Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I started replacing my vintage gear with modern gear several years ago. First was a Sony XDR-F1HD tuner. Then it was a VPI Scout 1.1 turntable. Next, a CarverFest 275 tube amp. Then an Oppo BDP-105D. Now I've got this 10 Octave LP-1 preamp. I've barely got any vintage gear left in my main rig! Heck, I'm seriously considering some new Tekton speakers. 

Anybody else making a similar transition?

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Reading this I was struck by the odd juxtaposition with what I'm doing - I'm going almost the opposite direction, towards more vintage gear for much of my system.   That said, your selection of equipment is second to none - nicely chosen, I'm sure the sound is incredible.

• Thank You 5

If you get rid of any of those vintage JBLs, let me know, lol. 

Seriously, I’m kind of in the same boat, but for reasons out of my control. While my basement is under construction, my listening area is very small.  I’m using the NHT 2.5 speakers (due to their small footprint, AND to leave room for the DD18).  I’m using the McCormack amp (because I donated my 500t mkII).  I’ve been an Oppo fan since the ‘3 (103) was new on the market, and like Kev I use a 105D w/ streaming FLAC. I AM using a vintage pre @Brian_at_HHH ‘s C1 that I BillD’d, while I finish his 1.0t!

• Thank You 1

Due to my current situation and constraints I have had to down size and modernize.

I-Phone with Air Buds?

Still trying to figure out how to integrate some tubes into the out-put stage Of the I-Phone?

Edited by oldtexasdog
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 4

There are times I've used mostly new and times I've used mostly vintage. The only constant for the last 50 years is what I am using is sure to change. 

For me audio is a journey, not a destination.  I look forward to playing with different toys.  Sometimes they are an improvement and sometimes not. 

In my mind, settling in on the same system for many years would not be as much fun.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 5
18 minutes ago, compwaco said:

The only constant for the last 50 years is what I am using is sure to change. 

For me audio is a journey, not a destination.  I look forward to playing with different toys.  Sometimes they are an improvement and sometimes not. 

In my mind, settling in on the same system for many years would not be as much fun.

Agree 100%. Recently got hooked on the m500 ...... but deep down I know that eventually something else will pique my interest and I'll move on ...again.  It's funny when I visit relatives, often they are using gear that used to be mine. LOL.

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1
4 hours ago, oldtexasdog said:

Due to my current situation and constraints I have had to down size and modernize.

I-Phone with Air Buds?

Still trying to figure out how to integrate some tubes into the out-put stage Of the I-Phone?

Maybe a DAC with Bluetooth!

• Love this! 1
  • 1 month later...
On 4/10/2019 at 1:02 PM, compwaco said:

I'm on the opposite side of the fence. I purchased about half of my gear new in the 80's, and bought more 80's gear to add to it in the 90's. After I joined CS! in 2009 I refreshed and/or upgraded almost everything. I no longer pursue the latest and greatest tech leaving me more time to listen to the music. After all, that's the reason I started collecting audio gear in the first place.

1049592152_StereoSystem180301SANY5948.thumb.JPG.974e7eea5584f57f9b78478ae7dc35e1.JPG

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 3

I’ve been thinking of building a SchiitStack of their new gear and selling off TheOfficeRig(tm). That lineup would be Schiits SOL TT, Freya pre,  a Bifrost multibit and a pair of Vidar amplifiers. 

Thinking outloud.

ray

and using my John Broskie Aikido phono pre build

Edited by Magnaryder
  • Thank You 2

I'm still reveling in the incredible cost-efficiency of collecting and owning systems that I only dreamed of in the past, drooling over the Carver Corp annual catalog..., latest is a SS7t with C-19 connected to ALIII+.

I have a few more of these vintage goals - I can't see beyond that, at the moment.  Maybe one day, tubes could happen.  I'll pick up a used 275, maybe, so it has the same "score" appeal that picking up an M4.0t does..., addicted to that feeling, probably. 

• That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 2
5 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

I'm still reveling in the incredible cost-efficiency of collecting and owning systems that I only dreamed of in the past, drooling over the Carver Corp annual catalog.

I have to agree 10,000%.  That's exactly what I'm going through - acquiring the system I had always wanted in my younger years, and beyond, with all the improvements available.  And for a fraction the cost of what it would have been, back when I couldn't afford it.

When I joined, here, I didn't even conceive of changing my equipment.  Now, the only things I have left from a year age are my CD player/recorder, and my cassette deck.  ~^

• Thank You 1

27 minutes ago, loner_t said:

I guess I got that gear wanderlust out of my system. I assembled my first component system in the early 70's. It was a Pioneer SA-6100 integrated amp, Technics SL1200 turntable, Panasonic cassette deck and Sansui speakers.

639866072_1973-74StereoSystemCampMercuryNVscan5.thumb.jpg.c61f39bec93e0b54d1474f2acf100c92.jpg

By the time I left Nevada in 1976 I had upgraded to a Pioneer SA-8100 integrated amp and CF-F6161 cassette deck, and added a Technics tuner and the dbx117.

1392927858_MyStereocirca1976(TechnicsSL1200ST7600PioneerCTF7171SA8500DBX117).thumb.jpg.2a571370dafb75ac525ce562bf38f332.jpg

During the next decade I upgraded to a Teac C-3RX tape deck and replaced the integrated amp with an Onkyo Grand Integra P-308 preamp.  I also bought my first Carver (an M-500 in 1982), added an M-500t in 85, 2 M-1.5t's in 87, and the Legacy Audio sub/sat system before the 90's rolled in.

1422398796_MyStereocirca1990scan0009.jpg.5dd66771e95c7fd09e4365dd54202e95.jpg

Since moving to VA in 2000 I've added 2 more M-500t's (1 MKII), the BillD C-11, an SD/A-490t and a TX-11b. Hmmm. Maybe I do have OCCD.....

1513580631_Stereosystem160728.jpg.a57c237cddbfc414b2034d5b6660e24c.jpg

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

Schiit debuted 4, count em 4 new preamps. Jason is calling the event ‘Thunder-dome’ Different technologies and footprints but all have remotes and pricing starts at $299. Great stuff at great prices. Made in the good ol USofA.

ray

On 5/25/2019 at 2:06 AM, zumbini said:

I may have inadvertantly impinged on your trade mark rights Ray, so I'm renaming my office rig the Carver short stack. ;) 

1006526999_CarverC-2DTL-50M-200tTX-2-FrontRightSideSANY1762.thumb.JPG.84ad0f61396a34ccde6bfaf9d8828b1e.JPG

Nice looking stack my friend. No worries on the trade mark infringement. Bwaahahaha 

ray

• Thank You 1