danowood

In Remembrance

Every year about this time I post a topic in remembrance of our veterans of the past, and to inspire us to honor the forgotten men who sacrificed their all so that we may be free.

• Love this! 10

On 5/25/2019 at 10:20 PM, Daddyjt said:

to make sure the kids never forget the purpose of the holiday.

I never gave this much thought, but recently have realized that the younger generation is challenged when it comes to the meaning of this day.

My Mom is recently in assisted living and I realized it would be the first year since my Dads passing that she would not be able to visit the gravesite. After visiting her with my youngest daughter, we went to the cemetery  and tidied up the area.  One of the local volunteer groups had put flags in place for those who served and it was nice to see one at my Dad's stone, though he did not die in service. The best part was my daughter took pics of the main family stone with names going back 3 generations and during the 45 min car ride home, she asked lots of questions about family history and the roles of those who served in the military, including one member who died at Iwo Jima. Educational for both of us.

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 2

Stickers

What worries me most are the number of those enlisted, and veterans as well, who suffer greatly from the time given in service. There seems to be too little help, and the number grows.

• Sad 3

My father never talked to us kids, or my Mom, about his time in the Mariana Islands as a young Navy pilot during WWII. It was only after he passed away that I found out about his participation in Operation Forager (Guam, Pelau, Saipan) from documents and photos he had filed away. I can't imagine what it was like for my Dad and his compatriots but I thank them for their service.

61097076_1944-12-DadsNavySquadron.thumb.jpg.db02cb5a70ed9e8c6d25f21f305e3d95.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 5

My mother-in-law was a veteran of one war, and my father-in-law a veteran of three (not counting battles with my mother-in-law).  I also grew up in a military family.  Those of you who have served, have had loved ones serve, and especially those who lost loved ones have my heartfelt thanks for what you did.  The same goes to each of you who help keep the memories and respect alive, in whatever way possible.

We all too easily forget what good people have gone through, and continue to go through, in protecting our freedoms.  While Memorial Day is not celebrated where I live, having U.S. in-laws I'm keenly aware of it's meaning, but I've found too many people are not (not just here in Canada, where, maybe there is an excuse), but even among acquaintances in the U.S. 

Thank you, all, again, and let any veteran's you may come across, know that we remember and care.

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 2

My dad rarely talked to us about the war, my mom seems to have discouraged it!  My children had to interview a vet for an elementary school project, all their peers interviewed Vietnam era veterans, I asked my dad if he would let the girls interview him, learned more that day about my dad being in Germany in the US Army, he was wounded and discharged during ww2!  I Elisha I knew more as a kid!  My dad lived a long life, he died in 2002 at the age of 83!  Mom could not go to cemetery today, but three of us boys did.  A lot of flowers and flags being placed today!

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 4

1 hour ago, jeffs said:

I never gave this much thought, but recently have realized that the younger generation is challenged when it comes to the meaning of this day.

My Mom is recently in assisted living and I realized it would be the first year since my Dads passing that she would not be able to visit the gravesite. After visiting her with my youngest daughter, we went to the cemetery  and tidied up the area.  One of the local volunteer groups had put flags in place for those who served and it was nice to see one at my Dad's stone, though he did not die in service. The best part was my daughter took pics of the main family stone with names going back 3 generations and during the 45 min car ride home, she asked lots of questions about family history and the roles of those who served in the military, including one member who died at Iwo Jima. Educational for both of us.

That’s awesome, thanks for sharing.

unfortunately, it’s up to us, as parents, to educate the next generation on such topics. For the most part, the school system is a a complete failure at teaching the meaning and importance of holidays like Memorial Day.  

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 1

Even though not war veterans, I think of friends and relatives who died on 9-11 too.  My brother in Law William Bethke, was at point of impact of first WTC tower attack, I’m sure he had no idea what had hit, no remains were ever recovered!  On 9-11 my niece usually goes to the memorial service and reads names of victims.  I pray for my New Jersey family often!

• Love this! 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, zumbini said:

My father never talked to us kids, or my Mom, about his time in the Mariana Islands as a young Navy pilot during WWII. It was only after he passed away that I found out about his participation in Operation Forager (Guam, Pelau, Saipan) from documents and photos he had filed away. I can't imagine what it was like for my Dad and his compatriots but I thank them for their service.

My father never spoke of his time in the service.  He wore service uniforms until they were threadbare, daily, when I was younger. Like your father, Dom, my dad was Navy, in the Marianas.  He left this earth with all his stories untold.  His military record somehow survived the fire of 1974, and I have it - although it's hard to piece it all together.  LST service to Italy then shipped out to the Pacific Theater, then intelligence post war, in Europe.

I think it is critical to hear the stories of this greatest generation of WWII era, the following Korean War generation and Viet Nam War generation, and recent Middle East action, lest we repeat.  War is not a game to play, and the sacrifices are real.

The hardest for me is to miss my little brother - some of you know about that kind of loss too, I'm sure.

DSCF0008.thumb.JPG.f52e01170ab5ef48326b45bd31400b5f.JPG

My brother is on the left. This is a photo from the memorial service in Valdosta, GA for the crew of the "Komodo 11" of the 41st Air Rescue Squadron (The Jolly Green Giants), who all perished from deceleration trauma when their HH-60 PaveHawk crashed on March 23, 2003 in rough terrain in Afghanistan.  Most details remain classified.

One of his friends shared this with me on April 5, 2003 - this is the fallen crew on their way back to Dover Airforce Base.  On this final return home were Lt. Col. John Stein, Capt. (Select) Tamara Archuleta, Master Sgt. Michael Maltz, Staff Sgt. John Teal, Staff Sgt. Jason Hicks and Senior Airman Jason Plite.  All were outstanding achievers I remember on this Memorial Day.

840163940_sixairmen-hirez.jpg.828754556d822a5b9215dac2adfa1bc5.jpg

Remember the fallen - all of them.  Teach your kids and grandkids.

• Thank You 3
  • Love this! 2
  • Sad 1

Stickers