Good music sources, what are they?

NickT

I raised this question in another thread and thought it worthy of it's own.. 

It's great to get a collection of audiophiles together and discuss what systems we have and what we have done and so one, but what sources do you find are best.  I don't mean that just in terms of Vinyl vs CD vs SACD vs Pure Audio.  But, out of that non exhaustive list, what have you listened too that really stood out as a well engineered and recorded "album"?  Physical or streaming. . . .

Last night I listened to Pink Floyd's Dark Side on the Moon on SACD and the 5.1 mix.  Room lights where off and I was pretty much center stage.  Did this mostly as I just put a Cinema Grand Sig 400-5 into service.  Heard things I had swore where not there before, couple of times I backed up and listened to a section again.  This is one album I thought I knew from all angles.  Truly amazed.  Ordered "Wish you were here" on SACD 5.1 for good measure and can't wait for that to show up.

I also listened to "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" on Blue-ray Pure Audio.  Just a STUNNING rendition of APP's first album.  Really wish or hope Mr. Parsons goes on to do the same to Pyramids and I Robot.  I also ordered "I Robot" on SACD, really looking forward to that.

I might add some that I just thought were terrible.

So what stands out in your collection as noteworthy recordings?

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Vinyl for me, love my half speed DSOM!  Yeah, the 5.1 does add anew dimension, your gonna love wish you were here too!

barry

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

I have some custom Pink Floyd trance music that was mixed by a DJ in the UK; I was allowed to D/L them from an  FTP server in Ireland some 20 years ago.  They are in .ogg format so they sound incredible.... :D

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

All of the Mobile Fidelity UD1S vinyl albums are very well done, but they should be at $125 retail.  180g, 45RPM, from the original master tapes, and stamped with their exclusive one step process. All are limited editions with anywhere from 3K-9K copies. @AndrewJohn has been to their facility, and I hope he chimes in here.

Of the ones I have, Donald Fagen's The Nightfly is my favorite, and Stevie Ray Vaughn's Texas Flood is next. So far, they've also released Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water, Marvin Gaye What's Goin' On, Santana Abraxas, Bill Evans Sunday At The Village Vanguard & Portrait In Jazz. I believe the next release is a Bob Dylan album. Stevie Ray Vaughn Couldn't Stand The Weather, Yes Fragile, and another Dylan album are in the works. The only one I can't highly recommend is the Simon & Garfunkel. It's not as well done as the others, but I might be biased as I was never a Simon & Garfunkel fan.

Santana Abraxas was their first release, and if you can find an open copy, expect to pay ~$800, or ~$1200 for a sealed copy. It's the only one I don't have--dammit. :D 

• Community Admin
16 hours ago, Sk1Bum said:

All of the Mobile Fidelity UD1S vinyl albums are very well done, but they should be at $125 retail.  180g, 45RPM, from the original master tapes, and stamped with their exclusive one step process. All are limited editions with anywhere from 3K-9K copies. @AndrewJohn has been to their facility, and I hope he chimes in here.

Of the ones I have, Donald Fagen's The Nightfly is my favorite, and Stevie Ray Vaughn's Texas Flood is next. So far, they've also released Simon & Garfunkel Bridge Over Troubled Water, Marvin Gaye What's Goin' On, Santana Abraxas, Bill Evans Sunday At The Village Vanguard & Portrait In Jazz. I believe the next release is a Bob Dylan album. Stevie Ray Vaughn Couldn't Stand The Weather, Yes Fragile, and another Dylan album are in the works. The only one I can't highly recommend is the Simon & Garfunkel. It's not as well done as the others, but I might be biased as I was never a Simon & Garfunkel fan.

Santana Abraxas was their first release, and if you can find an open copy, expect to pay ~$800, or ~$1200 for a sealed copy. It's the only one I don't have--dammit. :D 

Yup..., what @Sk1Bum said.

On 7/18/2019 at 5:01 AM, NickT said:

Love the Fleetwood mac album Rumors .  Have to see if I can find the dvd audio version.

Make sure you have a player capable of playing DVD Audio - not all DVD players can play this format. Also, if you do get the disc, make sure you change to the 96/24 stereo mix in the audio options menu of the disc - the default (as with most DVD Audio discs, annoyingly) is the multi-channel mix, which is nowhere near the quality of the high resolution stereo mix. 

• Thank You 1

Mobile Fidelity, Dunhill Compact Classics, Audio Fidelity, Telarc, and Analogue Productions are also well respected brands for digital and analog recordings.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

My copies of  "I Robot" and "Wish you were here" on SACD just showed up.  After a quick listen of both I am impressed.  Need more time to really go through them and dig into the music.  I am already very familiar with both so this should be a treat to find new details buried in the recordings.

A friend of mine has the Rhino release of "Brain Salad Surgery" 5.1 min on SACD which I have been trying to find.  Can't wait for that either.  It's supposed to be one of the best 5.1 engineering efforts.  I'm sure "Karn Evil 9" is going to cause major eargasms.

I was listening to "Best of Bread" the other day and was impressed with the engineering on that, happy to see Mobile Fidelity also has an SACD of their "Baby I'm a want you".

• Love this! 1