I am now a Chevy guy, and will never own another Ford. 

FWIW - It's way easier to pull the cab to do head gasket work on ANY diesel engine truck - including your Chevy.  ?

All cars suck and all cars are great - it just depends who you talk to.  :haha:

• Thank You 1

Stickers

14 hours ago, B-Man said:

FWIW - It's way easier to pull the cab to do head gasket work on ANY diesel engine truck - including your Chevy.  ?

All cars suck and all cars are great - it just depends who you talk to.  :haha:

Interesting.  That, along with 33% higher fuel costs, DEF, $200 oil changes and an $8,000 increase in sticker price are many of the reasons why I abandoned diesel after the Ford.  Yea, the torque is great, but unless you NEED it for heavy towing, it's difficult to justify the headaches.  I am more than happy to have transitioned back to gasoline.

• Thank You 1

It's a toss up between a Ford Taurus and a Chevy Monte Carlo.

11 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

Interesting.  That, along with 33% higher fuel costs, DEF, $200 oil changes and an $8,000 increase in sticker price are many of the reasons why I abandoned diesel after the Ford.  Yea, the torque is great, but unless you NEED it for heavy towing, it's difficult to justify the headaches.  I am more than hapy to have transitioned back to gasoline.

Most diesel engines in the early times were gas engine blocks converted to diesel engines.  IMO they were crap.  The best diesel engine vehicles were dodge, which used a Cummins diesel engine.  I drive one today, a 2006 ram 3500 dually, with the 5.9 cummins .  Most came out of Canada.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

The 6.0L Powerstroke Mark had trouble with was a true diesel - made by International Harvester. The issues with it are well known and, actually, easily resolved. After the fixes are installed the engine is capable of 350,000 miles or more quite easily. Shame on Ford for not standing up for their customers and just giving in to IH - they lost a lot of customers with that stupid decision.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

33 minutes ago, B-Man said:

The 6.0L Powerstroke Mark had trouble with was a true diesel - made by International Harvester. The issues with it are well known and, actually, easily resolved. After the fixes are installed the engine is capable of 350,000 miles or more quite easily. Shame on Ford for not standing up for their customers and just giving in to IH - they lost a lot of customers with that stupid decision.

Very true, and perhaps I should not hold the grudge against Ford that I do - but that was a big shit sandwich I had to eat, and the aftertaste is still there...

• Thank You 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, B-Man said:

Yes my bro in law had one and had issues with the clutch not engaging properly, they found that the floor board flexed and it affected the clutch travel but they wouldn't take responsibility to fix it.

Edited by danowood