Migration complete - please resume normal use ×
Daddyjt

Does this like, annoy the hell out of like, anyone else?

One day a friend of mine got so annoyed by his teenage son and friends using the word "like" that he offered a prize of $20 to whomever said "like" the fewest times.  From that point on they all policed each other's use of "like" in order to win the Jackson, and my friend had an almost "like" free day.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

I listen to (get pitched to) a lot of entrepreneur's requests for funding... (I'm an advisor, not an investor...)

I tune out when I hear these phrases (I have a list of hundreds of these..., they erode the English Language)  Full disclosure, I'm guilty of using some of these, too.  Some start-ups websites could be cut in half just by editing these phrases and making a sentence with a noun, verb, subject and predicate - go figure!

"At the end of the day,..."

"All things being equal,..."

"Low hanging fruit,..." 

"Be that as it may,..."

"Drink the cool aid,..."

"On the other hand,..."

"It is what it is,..."

"We're going to open the kimono and show you,..." (haven't heard of #metoo ?)

"When all is said and done,..."

"First mover advantage,..."

"Learning curve,..."

"Paradigm shift,..."

"One throat to choke,..."

"On a shoestring budget,..."

"The bottom line is,..."  (wtf, this is an accounting term, applied to ??)

"Big picture,..."

"Corner the market,..." (they haven't defined it...?)

"It's not rocket science,..." (which is why your idea isn't unique)

"Think outside the box,..." (Huh? what does that even mean?)

Young entrepreneurs don't seem to realize the audience is interested in one thing - that is "how short you can state the facts that convince the audience that your idea will make money..., not how many blithering nonsense-extended sentences you can use to fill up a 30-60 minute appointment of people gathered for that one single purpose...  Crazy to think that there are entire blogs on "collecting and using these idioms" to make yourself look smart in a pitch.

I have heard great speakers use these phrases ONCE in a full hour speech, and young entrepreneurs seem to think to pick that up and apply it like salt and pepper into every sentence makes them sound like Gates, Jobs, or Ellison... Makes me get up and leave the room.  Silently signaling what I really think.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 4

Stickers

Well, (start of rant) the one annoying word that I am so tired of hearing is TEAM! TEAM, TEAM, TEAM, TEAM, TEAM...........when did this stupid word start in work culture?  When did we go from being a family to TEAM?  I guess when the PC culture moved in.....grrrrr.  The other stupid phrase is perception IS reality.  Really?  I thought reality was reality.  We can perceive reality to be anything we want, not what the facts of reality are....(end of rant)...........SMH

• Thank You 2

13 minutes ago, Dadvw said:

Well, (start of rant) the one annoying word that I am so tired of hearing is TEAM! TEAM, TEAM, TEAM, TEAM, TEAM...........when did this stupid word start in work culture?  When did we go from being a family to TEAM?  I guess when the PC culture moved in.....grrrrr.  The other stupid phrase is perception IS reality.  Really?  I thought reality was reality.  We can perceive reality to be anything we want, not what the facts of reality are....(end of rant)...........SMH

Welcome to 2019..., "Truth is 'spin'", truth is not fact-based anymore, it's all what "someone says it is" and foolishly, some believe it. 

It's frustrating when the laws of physics or medical science, or any other truth is somehow ignored so someone can have their opinion be "right"..., why not just say, "I learned more facts, so now I'm enlightened, this is the new truth?" and move on.

• Thank You 3

Stickers

The one that drives me insane is something being used constantly around my work these days.  "The ask is ..."  rather than any kind of normal verbiage, along the lines of, say, "we need you to do ..." or "the requirements are ..."

It's become nothing short of an epidemic, and one I have refused to "get on the bandwagon with, since my brain no longer has enough bandwidth for BS."

• Haha 2

For 6 years, ending last January, I worked for one of the worlds largest corporations. Emails contained th phrase “working in silos”. WTF does that mean!? We had to Google it.

One particularly bright corporate lemming attached the phrase “we want all to be Happy shining people”.

If you look for the video of REM’s apparent hit by the same name, you will find there is a large group of people having fun, singing and dancing in front of a rolling background. At one point, they graciously provide water to a guy behind the screen on a bicycle who is making that screen move. That guy is us, the ones making the world go around. 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

The art of articulation and precise choice of words is dying. Verbal diarrhea rules the world, and the idiot box brings more. Social platforms have a fair share of the blame to bear. Perhaps we all need ESoL lessons. 

• That Rocks 4

Stickers

Some songs also play a role in the problem.  We, as music lovers know.  Growing up listening to Zeppelin, Eagles, Skynyrd, D Purple, Police etc. I see beautiful construction of sentences that even it is a heavy metal song the artist delivers it like I'm reading a poem and  still love the guitar riffs and drums.  Today, a song can start with "eeee"  and end with "eeee".  (*,)     

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

The one that drives me insane is something being used constantly around my work these days.  "The ask is ..."  rather than any kind of normal verbiage, along the lines of, say, "we need you to do ..." or "the requirements are ..."

It's become nothing short of an epidemic, and one I have refused to "get on the bandwagon with, since my brain no longer has enough bandwidth for BS."

I can't get on board with the TEAM thing either.  It just sounds so fake.......**))

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

1 hour ago, Bobby1970 said:

I see beautiful construction of sentences that even it is a heavy metal song the artist delivers it like I'm reading a poem and  still love the guitar riffs and drums. 

