The stereo is dead, long live the stereo

Brian_at_HHH

With the impending arrival (postal system, willing) of my totally reworked, modernized, and hot-rodded Carver system (C1-BillD/Gundry/Remote & M1.0t MkII/Opt2 - thanks @Daddyjt), I finally bit the bullet today, and tore apart my existing stereo, so I'll have to depend on my tablet and BT headphones for now.  ?

I've started putting bits and pieces into my new cabinet, trying to figure out all the places I had planned to put things where they came up a hair too small.  Ah well, the best laid plans of mice and men (just pass the cheese...).  So far, I had to take the feet off my tuner and replace them with short rubber feet, instead - the prybar wasn't going to cut it.  The C-9 did manage to fit on top of my EQ, which was a pleasant surprise.  The cassette deck, music player, and tube buffer, however, are not going to make it.  I'm going to have to set up a spot on the wall unit beside the rack, for them.  Oh well - that's what I get for adding too many toys, while waiting for the work to be done on the Carver Core.  :V:

I've taken the time to diagram out how I want to hook everything up, but I have a feeling I should drawn things in 4 dimensions, at least.  I pulled out all the interconnect cables and bundled them together, so I could see what lengths I have, in the vain dream that it will help me connect things without making a complete mess as usual.  **))

Pictures to come, once the pieces are a;; in place - for now, it's an ugly mess of cords that's reminiscent of an explosion in a spaghetti factory, and thats withouts the interconnects and speaker cables. 

Anyone want to start a pool on how many places I reverse Rec and Play (for the record, I'm currently 100% on doing it somewhere when reconnecting a system - in sprite of knowing I'm going to and being extra careful.  :$

• Thank You 6

31 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

I've started putting bits and pieces into my new cabinet,

Pictures, pictures, pictures.... (did I say pictures?)!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, kve777 said:

LABELS!

Put labels on both ends of your cables!

Seriously. 

Saves a ton of time. 

I started to do exactly that  ... then Murphy popped his head up and my label maker was empty.  Go figure, sigh.

I'll see if I can find labels for it, tomorrow.

BTW, labels don't help when you read the port label on the device, wrong.  :$

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

Call me any time my friend - I’m always available to help you out:-)

I'm excited to see your new system!!

Thanks Mark - much appreciated.  Your parts are the one area I'm not worried about - It's the tangled web of cabling, and odd power cables that promises to test my (very limited) sanity.  

Just for giggles, maybe I'll tack on a copy of my working diagram for the wiring.  I'm sure many will take serious exception to how I've got things, but there are reasons for the order.  ?

@loner_t, hopefully this will stave off the picture cravings long enough for me to get meaningful ones.  9_9

connect1.jpg

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2

This diagram brings up a question. There is SH on C9 and C1. Which one do you prefer, and using the C1 SH would eliminate the C9 and a component from the signal chain. 

• Thank You 1

I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice that.  My compliments at the quick study!

After waffling over it for a long time, and since I knew I really liked the original, I finally had @Daddyjtdo the Gundry mod to the C-1.  The one in the C-9 is still original, so I can try them both and decide what I like most .:-$

If I decide I like the Gundry mod, I'll move the C-9 to my basement system, so I can have SH there, too.  If I can't decide, I can simply choose based on my mood.  ?

• Thank You 1

9 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

I wondered how long it would take for someone to notice that.  My compliments at the quick study!

After waffling over it for a long time, and since I knew I really liked the original, I finally had @Daddyjtdo the Gundry mod to the C-1.  The one in the C-9 is still original, so I can try them both and decide what I like most .:-$

If I decide I like the Gundry mod, I'll move the C-9 to my basement system, so I can have SH there, too.  If I can't decide, I can simply choose based on my mood.  ?

Is your C-9 refreshed?  I noticed a big difference, even A-B compared an old, stock, never touched C-9 with just a refresh and new PS.  I could hear a difference..., so just thinking about it - you will be comparing @Daddyjt's refreshed SH in the C-1, with whatever condition your C-9 is in - and if not refreshed, it's an unfair fight... ? 

Of course, the Gundry in the C-1 will also make it unfair, too. 

FWIW, I like the SH in the Carver Speaker Control Unit that comes with Carver Amazings, (which also has a Gundry) the best.  But it's all personal preference.

Capture.JPG

• Thank You 1

Brian.

Congratulations on your newly modded BillD C-1 and MKII/Opt2 M-1.0t!

Your going to love 'em…..|-| Good luck with your wiring connections.

