Manual scandal

Nahash5150

I’ll send him a message asking if there’s more to his manuals that the ones for free on the site. If he says yes, I’ll buy one, then hit him with a formal complaint and negative feedback...

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

34 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

I’ll send him a message asking if there’s more to his manuals that the ones for free on the site. If he says yes, I’ll buy one, then hit him with a formal complaint and negative feedback...

I like it.  

State in feedback the information is free....

18 minutes ago, Nahash5150 said:

But I wonder if they are actually selling the watermarked PDF's!!!

100% negative feedback forthcoming.

There's not a very strong legal case, since it's all public domain.  I originally added the watermark to dissuade reselling, knowing that it wasn't really actionable without a large cash buffer.  e.g. a WWII documentary DVD can contain entirely public domain content and still be copyrighted, since there's value added by at least a DVD menu, probably some narration.  In this context, adding a watermark could be argued as value added, but may not roll the way you want it to

The encryption is easily broken to remove watermarks; one would have to purchase a signature key, and this stuff isn't worth the cost.

Still bad form by the seller

• Thank You 2

I agree.  It's bad seller form, for sure. 

There are a dozen other sites beside Ebay that charge for a PDF of Carver (and other maker's) manuals.

Most of us probably have better things to do with our time (as I queue up another LP!).

Is it possible to put manuals up for free on ebay? (or a few pennies) to steer people away from the rip off artists? A simple google search brought up sources for all Carver manuals (the top 3 of which were all free) 

• Thank You 2

10 hours ago, jeffs said:

I assumed all Carver manuals for sale on ebay were copied from this site.

No, some are not and come from legitimate sellers. Most notably AngeloD. He's always selling parts Bob gave him.

ray 

• Thank You 2

I wasn't interested in legal action, or even controlling their actions (directly), I'm just asking myself - why give away our manuals for free if people will pay for them?

It's like the gas wars!

The potential for selling is the only reason why the Sunfire documentation has not been released...even though Bob gave ALL those away as well. And he's not happy about it either...he got into the whole 'not paying it forward' rant.

It's not a big issue for me, I thought it was interesting to get that 'support request' by you@me.com. har har

3 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

I wasn't interested in legal action, or even controlling their actions (directly), I'm just asking myself - why give away our manuals for free if people will pay for them?

It's like the gas wars!

The potential for selling is the only reason why the Sunfire documentation has not been released...even though Bob gave ALL those away as well. And he's not happy about it either...he got into the whole 'not paying it forward' rant.

It's not a big issue for me, I thought it was interesting to get that 'support request' by you@me.com. har har

Back when this board was starting, F1Nut sent me a message with the reply to 'eatshit@richie.com'

1 hour ago, RichP714 said:

Back when this board was starting, F1Nut sent me a message with the reply to 'eatshit@richie.com'

He's a real class act... ?

1 hour ago, RichP714 said:

(Yeah but he's a really nice guy in person.)

We still deal with F1Nut's now and then. This was the latest for me, 'Now go outside and play "Hide and Go Fuck Yourself"'

It must be my amazing personality.  :D

• Haha 2