Sk1Bum

Sad headline of the day.

Posted (edited)

A confidential internal report by Universal the year following the fire estimated 500,000 song titles were lost.”

original master recordings.  

Damn. 

Edited by Zoom
  • Thank You 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, I read that the other day and just went cold.  Such a huge loss, and they clearly were never concerned with storing them decently.

Here's hoping that technology will improve to were much of it can be derived from the remaining edited versions.  It will never be the same, and all of the unreleased material is gone, though.  :(

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, loner_t said:

? What a shame? Off-site backups? Half-a-million songs, what a tragedy!

+1 for digital masters that can be backed up easily.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

6 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

+1 for digital masters that can be backed up easily.

But can the backups be read in 20/50/100 years - either due to the file format or storage media being obsolete?

• Thank You 1

34 minutes ago, gold98gtp said:

But can the backups be read in 20/50/100 years - either due to the file format or storage media being obsolete?

Probably as likely as finding a professional grade / 1/2" reel-to-reel player that's still in good working order, sigh!  ?

• Thank You 1

An irony here is that the fire (according to the report I read - it was from FOX News ?) was that they were repairing the roof, insuring against potential future water damage, ostensibly - to the precious recordings under it. 

It was an asphalt roof, the roofing company used propane torches to warm, melt and seal the roof substrate.  The workers were said to have waited the obligatory hour or so, to be sure that none of the flammable asphalt was burning, or going to burn.  Then left - but it WAS burning, albeit, perhaps-hidden. 

I imagine that roofing company's E&O insurance rates just went up.

How about just using water to wash the new roof, and ensure it is both sealed, and not burning?

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 1

Stickers

17 hours ago, gold98gtp said:

There are still converters for Word Perfect documents into MS Word, so I would think given proper financial incentive that a programmer could write code to convert wav, flac, or any lossless format into whatever format is prevalent.

Hopefully, cloud storage is protection from everything but hacking. :D 

• Thank You 1

22 minutes ago, Sk1Bum said:

Hopefully, cloud storage is protection from everything but hacking. :D 

About the only worry I would have would be a Kepler event (electromagnet storm) but the analog tapes would also be pretty much toast after that, too, along with anything to play them on.  Or, perhaps ineptitude, which is probably enevitable.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Or, perhaps ineptitude, which is probably enevitable.

LOL-- At a previous employer, they wanted me to work on making some highly skilled machining jobs idiot proof. I told them the idiots are breeding better idiots.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

LOL-- At a previous employer, they wanted me to work on making some highly skilled machining jobs idiot proof. I told them the idiots are breeding better idiots.

When working for the Bell System, we used 'lock out/tag out' procedures to slow the idiots down a bit. You guessed it, that doesn't always work.... While working at a college, I saw that the idiots were given keys, so that they could get past barricades and signs, unlock the locks and chains holding doors shut, and walk all over the newly resurfaced floor. At least we knew the size and brand of the woman's shoe.

• Thank You 1

19 minutes ago, danowood said:

This article shows the depravity and cruelty of some knows no bounds. I can think of no punishment horrific enough for their crimes.  

I spent about 10 years in Bikers Against Child Abuse. One of the worst cases we were involved in was a 7 year old girl that was raped, sodomized, and choked until unconscious. When she started coming to, he choked again until she feigned death. This all took place in a vacant house, and the perp then set the house on fire. When the fire department arrived, they discovered her wandering outside, dazed and naked.

The perp got 4 consecutive life sentences. IIRC, the judge said he'd serve a minimum of 68 years. 

When he appealed, I got subpoenaed to testify about what we (BACA) did during the trial. Most of the questioning was about "do we coach victims how to answer questions?"  My answer was "Yes. We encourage these kids to tell the truth and let the chips fall where they may."

His appeal was denied.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/mo-court-of-appeals/1560652.html

• Thank You 3
  • Sad 1

Kudos to you @Sk1Bum - Thank You for what you did with Bikers Against Child Abuse - that is a very special group.   Nicely answered in the end, and yes, from all that I've heard, that's EXACTLY what that group does - it gives those poor kids the ability to tell the truth and feel safe.  Well done!

• Thank You 1

7 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

1000 hours in community service at a zoo or animal preserve.

Yeah cleaning out the lion's cages with the lions present.   What a worthless pos.

• That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

Police: Arizona man admits to beheading roommate’s dog

The victim opened the box and found the body of her dog inside. Police said the dog had been mutilated and was headless. an admits to beheading roommate’s dog

since I'm 65 I would like Sgt Hank Voight of Chicago PD to spend 10 minutes with this guy   These are my Maxwell and my Sophie and Wilson/ Last is  pic of my SO from a few yrs ago.  She is not a pet but does like to be petted a lot

IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_2094.jpg

IMG_1917-1.jpg

IMG_0899.jpg

• Sad 2

Sad day today -

My son and I traveled south to Provo for an errand, so as we always do, we stopped in to our favorite music store in SLC - FYE.  This was the scene inside:-(

196E6610-B7E1-4473-B70B-A5045D296371.thumb.jpeg.4bdd10d46a6bc0dff6be82c7236f68b8.jpeg

E17A0A4C-3905-4CA6-8D9D-3B762A53DC26.thumb.jpeg.0c8f793a7128fd0ce3db62b70860d711.jpeg

I’ve been going to this store (under one name or another) for over 25 years. Back in the early ‘90s, they had the best Laserdisc collection around, which is what got me hooked on them (it was Media Play back then).  The march towards online ordering claims another victim.

on a bright note, I DID find a fresh shipment of Tool’s new album, Fear Inoculum...

image.thumb.jpg.d6db33c9401af5f722e7b2c9e051f3f9.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • Sad 2

That's a shame.  😞  It's probably been about 10 years since I found anything of interest to me in a "record" store.  They typically only carry top-10 crap, or dance, or rap, here.  Anything not pure mainstream isn't worth it to them.

Too bad the shelves aren't great for home use.

• Thank You 1

It's happening everywhere...

Fry's...  Had a great A/V (videos and cd's) section...  and were really the only place left after Radio Shack closed, to get RS type stuff, in retail.

• Sad 4

Stickers