And a shout out to @Daddyjt (and all the other site techs). What a great asset they are!!!  

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

2 minutes ago, Dennis47 said:

And a shout out to @Daddyjt (and all the other site techs). What a great asset they are!!!  

Yes a huge thank you to @Daddyjt for putting up with all the hassles of doing this (not only did I as a lot of him, I kept adding and changing things on him), and my total respect and admiration to all the tech here for what they do!  ~^

• Thank You 2

13 hours ago, kve777 said:

LABELS!

Put labels on both ends of your cables!

Seriously. 

Saves a ton of time. 

I've been waiting so long for the opportunity to tee this back up..., Thank you @kve777.

A while back, one of our greats, Dom (Zumbini) @zumbini posted that he uses bread closures to label his cabling.  I can't find the thread..., but it started another neurosis..., and I use two for each cable, they can be written on with a fine sharpie, and are easily removed when you repurpose a cable.  It's amazing how fast I collected these..., and they have been valuable for this purpose (you can find these at some grocer's produce departments, too if you look/ask).

20190624_073937.jpg.2aae6c2334cbbc0b435ccf7feba457e0.jpg

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

15 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

A while back, one of our greats, Dom (Zumbini) posted that he uses bread closures to label his cabling.

Great idea @AndrewJohn (and to Dom, of course)!   Thanks!!!!  ~^

• Thank You 2

1 hour ago, AndrewJohn said:

Is your C-9 refreshed?  I noticed a big difference, even A-B compared an old, stock, never touched C-9 with just a refresh and new PS.  I could hear a difference..., so just thinking about it - you will be comparing @Daddyjt's refreshed SH in the C-1, with whatever condition your C-9 is in - and if not refreshed, it's an unfair fight... ? 

Of course, the Gundry in the C-1 will also make it unfair, too. 

No, the C-9 is not refreshed as yet.  I was recently pestering @4krowfor details in his C-9 Rebuilt thread, about exactly, that:

I'm quite aware is an unbalanced comparison but I am familiar with the sound of my C-9, so that helps balance it a bit.  I'm hoping like many others, that I will love the Gundry C-1, and never look back, but I knew how much I loved the C-9, so 'm hedging my bets, here.  :-s

• Thank You 1

It's ALIVE!!!!!!   |-|:D/?

I need to give Daddyjt a HUGE HUGE THANK YOU , for all the incredible, detailed, patient work that he did,to virtually rebuild my C1 and M1.0t from the ground up, into something amazing!
Carver_Wondrland.thumb.jpg.5f95e10e35f18e98aea4769014dbc5a0.jpg

It took me two days to get things wired up, and I only changed my mind 4 times on how to do things (channeling my inner feminine side). :V:

As I figured out how all the components actually worked, I realized that I needed to change my mind about how it all should flow.  No guarantees it's anything close to final.  :-k 

connect.thumb.jpg.2fba5feb484b66a9fac0a1e099711e4a.jpg

I have to admit, I have not had the chance to actually "listen" to it, yet - all Ive done is play with basic functionality.  The real fun part is yet to come.  ~^  I'm not even sure the meters on the amp, work, yet - that's how little power I've run through it.  

I do still need some rear speakers to go with the DLP-33, and to marry up with my mains (Mission M74's), so I'm pretty set on some Mission 71's, in beech.  But I have all the time in the world to look for some at a good price.  

Let the fun begin - time to go change my Sig!  ~^  More pictures a bit later.

Edited by Brian_at_HHH
Removed some garbage typing I missed - Oops!
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

Brian,  that looks great and I am sure it will sound  amazing,   I just received my Daddyjt refurb'd M1.5 back  (I did get to see your equipment and all the excellent work on the bench and am currently looking for a good M1.0 to MkII/Opt 2 now after seeing that) and have been listening and going through a variety of different music.  Mark has my TFM 35x and TFM 45 and I need to drop off my M4.0 and C-11 as well (the benefit of living within about 3 miles of his house).   His work is fantastic and I can't wait for the other pieces to make it back into the rack.  This site and group is truly an amazing bunch and so helpful. 

• Thank You 1

Thanks 69Chevelle  - can't wit for the chance to give i a good run.  I work with electronic techs, and having seen Mark's in-progress pictures, his work is not just an excellent technical job, but an absolute work of art - his talents and standards are phenomenal!  Being that close to him would be very dangerous to my wallet, and destructive to his family time.  ~^

And no, this M1.0t is all MINE!  :--D  (good luck in your quest).