PhilDent

Switching the Master Bedroom and Home Theater

So the wifey and I remodeled our house a while back, and after years of living in it, experience revealed some decisions we would have made differently had we had the foresight.  The master bedroom was too big and a waste of space.    The home theater room, which we dubbed the music room, was way too small.  By the time we loaded in the upright piano, bass amp, drum kit, and 5.1 HT setup, there was almost nowhere to sit.  The confined space was suitable for a single person, or my wife and small children, but it was cramped and uncomfortable for more than that.  So thankfully wifey and I simultaneously concluded that it would be best to switch rooms. 

This was not quite so simple though.  We had to wall off  a door way to the master bathroom.  I also added HDMI cables, Coax, Network, and electrical to make the new install as clean as possible.

frame up.jpg

I also had to cut a hole through another wall so that we could access the master bathroom from the old music room (now the master bedroom)  Below is a picture of me in progress of demoing the wall to create the new doorway.  My wife was willing to give up a sink in the master bathroom for this project.  So as you can see, where I had to cut through the wall, I had water supply lines, a drain line, a vent, and electrical to deal with.

explore.jpg

So here is a "before" shot of the system in the old space.  The components lived on a rack in the closet.

before.jpg

And below is my temp setup with new music room paint color.

After.jpg

I still need to cut the carpet and replace the baseboard where the old doorway was.  And the console holding up the components is an old IKEA bookcase on its side until I build the one wifey wants.  I have two M500TMKII's (DaddyJT and DennisMiller) running the fronts in power steering mode and the stock A-400x on the right running the two center channel speakers. 

Today I made a mockup of the face frame out of cardboard to get an idea of how the console table will fit in the space.  Center Channel speakers will sit on the top of the table directly under the TV.

Console mockup.jpg

This design is a copy of a console table that wifey saw at a furniture store.  I messed with the dimensions so that the lower left and upper right open spaces can accommodate 4 M500t's each. (I'm hoping to catch up to Loner T's M500T count one day ?).  I'm considering incorporating fans in the design, but I think I will leave them out for now and retrofit if heat becomes an issue.

-PhilDent

Edited by PhilDent
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 8

Stickers

@PhilDent, Kudos to you and the better half for making that big decision.  Definitely not a 5-minute job, but it sounds like it will be far better for you.  Love the innovation with the sideways bookcase to hold the fort.  Sorry you lost your sink in the deal, but you can still wash up in the shower or tub.  ?

@Dadvw looks like you are off to a great start!  Out of curiosity, are those vents at the bottom corners where you have routed out heating ducts, or are they for venting the cabinets (or something else  entirely)?

Both of you, please keep the updates coming.  ~^

Stickers

4 hours ago, Dadvw said:

While my wife and I didn’t switch rooms, we are turning our basement into a movie theater room. I am working on the front wall now.....

I'm curious about your build.  Tell us about your design and framing.  Also, I'd like to know why you have 3 electrical boxes on the stud on the left.  Looks great.  Keep us updated on the build.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

@PhilDent I have to say that wall color is awesome.  Just sayin, that is the largest surface in any room, and getting the color right can make the difference between ok, and spectacular.  My wife is mid-repaint (every 4-5 years) and we're moving toward the grays, and tones, like that.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

10 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

@PhilDent, Kudos to you and the better half for making that big decision.  Definitely not a 5-minute job, but it sounds like it will be far better for you.  Love the innovation with the sideways bookcase to hold the fort.  Sorry you lost your sink in the deal, but you can still wash up in the shower or tub.  ?

@Dadvw looks like you are off to a great start!  Out of curiosity, are those vents at the bottom corners where you have routed out heating ducts, or are they for venting the cabinets (or something else  entirely)?

Both of you, please keep the updates coming.  ~^

The vents on the bottom are for venting that space.  There is a vent that draws air at the top left corner under the overhang (you can't see it) so these will allow air flow through the space to remove the heat (warm air rises, cool air descends).......grin 

Stickers

31 minutes ago, Dadvw said:

The vents on the bottom are for venting that space.  There is a vent that draws air at the top left corner under the overhang (you can't see it) so these will allow air flow through the space to remove the heat (warm air rises, cool air descends).......grin 

Now I see it - thanks - i makes complete sense, now. ~^  Looks fantastic.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

12 hours ago, PhilDent said:

I'm curious about your build.  Tell us about your design and framing.  Also, I'd like to know why you have 3 electrical boxes on the stud on the left.  Looks great.  Keep us updated on the build.

