Mark’s movie corner.

Daddyjt

• Community Admin

Somewhat "historical semi-fiction" is this one of my favorites...,  Having lived in Houston, been on a few oil rigs, and worked in the Oil & Gas industry, I know people like this movie portrays.

There Will Be Blood (2007)

IMDB: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0469494/fullcredits 

Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and Starring Daniel Day Lewis, as Daniel Plainview with a very long list of unknowns.

This Movie is an adaptation of Upton Sinclair's 1927 novel "Oil !"   The story is about the early California Oil discoveries in the central valley as prospectors looked for get-rich and cutthroat activities to get rich "first" off the inevitable value that Oil was to have.  There's some extreme story lines here that make one really realize that the over-romanticized elements of getting rich off the economic riches of the earth are not all that they are cracked up to be.  D.D. Lewis is a silver miner, and strikes oil instead..., and the rest is about the way his life corrupts on his ruthless quest to screw everyone around him to get ahead.  His life does not turn out well.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

On 7/23/2019 at 7:55 PM, Dadvw said:

My favorite is Hunt for Red October! I have it in every format, VHS, Beta, 8mm, Laserdisc, DVD, BluRay. And of course, the movie poster is on my theater wall......grin

I really enjoy the Tom Clancy based films (except Patriot Games - I don’t know why, but that one never did it for me).  This clip from Clear and Present Danger was one of my go-to demos during my Laser Disc heydays...

On 7/24/2019 at 12:33 AM, DrummerJuice said:

Two of my favourites!

MV5BMTA2NDYxOGYtYjU1Mi00Y2QzLTgxMTQtMWI1MGI0ZGQ5MmU4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDk3NzU2MTQ@._V1_.jpg

0817FJUDGE_MCVinny.jpg

I loved Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny (and she was not hard to look at either!). So many great one-liners -

“Whatta you, a fookin’ World traveler?”

”Yea, you blend...”

”My biological clock is tickin’ like this (stomping foot)!” 

• Thank You 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

This clip from Clear and Present Danger was one of my go-to demos during my Laser Disc heydays...

Ah, serenity and romance at it's best!   :--D

3 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

I loved Marisa Tomei in My Cousin Vinny (and she was not hard to look at either!). So many great one-liners -

Most definitely.  Not someone I'd want to "verbally" spar with...  ;)

This weekend’s selection is my all-time favorite “dark comedy”, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang.

The film could be loosely described as a buddy-cop movie, but there’s much more going on than that.  The chemistry between Val Kilmer and Robert Downey Jr is pure magic.  The story is compelling with a good mystery (and a twist).  Perhaps my favorite aspect of the film however, is the razor-sharp dialogue - it’s supremely witty, darkly humorous, and laugh out loud funny (albeit not for the kids).  

• Thank You 1

On 7/23/2019 at 11:07 PM, Daddyjt said:

What do you think of the recasting of 007 as a female?  Personally, I think it’s a horrible idea...

https://thefederalist.com/2019/07/22/a-female-007-leaves-bond-fans-shaken-not-stirred-and-for-good-reason/

I agree; James Bond is the iconic super spy and trying to mix it up is just awful......

• Thank You 1
  • Confused? 1

• Community Admin

movieposter.webp

OK, no one has mentioned all the spaghetti westerns..., and of course, the list of greats with Clint Eastwood..., but for me, it's Sergio Leone's early epic, Once Upon A Time In The West (1968).  If you can find it, get the wide-screen - the cinematography is excellent.

This movie is a revenge battle between Frank (Henry Fonda) and Harmonica (Charles Bronson).  Fonda doesn't know why Bronson has come after him and his notorious gang - which you learn in the end (I won't spoil it).  This movie came out when Fonda was recognized and type-cast as a hero character in many post WWII films.  To see him play the part of a ruthless killer turned moviegoers off and actually hurt the film's success in the box office - but critics eventually recognized it as a significant film of its time (1968).

