Favorite high dynamic range percussion

• 11 months later...

That's a pretty trippy video. I can imagine Fractuals really lighting up the speakers!!! The Sunday Morning Coffee album is another one that is a bit more relaxing but with interesting dynamic passages.

Mannheim Steamroller’s “Fresh Aire” Series was some of the first music I listened to when I got serious about music in the late 80’s. IIRC, there was only I-IV back then.  8 is by far the boldest of the Fresh Aire albums - the bass on “Big Bang” literally made my Velodyne DD12 “walk” about 10” when my system was on bare concrete in the basement prior to finishing...

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

Not to harp on Shadowfax (although I don't think any of them played the Harp), but check out the tasty syncopation and stick attack on this one

Shadowfax - 01 The Firewalker

• Thank You 1

Rich- That was a tasty tune. Thanks. It rocks a little more than I remember the other Shadowfax work. I ordered a NM Dreams of Children LP from an ebay guy whose NM really means NM. Since I heard your Other Country post I can't wait- it will take me back.

41 minutes ago, Receiver2000 said:

Rich- That was a tasty tune. Thanks. It rocks a little more than I remember the other Shadowfax work. I ordered a NM Dreams of Children LP from an ebay guy whose NM really means NM. Since I heard your Other Country post I can't wait- it will take me back.

I think you will enjoy it.  In the Vinyl days, they were very well known for putting out work that had a dynaqmic range below the noise floor.  Their CD tracks are recorded the way they should be (no loudness wars with compression).

capture.thumb.png.6a93b3fe1fdb30d134d8521fb8ce4153.png

Here's a screenshot of the trqack above; you can see that the average level is much lower than most modern recordings; that's so as not to end up clipping the dynamic peaks.  Most of their discography makes great use of extended dynamics, and it's very satisfying to hear properly recorded music.

capture.thumb.png.adfeb333a626dc3f670b787c2b421756.png