Migration complete - please resume normal use ×
Sk1Bum

Karma, or possibly road show...

Posted (edited)

When I received the Mofi Stevie Ray Vaughn Texas Flood album, disc 2 was damaged. There is an obvious scuff at the beginning of side 4. The scuff looks MUCH worse than it it. I played the album with an old cartridge, and there were two clicks that were audible, but not awful. I have albums that are MUCH worse. Side 3 is as it should be. Music Direct replaced the disc, and before I toss out the old, I thought someone might want to sample the Mofi Ultradisc 1 step process. So this disc is offered:

MOFI UD1S 2-005 LP2. This is a 45RPM album. It is offered as a karma, but I have no problem if y'all would rather it be a roadshow item.

If it's decided this a karma selection, I'll ask for numbers between 1-100, and I'll use a RNG to select. Closest to the number wins. If it's decided to be a roadshow item, we'll figure it out. :D 

UD1S2005-1.jpg

UD1S2005-2.jpg

UD1S2005-3.jpg

Edited by Sk1Bum
  • Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sk1Bum said:

It is offered as a karma, but I have no problem if y'all would rather it be a roadshow item.

It's your item so the choice is up to you.

Personally I wouldn't road show an LP as the odds of further damage go up with each additional handling. If you want to share it I'd convert it to digital files and make them available.

Edited by zumbini
  • Thank You 2

8 minutes ago, zumbini said:

It's your item so the choice is up to you.

Personally I wouldn't road show an LP as the odds of further damage go up with each additional handling. If you want to share it I'd convert it to digital files and make them available.

I have no problem either way. 

I don't have the gear to rip digital from an LP, and I've not investigated doing that. I'm guessing the options are a USB turntable, or some kind of DAC (or would that be an ADC?) between the turntable and the pc sound card.

20 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

I don't have the gear to rip digital from an LP, and I've not investigated doing that. I'm guessing the options are a USB turntable, or some kind of DAC (or would that be an ADC?) between the turntable and the pc sound card.

I researched that topic about 10 years ago when BillD suggested converting my analog LPs to digital. I decided against it, not because it's difficult, but because I have thousands of records and the process is time-consuming (the conversion occurs in real time).

Here's a basic primer in case you are interested: https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-digitise-your-vinyl-collection

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

6 minutes ago, zumbini said:

I researched that topic about 10 years ago when BillD suggested converting my analog LPs to digital. I decided against it, not because it's difficult, but because I have thousands of records and the process is time-consuming (the conversion occurs in real time).

Here's a basic primer in case you are interested: https://www.whathifi.com/advice/how-to-digitise-your-vinyl-collection

I had assumed real-time. I guess you could speed the process a bit by playing your 33 1/3 albums at 45--sound quality might take a hit though. :D  

Playback in real time, adding metadata, removing lp artifacts, I'm guessing every album might take close to an hour possibly more. 

Thank you for the link. 

Last call. Karma # will be generated sometime Sunday. Here's the entrants so far:

oldtexasdog   69

Blues Pwr     39

4RUNNER       13

peck555       55

BarryG        27

kve777        77

Zenith4me     62

Awesome..., not in (have it)…, 

But I will say, this is "enabling" at its finest.  The MoFi OneStep releases are incredible.  Three of my AXPONA co-attendees met up with the head engineer who gave us a private presentation on the process, and what is coming up..., 

Whoever wins this, is going to fall in love!

• Thank You 1

Stickers

2 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Awesome..., not in (have it)…, 

But I will say, this is "enabling" at its finest.  The MoFi OneStep releases are incredible.  Three of my AXPONA co-attendees met up with the head engineer who gave us a private presentation on the process, and what is coming up..., 

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks, Stevie Ray Vaughan  - Couldn't Stand The Weather,  Charles Mingus - Ah, Uhm, and Yes - Fragile are the ones that I know of. Do you know of more?

Posted (edited)

At Capital Audiofest 2017, I listened to some their test pressings, yes it is an interesting process!  My favorite was a test pressing of a Mark Knophler album which Mark had not signed off on! 

Looking forward to congratulating the winner!

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 2

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks, Stevie Ray Vaughan  - Couldn't Stand The Weather,  Charles Mingus - Ah, Uhm, and Yes - Fragile are the ones that I know of. Do you know of more?

Going to the Mobile Fidelity office in Chicago, is a TRIP..., There are more.  There is the new one-step and other processes before it - I picked up a catalog a couple years ago, it was a half-inch thick.  And, they are not stopping..., they have a future list lined up to create newly remastered disks for many years to come.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

You're in @jeffs

Anyone else?  Winner to be announced in an hour or so

Here's the current list:

oldtexasdog  69

Blues Pwr    39

4RUNNER      13

peck555      55

BarryG       27