The movie is excellent work by Leone, with a star-studded cast - and is one I check out every so often.  The violence (killing and against women) is tough to get through in some places - like in the very beginning when Frank kills a small kid in cold blood. But understand, Leone is making the point and stretching the boundaries about how "wild and lawless" the early west really was.  Gangs of bandits and killers like that led by Frank (Fonda) were not uncommon plagues upon towns, trains and dirt-farmers trying to live and just scratch out an existence each day. While at the same time, those same lawless gangs were exploited/used by the upper 1% at the time to move "progress" forward at the expense, pain and loss to the lower 50% - that is, to build railroads in this movie - but the analogy is made and one can conclude oil, gold, and other industries did the same thing.

Excellent epic cinema - lots of gunfight violence a little sex, and intense mystery-drama demonstrate that life had little value as the story plays out with stars like Fonda, Bronson, Jason Robards, Jack Elam, Claudia Cardinale, Woody Strode, and many others you'll recognize.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt000064116/

Edited by AndrewJohn
fixed typos
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

Seeing @AndrewJohn's suggestion of Spaghetti Westerns got me thinking about some of the classic ones, but then I thought, no, this is one of the few movies I will always tune in, if it happens to be playing:

This is a perfect example of how "nobody is safe" from the hilarious barbs of Mel Brooks' humour.  It's also a movie that could never be made in this day and age - it's as far from politically correct as you can get, but Brooks targets everyone equally.  Every time I watch it, there's something new that I see to laugh at.  A guilty pleasure, to say the least.   :D

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

• Community Admin
On 7/25/2019 at 10:57 AM, DrummerJuice said:

Oldie but a goodie!

815sfDB8mEL._SY445_.jpg

I love this film.  It was a great tool in raising my kids to learn right from wrong, confusion, and how people manipulate. 

My favorite quotes from noble characters, and the not-so-noble characters..., can you tell which?:

Westley: "As you wish."  (get's one tactfully out of just about any family argument...)

Westley: "We are men of action.  Lies do not become us."

Westley: "Life is pain. Anyone who says different is trying to sell you something."

Westley: "You mean you'll put down your rock and I'll put down my sword, and we'll try to kill each other like civilized people?"

Inigo Montoya: "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father! Prepare to die."

Westley: "No! to the pain."

Westley: "I'll explain and I'll use small words so you'll be sure to understand. you warthog faced buffoon."

Inigo Montoya: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." (after Vizzini says "Inconceivable" again and again.)

Vizzini: "You only think I guess wrong! that's what's so funny! I switched glasses when your back was turned! Ha ha! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders - The most famous of which is 'never get involved in a land war in Asia' - but only slightly less well-known is this: "Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!' Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!" (then he dies).

Vizzini: "I've hired you to start a war. It's a prestigious line of work, with a long and glorious tradition."

Vizzini: "You're trying to kidnap what I've rightfully stolen."

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 2

• Community Admin
7 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

This is by far my favorite Kevin Costner film -

6092AB92-0A56-4099-ABC2-F72C945093C1.png

Mark's favorite Costner film reminded me of my favorite Rene Russo film...

Which is, The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) with Pierce Brosnan, Denis Leary and Faye Dunaway.  A remake of the original, from 1968 with Steve McQueen - also a good film. 

615e1+FY53L._SL1015_.jpg

Some great intrigue, an incredible Tango and live action created by Director John McTiernan (of Hunt for Red October, Die Hard).

Many remember the "marble staircase scene," immediately following the "tango scene"... ? 

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2

2 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Mark's favorite Costner film reminded me of my favorite Rene Russo film...

Which is, The Thomas Crown Affair (1999) with Pierce Brosnan, Denis Leary and Faye Dunaway.  A remake of the original, from 1968 with Steve McQueen - also a good film. 

615e1+FY53L._SL1015_.jpg

Agreed - outstanding performance by Russo. The chemistry between her and Brosnan was excellent, with a solid supporting performance from Dennis Leary.  One of the few remakes that bested the original, IMHO. 

• Thank You 2

Another perspective view of the Civil War, and it's affects on the Nation.

An oldie but never forgotten.  James Stuart in the epic story of Shenandoah.

• Thank You 1

My son and I went to see Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last night.  I won’t force you to skim to the bottom of my drivel for my recommendation, if that is all you are seeking - it’s an extremely well done film, and I recommend you see it - if you like Tarantino’s work. 