@PhilDent My design was to hide the gear in the wall (see my details in the Excel drawing).  I originally started to build it in the back wall until a guy suggested this idea to keep from using up all the space in the room behind the back wall.  There is space behind the back wall where my electrical panels are and my media panel and alarm system are installed and my home network (in the far left corner of the picture). Also my movies, games, and accessories are behind there, see the pic.  The three boxes on the left stud wall are for the lights (3-way switched with right side box) in the wall space and back room, and the 2 middle receptacles on the back wall.  The receptacles are 2-20 amp circuits for the amplifiers.  I have the 2 subwoofers and an M1.5t on one circuit, and 5 - M200t on the other circuit.  The M1.5t feeds the main speakers, the M200t each feed a surround speaker and a center channel for a 7.2 setup.  The gear, which will be rack mounted vertically on the far left opening back wall, is on the original basement circuit.  The far left and right openings will have doors installed to keep hands out of the gear and the movies and games.  The amplifiers will be shelved between the subwoofers.  The 75" TV will be mounted on the outer wall.  It will be sheet rocked and painted black with openings for the speakers covered with grill cloth.  There will be connection points for the game consoles on the front wall. The game consoles will be stored on shelves in with the movies and games in the back room.  I will try and include some other pics of the back part of the theater room which is almost finished and decorated.        

wall.jpg

wall design.jpg

Edited by Dadvw
  • Thank You 1
  • Love this! 1

Stickers

6 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

My wife is mid-repaint (every 4-5 years).

My wife was just telling me that a couple of weeks ago.  And I am not even retired yet.  If she wants it done before that, she will have to pay a contractor for it.......grin

Edited by Dadvw
  • Haha 2

Stickers

18 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

I have to say that wall color is awesome.  Just sayin, that is the largest surface in any room, and getting the color right can make the difference between ok, and spectacular.

Wifey says, "Thank you, AndrewJohn...especially coming from a dude".  I am color blind so I have a genetic pass when it comes to choosing paint colors, however, she still asks for my opinion.  For the home theater accent wall, I think she put 4 colors on the wall before she decided on one.  If you like it, I can send you the specs. It is a Behr paint.  I must say that I like it much better than the colors we picked when we first remodeled.

• That Rocks 3

Stickers

18 hours ago, Dadvw said:

My wife was just telling me that a couple of weeks ago.  And I am not even retired yet.  If she wants it done before that, she will have to pay a contractor for it.......grin

Almost off-thread..., I must say..., one thing that keeps my marriage going is that I do NO PAINTING (ok, outside on high ladders - but the exterior trim I finish today may be the last time I do that...)   Inside, I'll do anything, fix, remodel, reframe, plumbing, electrical, move doors and windows..., but she does ALL the Painting.  I absolutely hate painting.

• That Rocks 2

Stickers

Really nice work. This is quite an undertaking and is very well thought out and executed. You have to be very happy and must be having an absolute picnic as you get closer and closer to completion. Keep those pictures coming - they are a real treat and speak volumes about your skill sets. I’m envious of your craftsmanship.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

Looks Fantastic!  The end of the tunnel is in sight (or is that the 5-o'clock express...).    |-|

Did you leave enough room for the 140" screen you'll eventually want to put in there?   ;)

BTW, love your "sig" line!

• Haha 1

Stickers

1 hour ago, Rockster2U said:

Really nice work. This is quite an undertaking and is very well thought out and executed. You have to be very happy and must be having an absolute picnic as you get closer and closer to completion. Keep those pictures coming - they are a real treat and speak volumes about your skill sets. I’m envious of your craftsmanship.

Thanks for the compliment. Since this is the first project I have built, I have learned a lot.  It is coming together according to plan and I hope to be completely done by the end of March and using it.  The last to do is carpet, chairs, riser, and lights for the steps......grin.

49 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Looks Fantastic!  The end of the tunnel is in sight (or is that the 5-o'clock express...).    |-|

Did you leave enough room for the 140" screen you'll eventually want to put in there?   ;)

BTW, love your "sig" line!

I really haven’t accounted for a bigger screen. A 75 inch Sony TV is going to hang between the speakers. I think I can go 85 inch before doing some thing different. A projector wasn’t an option at this time, maybe later.......grin

960122DB-3F5D-4E60-82DE-F7A64CB7B65C.jpeg

Edited by Dadvw
  • That Rocks 5

Stickers