Saw this yesterday. A very simple message/song/poem, well done, IMO. 

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

Stickers

3 hours ago, loner_t said:

The art of articulation and precise choice of words is dying. Verbal diarrhea rules the world, and the idiot box brings more. Social platforms have a fair share of the blame to bear. Perhaps we all need ESoL lessons. 

IDK, mybe ur nt txting  enuff. :D 

• That Rocks 1
  • Haha 6

I be like...

You be like....

He be like....

She be like.....

They be like....

Conjugations of the verb ‘to be like’

Isnt it easier to use ‘to be’

I am

You are

He is 

They are 

derp

• Thank You 2
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Zoom said:

Isnt it easier to use ‘to be’

Methinks that "like" is a delay, wile the speaker hopes the rest of their thought might just congeal out of the ether and pop into their head.  :-s

• That Rocks 1

On 6/3/2019 at 10:21 PM, Rod H said:

Back when I was part of the giant corporate packaging world, my office mates and I used to play the "Corporation Buzzword Game".

We would count how many times the favorite words and phrases would get used in a single meeting or better yet - conference call.

Paradigm shifting

Leading edge

Outstanding

World class

Low hanging fruit

Outside the box

Move the needle

Wheelhouse

Transformative

Synergy

Best practice

Mission critical

Thought leadership

Right sizing (my personal favorite)

Critical path

Organic growth

So many more.....

I used to pass these out to my team when we had to attend the sales leadership conference calls...  ?

BS Bingo.jpg

22 hours ago, Dadvw said:

The I In Team.jpg

Teamwork.jpg

• Haha 8

Stickers

Posted (edited)

Okay, so while we are on the subject, there is another line that bothers me.  When they start talking, the line "to tell you the truth" makes me wonder when they say that, if everything they told you previous to that line was a lie?.........**))

Edited by Dadvw
grammar
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

11 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Methinks that "like" is a delay, wile the speaker hopes the rest of their thought might just congeal out of the ether and pop into their head.

Yep.  I think so too.  I hate it even more because as I continue to hear it I start using those shit words and phrases.  Shame on me, but still.

• Thank You 1

54 minutes ago, Dadvw said:

When they start talking, the line "to tell you the truth" makes me wonder when they sat that if everything they told you previous to that line was a lie?.........**))

The most often I hear this line is when there is an organizational change. What it tells me is the incompetence of management layer in making such changes and excuses being made to justify the current/next one and nullify the previous ones. 

The larger the organization, the worse this looks. 

• Thank You 2
  • Sad 1

Stickers

2 hours ago, PDR said:

We must be blessed......if these are our pet peeves.

Just sayin......

A much better perspective. 

Thank you Perry.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/6/2019 at 5:51 AM, loner_t said:

My dad insisted on Wren & Martin and The Concise Usage and Abusage: A Modern Guide to Good English Hardcover – 1961 as mainstays of the English language and encouraged reading. 

Languages begin at home and parental responsibility is paramount when it comes to teaching such.

Agreed, LT.   Reading (early in life, and a lot!) is the basis of good writing and speech.

My two kids exceeded my lifetime reading library by the time they were 12.  Moby Dick at 10..., they couldn't stand the Harry Potter series because they compared them to the classics. 

I still use my dog-eared Strunk and White Elements of Style English usage handbook - 1979. 85 pages of exceptional guidance ...

Capture.JPG.27fdc9fe94bfbbe878966b72ba21d7c8.JPG

23 hours ago, Dadvw said:

Okay, so while we are on the subject, there is another line that bothers me.  When they start talking, the line "to tell you the truth" makes me wonder when they say that, if everything they told you previous to that line was a lie?.........**))

There's a whole class of these like "to tell you the truth..." that if thought about, imply that everything said before should be questioned..., 

"Honestly,..." (means what was said before was untruthful...)

"To be Honest,..." (means what was said before was all a lie...)

"Actually,..." (means that what was said before could not pass the "test of least astonishment"...)

...and others.

In general, "filler words" seem to reveal the bull-shitter in all of us..., One of the reasons I hate to deal with "car sales people" when I know more about the vehicle I'm interested in than they do..., I should, I'm thinking about buying it, but it makes it easy/frustrating/annoying to identify the bull-shit...  I'm guilty from time to time, more often than I would like to believe. 

As an intellectual "crowd," we expect speakers in the public eye, however, to be more truthful, and too the point.  But, decades of decline in education are bound to put uneducated, inarticulate boobs in the public eye.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

Stickers

8 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

I still use my dog-eared Strunk and White Elements of Style English usage handbook - 1979. 85 pages of exceptional guidance ...

Capture.JPG.27fdc9fe94bfbbe878966b72ba21d7c8.JPG

AJ I could not agree more.  Lots of useful and helpful information in this little gem.  Every time I go through a divorce I lose one.

• That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/5/2019 at 10:18 PM, Brian_at_HHH said:

Methinks that "like" is a delay, wile the speaker hopes the rest of their thought might just congeal out of the ether and pop into their head.  :-s

This is exactly it.  

You feel me?

Ya know what I’m sayin’?

(Ynmschain’?)

• Haha 1