Mark’s movie corner.

Daddyjt

Do you ever find yourself tired of the seemingly constant flow regurgitated movie offerings at the box office?  Avengers End, End, End game (and this time we mean it), Spider-Man 17, the latest Disney butchery of the Star Wars franchise,  Fast and Furious 15, and on and on....

Well then you’ve come to the right place.  I watch a lot of movies - some good, some bad, many “ok”, and a few great.  My focus in this thread will be to primarily spotlight some great movies, with an emphasis on “off the beaten path” films that you may not have heard of. 

Commentary is welcome (and encouraged), just be respectful and remember - we all have our own tastes. Here’s to hoping that my own may align with some of yours.

My maiden offering is the 1999 Mel Gibson film Payback.

This film is a delightful mix of crime, drama, sardonic humor and suspense. Aside from the masterful story, the most intriguing feature of this film is it’s cinematography. It is shot in a muted, almost sepia style that reinforces the mood of the film.  Outstanding supporting performances from William Devane (Interstellar, Dark Knight Rises), Kris Kristofferson (Blade) and Lucy Liu (Kill Bill) round out this gem of a film, that has a nice twist.

9F0E66CD-159E-4257-A2BC-C62DFE10C796.thumb.jpeg.e30d98f489e05631c0a6b5052214c599.jpeg

39E550A0-7A12-4856-8E41-7F9C3AD71A06.thumb.jpeg.2747c87dffef16688ddb6d95fa79101e.jpeg

48A29D3E-9BBC-43CD-A252-2E6CBC80BCB6.thumb.png.0314b3a92809b2357f502d3b721b0b65.png

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 4
  • Love this! 1

One of my favorites is The Count of Monte Cristo.  If you like a real good vengeance movie that is not violent in nature, this is your movie.....grin

COMC.jpg

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 4

This is one of them on the list of my fav's.  It was actually filmed on the Gettysburg battle sight, which only a select few have been done.  Has some great actors in this movie.

Edited by danowood
spelling correction
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 1

1 hour ago, Dadvw said:

One of my favorites is The Count of Monte Cristo.  If you like a real good vengeance movie that is not violent in nature, this is your movie.....grin

COMC.jpg

My favorite line in this film:

Vampa - “Jacopo is the best knife fighter I’ve ever seen”.

Dantes - “Perhaps you should get out more...”.

• That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 69Chevelle said:

"Shooter- Mark Wahlberg" respectively

For me "Shooter" is one of those movies that I stop to watch if I happen across it while scrolling thru the stations. Stop every time and watch whatever is left. I'd guess others do this as well (with different movies). Shooter is somehow on this list for me. Not sure why?

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2

47 minutes ago, jeffs said:

...Stop every time and watch whatever is left. I'd guess others do this as well (with different movies)...

I have a long list of these - (I’m probably going to embarrass myself here!)

Road House

Aliens

Lethal Weapon (1 and 2)

Kill Bill (1 and 2)

Smokey and the Bandit (1 only)

Cannonball Run

Predator

Commando

• Thank You 3

• Community Admin
7 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

[...]

This film is a delightful mix of crime, drama, sardonic humor and suspense. Aside from the masterful story, the most intriguing feature of this film is it’s cinematography. It is shot in a muted, almost sepia style that reinforces the mood of the film.  Outstanding supporting performances from William Devane (Interstellar, Dark Knight Rises), Kris Kristofferson (Blade) and Lucy Liu (Kill Bill) round out this gem of a film, that has a nice twist.

9F0E66CD-159E-4257-A2BC-C62DFE10C796.thumb.jpeg.e30d98f489e05631c0a6b5052214c599.jpeg

This is one of my favorites, too.   It also has another great supporting actor: James Coburn who plays Justin Fairfax in the movie, and so many other great performances.  Best line, after Gibson shoots a hole in his luggage being held iron-cross style by Lee's henchmen…, "That's just Mean".     

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Love this! 1

• Community Admin

OK, one that I find intriguing and watch often is The American (2010). 

George Clooney is a gunsmith and hitman, and in the movie is paired with some excellent European acting talent.  The people he works for decide to end his career, but he's too clever.  You learn a lot in that movie..., it is set in Italy.  Some violence, sex, drama and thought-provoking dialog and believable (McGyver-esque) resourcefulness and hand-made gunsmithing.  Also significant periods of director Anton Corbijn's expressive cinematography with "no-dialog".  Lots of twists and turns, moral struggles and ethical dilemmas are presented, and have some surprising outcomes.

The_American_2010_poster.png

IMDB link:  https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1440728/

Trailer:

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2

57 minutes ago, AndrewJohn said:

This is one of my favorites, too.   It also has another great supporting actor: James Coburn who plays Justin Fairfax in the movie, and so many other great performances.  Best line, after Gibson shoots a hole in his luggage being held iron-cross style by Lee's henchmen…, "That's just Mean".     

