Spontaneous Music - Post What Moves You

AndrewJohn

• Community Admin

For some reason, I am drawn to spontaneous music.  As a kid, playing in a string quartet, we did this all the time..., but that predated everyone with a smart phone.  I may have one or two Kodachrome snap shots of that history.  Today, everyone has a movie camera in their smart phone.  The multiplier-effect to share a moving example that occurred yesterday or last year in a distant location to move people on the other side of the globe is an incredible and powerful thing of Art and Beauty. 

What is spontaneous music?  Anything that comes together in a public place, even if staged - it's spontaneous unexpected art for the observer/listener.

Share here in this "Music Games" topic what moves YOU.

I'll start with what popped today in my player:

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

• Community Admin

Today's Spontaneous Music Find comes from NOLA, by Tuba Skinny.  This is some excellent jamming, that makes your foot tap.

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

• Community Admin

Sometimes, the venue's acoustics are incredible.  Today's is from the Berklee School of Music, and their Contemporary Symphony Orchestra, in the Prudential Center.  I love to see the reaction of the people, seeing something spontaneous, and wonderful - true art.  Worth investing the 4:22 of time, and if you can send it through your listening rig (not laptop speakers)…, much better.

• Love this! 1

• Community Admin

I like this guy's "can do attitude" and talent.  He's got guts to do what he does for a living, I think.  Be patient, he puts on a little set-up in the first couple minutes, then really sets things up, and cranks this one out.  The cameras mounted on his guitar assemble a great perspective.  Jamming really begins around 3:00, but honestly, I loved the entire 9 minutes.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 2

Will one of the nation's greatest violinists be noticed in a D.C. Metro stop during rush hour? Joshua Bell experimented for a story in The Washington Post:

The rush & self-absorption of commuters,  in this instance in the Washington, D.C. Metro.  Not too many years ago I cruised in from the out-lying regions to the heart of the Capitol. Stepping off at various stations to walk to my destination Metro buskers were not unusual in the sheltered underground station entrances or at the above ground entrances. Planning for unexpected delays by generously padding the commute time allowed for lingering to listen , a cordial chat & appreciation. In this video, the heads-down commuters rush past Joshua Bell, good enough sport to stage the experiment.

Edited by dcl
  • Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1
  • Sad 1

• Community Admin

Talent, Art, Music, Beauty,..., has no age, does not age, is timeless creativity.

She performs on the streets of Melbourne, Australia.

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 2

• Community Admin

Starting out with a little prelude solo, and develops into something exceptional. 

There is hope in these young musicians!

• Love this! 1

• 1 month later...
  • Community Admin

What a wonderful idea to reinvigorate the concept of the "Shopping Mall."  Music, live, spontaneous music.  Amazon could not compete with this "experience-based" value proposition.  Love seeing the little children in awe (first few minutes) of the First Violinist, as he calls out the hit-and-run flash mob.

• Love this! 1

On ‎04‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 12:27 PM, Charlie said:

I got to see this group live back in the day; the crowd went nuts for this somewhat odd but kickazz tune.....

I really like this this song!  It was cool back in the 70's when they made it.  I am surprised no one has done a remake on it.  I think someone could do a good remake without the yodeling.......grin

• Love this! 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dadvw said:

I really like this this song!  It was cool back in the 70's when they made it.  I am surprised no one has done a remake on it.  I think someone could do a good remake without the yodeling.......grin

Gary Hoey covered Hocus Pocus on his 1993 release Animal Instinct, and it's instrumental so NO YODELING!

• That Rocks 4

57 minutes ago, zumbini said:

Gary Hoey covered Hocus Pocus on his 1993 release Animal Instinct, and it's instrumental so NO YODELING!

That was a pretty good remake on that song Dom, and I like the guitar in there in place of the yodeling! I wish he would have stayed more true to the length and original notes of the song for full effect.........grin.  Thanks for the post Mr. Carverpedia and other things considered.........grin 

Edited by Dadvw
  • Thank You 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Community Admin

Colin Huggins is a pianist that takes his art to the streets in NYC (lugging a full grand piano to park site locations in NYC.  On one special night, world renowned dancer Seanna Sharpe shows up and amplifies the music art into full-on performance art.  At the end, you can tell they are just then figuring out who she really is.  "Here, let me give you my card..." Collin's story is below the Seanna Sharpe video.

If you have never laid under a grand piano, and listed to great playing..., I can tell you, it's a great experience.  I have the piano, and great musician friends come over, and I'm the first to lay down under the sound board.  This next video should be moving.

More from Colin Huggins - Piano Player of Washington Square Park, NYC  The undeniable affect on the souls of those listening comes through.

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

• Community Admin

Love this.  Dude takes his earbuds out, just to listen, no, not just to listen, to "experience" that which is happening around him.  The baby in the stroller is precious.  I want to be on that tram!

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

• Community Admin

Opera, like it must have been experienced by the "commoners" back in the middle ages. A dual-purpose rehearsal for performers. Almost like being alive in Shakespeare's time.  The call to the performance starts with the horns/brass from the upper windows, then the march of the contrabass (is long) to get people to walk to the impromptu virtual stage, then the tenors and sopranos arrive, dance and perform.  "Social media," before digital.

• Thank You 1

• 1 month later...
  • Community Admin

Lyrics Written by activist, suffragette and abolitionist Julia Ward Howe, 1861.

Music by William Steffe, 1856, arranged by C.S. Hall and C.B Marsh 1861.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2

• Community Admin

I  love "finger style" guitar.  Watching my son advance on this technique is amazing.  

Super talented, expressive, Guitar Champion Christie Lenee will move you this morning !

The second piece starts at about 11:30.  Equally beautiful as the 5-7 note classical Ostinato pattern of the first piece.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

• Community Admin

Gets me through the ... ?

This is a great cover/duet by an AGT artist, who the original artist brought up on stage with her, to nurture, … Wonderful act of kindness, grace and beauty to share the light with this 14 year old talent.

The original (about a year ago) AGT performance from Benecio.  Great setup, but if you want to just hear the music, it starts at 3:00.

Benecio Bryant first performed in Europe in a talent show (EU The Voice, I think), before getting on AGT.  FWIW.

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin

Cash does Nine Inch Nails, cover, like no other.

Edited by AndrewJohn