It’s fair to say that I enjoy his work (except Dusk Til Dawn - I never could figure that one out, lol). To me, his films are FULL of texture. On the one hand, watching his work is like sitting at a table and having him throw you pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, one at a time.  The farther in you get, you start putting the pieces together, and forming the story - but you don’t see the whole thing until the very end. But more than that, each piece is fascinating in its own right, worthy of study and admiration. In fact, Tarantino’s best films (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction) almost play like a dozen or so short stories, woven together into a compelling tapestry.  Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is no exception. 

The story unfolds in 1969 LA, against the backdrop of the Sharon Tate murder.  Just the scenery is a joyous trip down memory lane - the cars, tv programs, clothing, etc... then there’s the cast - Pitt and DiCaprio obviously (and their first work together), but intriguing supporting performances from Olyphant, Russell, Pacino and Luke Perry (his last film role, R.I.P.).

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It keeps you wanting to “peek around the corner”, and see what happens next. It’s not as “R” rated as most of Tarantino’s work, and there is an Easter egg in the credits, so sit tight for a few minutes at the end.

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

My son and I went to see Once Upon A Time in Hollywood last night.  I won’t force you to skim to the bottom of my drivel for my recommendation, if that is all you are seeking - it’s an extremely well done film, and I recommend you see it - if you like Tarantino’s work. 

It’s fair to say that I enjoy his work (except Dusk Til Dawn - I never could figure that one out, lol). To me, his films are FULL of texture. On the one hand, watching his work is like sitting at a table and having him throw you pieces of a jigsaw puzzle, one at a time.  The farther in you get, you start putting the pieces together, and forming the story - but you don’t see the whole thing until the very end. But more than that, each piece is fascinating in its own right, worthy of study and admiration. In fact, Tarantino’s best films (Kill Bill, Pulp Fiction) almost play like a dozen or so short stories, woven together into a compelling tapestry.  Once Upon A Time in Hollywood is no exception. 

The story unfolds in 1969 LA, against the backdrop of the Sharon Tate murder.  Just the scenery is a joyous trip down memory lane - the cars, tv programs, clothing, etc... then there’s the cast - Pitt and DiCaprio obviously (and their first work together), but intriguing supporting performances from Olyphant, Russell, Pacino and Luke Perry (his last film role, R.I.P.).

Yes, I thoroughly enjoyed this film. It keeps you wanting to “peek around the corner”, and see what happens next. It’s not as “R” rated as most of Tarantino’s work, and there is an Easter egg in the credits, so sit tight for a few minutes at the end.

Thanks for the review Mark, its always nice to get an opinion of someone who also likes a director or star on a new release.

I like Tarantino's work also.

Actually right now there is a interview he did with another of my favorite directors Robert Rodriquez on the El Rey Network its a two parter only part one is out so far.

In the interview he discusses what you mentioned, that almost every scene is almost like a stand alone short story and at the same time another piece of the puzzle that doesn't make sense (how they are all connected) until the very end. 

Also music /soundtrack is extremely important to him as well.

Another very good Kevin Costner movie is the western "Open Range" with the great Robert Duvall, and Annette Bening.

A lot of great one-liners in the movie. Cinematography is also very good.

MV5BMzU2MTU4OTA2NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk5

Edited by Blues Pwr
  • Thank You 4

Watched this with my wife, son (23) and daughter (18) they liked this and commented CGI is not regularly greater.  I found Costner and Harrelson blends well in this film.  We mentioned a little bit history of Bonnie and Clyde right after though.. 

images.jpg

Edited by Bobby1970
Change of words
  • Thank You 3

2 hours ago, Bobby1970 said:

Watched this with my wife, son (23) and daughter (18) they liked this and commented CGI is not regularly greater.  I found Costner and Harrelson blends well in this film.  We mentioned a little bit history of Bonnie and Clyde right after though.. 

images.jpg

I also watched this film recently costner and harelson  got better and better as the film progressed slow start (have a hard time letting go of woody) lots of good info drama and a very good point of view i had not looked at of a very very well known story worth a look

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

Woody set himself apart (for me at least) in the first season of True Detective. He and Mcconaughey were incredible in that show. 

Speaking of Woody, anyone else excited for this one? ?

35D1EC97-A985-44A7-8D3C-F1F0D5915434.jpeg