“$70,000?? Hell, my suits cost more than that!”

• That Rocks 1

5 hours ago, 69Chevelle said:

Although " The Count of Monte Cristo" is my favorite, my #2 and #3 are " The Hunt for Red October-Sean Connery" and "Shooter- Mark Wahlberg" respectively. 

My favorite is Hunt for Red October! I have it in every format, VHS, Beta, 8mm, Laserdisc, DVD, BluRay. And of course, the movie poster is on my theater wall......grin

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3
  • Love this! 1

heavy metal......

used to collect the magazine also.

DSC_0002 (4).JPG

drew this in HS.

I wonder where I got my influence from.

can hardly draw a stick figure now.....LOL

DSC_0257.JPG

Edited by mbskeam
  • Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 2

7 hours ago, Charlie said:

Good selections so far; my favorite(s) are the first 4 James Bond movies....

Dr.No.jpg

From.Russia.With.Love.jpg

Goldfinger.jpg

Thunderball.jpg

What do you think of the recasting of 007 as a female?  Personally, I think it’s a horrible idea...

https://thefederalist.com/2019/07/22/a-female-007-leaves-bond-fans-shaken-not-stirred-and-for-good-reason/

14 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

Do you ever find yourself tired of the seemingly constant flow regurgitated movie offerings at the box office?  Avengers End, End, End game (and this time we mean it), Spider-Man 17, the latest Disney butchery of the Star Wars franchise,  Fast and Furious 15, and on and on....

Well then you’ve come to the right place.  I watch a lot of movies - some good, some bad, many “ok”, and a few great.  My focus in this thread will be to primarily spotlight some great movies, with an emphasis on “off the beaten path” films that you may not have heard of. 

Commentary is welcome (and encouraged), just be respectful and remember - we all have our own tastes. Here’s to hoping that my own may align with some of yours.

39E550A0-7A12-4856-8E41-7F9C3AD71A06.thumb.jpeg.2747c87dffef16688ddb6d95fa79101e.jpeg

48A29D3E-9BBC-43CD-A252-2E6CBC80BCB6.thumb.png.0314b3a92809b2357f502d3b721b0b65.png

Great pick Mark one of my favorites, a bad guy with a code.

Yes I agree a young Lucy Liu looks pretty hot in the black dominatrix outfit,

pretty funny she kept on working even while Mel came in, nice touch.

Also lets not forget the unforgettable Maria Bello, and the always sultry, Deborah Kara Unger (from Highlander: Final Dimension)

• Thank You 2

• Community Admin

I'm not a Huge Tom Cruise fan, but I did like Collateral, as noted above.

And, with the new sequel coming out, I have to say I have watched the original more than a few times..., that is Top Gun.

The audio effects through surround sound continue to be my go-to DVD for running my HD AV system through its paces.  The list of actors in this movie back then..., wow.  Cruise, Val Kilmer, Anthony Edwards, Kelly McGillis, Meg Ryan, Tom Skerritt, Michael Ironside, John Stockwell, Barry Tubb, Rick Rossovich, Tim Robbins..., (What a list of Bad Ass Attitudes) - and many more really made this movie.

Top Gun.   https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092099/

I can't tell yet if the sequel is going to be as good..., we'll have to wait.  I imagine, however, the flight scenes, and sounds, will be awesome.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2

I enjoy history related movies, especially ones that shows our past and rights that have been restored.

And not to be negligent in respect this one's on my list too.     

• Thank You 4

Doubt this is off the beaten path?

I know there was a recent remake, but I just don't think it could possibly compare. No desire to see it.

I bought this movie on DVD about 12 years ago. I'd seen it several times over the years, but wanted to see it again.

I used to watch a lot of movies with my kids, mostly Disney and the like. Youngest was probably about 10 at the time. They wanted to watch it so .... OK.

They sat thru the entire movie - loved it .... it's 2.5 hours long.

papillion.jpg.7ac5b3315e31d405ad21fb6e54d70688.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 2

On 7/23/2019 at 5:09 PM, Daddyjt said:

I have a long list of these - (I’m probably going to embarrass myself here!)

Nothing on that list that isn't, at least, good fun.  No embarassment there!

23 hours ago, kve777 said:

Incredible silent movie! Giorgio Moroder provides a superb soundtrack. Inspiration for C-3PO. 

Totally cool!  I had not seen it until fairly recently (within the last couple of years), so I looked it up.  I watched the B&W version, first.  It is still incredibly relevant and very well done!  

20 hours ago, mbskeam said:

heavy metal......

I still collapse into a fit of literal hysteria when I think about this one - something to do with the "toaster" in it.  Took me ages to recover when it first came out.   :D:$O.o 

• Thank You 2