AndrewJohn

Colon Cancer Screening Awareness - A Reminder

Today is my annual Golf outing..., Played a lot when I lived in California.  Twice a year, pilgrimage to Monterey Peninsula.  Played all the TV pro-tourney courses.  Playing 4 to 6 rounds in a weekend was a little "Psycho"..., our wives used to say.  I played every course in San Francisco, private, public, muni, except for one that had a discrimination problem.  Don't play but once a year now.

A good golfing buddy friend of mine died several years ago, of colon cancer.  The best hands at Stanford and UCSF medical centers could only delay the inevitable.  He didn't get "screened", like we all should.

My question to my C! friends: Have you had your colonoscopy?  Has your wife or better half?  (Colon Cancer does NOT discriminate based on Gender.)

One of my good friends from Santa Barbara was saved as a result of our friend's death. He went in, got screened, and had a chunk of his upper intestine removed.  Screening saved his life.  In memorial to our buddy (we played golf at least once a week for years, back in the 90's), My friend started PsychoTour. a 501c3, to raise awareness for colon cancer screening.

"PsychoTour: Together, we can prevent colon cancer one hole at a time."

Read about it here, and the story of Tony. https://www.psychotour.org/mission 

Two golf tourney's, each year, one on the west coast, the other here in Chicago-land.  Grass-roots.  We have a speaker from a local hospital, for the banquet, usually.

My mission, once a year, to push my good friends to get a colonoscopy.  

My work is done here. 

• Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

You are correct....Everyone needs to be checked.   I was 6 years late on the recommended age for screening. There's something about  ANAL and  PROBE  used in the same sentence,  that just sounds wrong. I was violated on the 5th....:--D  The good news is..I'm good for another 5 years....:D/.  

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dnspy007 said:

You are correct....Everyone needs to be checked.   I was 6 years late on the recommended age for screening. There's something about  ANAL and  PROBE  used in the same sentence,  that just sounds wrong. I was violated on the 5th....:--D  The good news is..I'm good for another 5 years....:D/.  

For me, the hard part is the prep of drinking that night-before gallon.  Challenging, no matter what the taste.

Worth every bit of the effort, though.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

It was very painless. And you get to make a lot of 13 year old jokes with the nurses.

They were running late on my appointment - as the nurse was walking me to the exam, I could honestly say I could see she was running a little behind.

• Thank You 1

I had my first this year. I put it off for 15 years from when they first started recommending it. I told my doc that I hated having his finger in there, and I like him. I'm not letting a stranger run toys ...

I'm good for another 5

• Thank You 2

Stickers

4 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Have you had your colonoscopy?

Good for 10 years. 

1 hour ago, AndrewJohn said:

For me, the hard part is the prep of drinking that night-before gallon. 

It is like drinking automobile anti-freeze. Terrible tasting concoction! 

• Haha 1

Stickers

With my several hernia repairs, the prep is the same, not pleasant at all!

with my current hernia, colonoscopy is not possible, the other diagnostic tool is a barium enema, I can’t say it’s any better!  But glad I’m good for now!

• Thank You 1

I am going to do the stool sample method first, then if they have to do the colonoscopy, that will be second.......grin

• Thank You 1

Stickers

At the banquet/dinner after the event, yesterday.  They had a speaker, a Northwestern Medicine colo-rectal surgeon.  Gave us some updates on the new guidelines...  Colon Cancer is indiscriminate..., we know that.  But now it has moved into even younger generations based on a number of dietary, statistically relevant family history and environmental factors.  

New recommendation is to have your first colonoscopy at 45, (not 50).  5 years, the surgeon said, can kill you.  Don't put it off.  It's usually covered by insurance - and is covered by Medicare.  And like @Charlie said, they (typically) put you under anesthesia, so the only hard part making the appointment, and drinking the "juice" the night before. 

I met a lot of guys at the golf event that had a ~foot of colon removed, due to polyps found.  All had their lives saved just by getting the screening.

Tell your friends and loved ones.  It's a subject that we cannot ignore, and colon cancer is 100% preventable - IF you think of it like your annual dental cleaning..., get it done, and know for sure.

Thanks guys,

AJ

• Thank You 5

Stickers

1 hour ago, AndrewJohn said:

drinking the "juice" the night before. 

I still don't know why that's so hard. The juice I drank was just barely thicker than water and lightly lemon flavored, not unpleasant at all. It went down much easier than I'd been told.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

Sister recently lost a friend to Colon Cancer.  His illness left him without work.  With no work had no insurance.  He lasted about 3 years before he succumbed to the cancer.  It takes about 7 years to get to that stage.  He failed to have tests done when he did have insurance and he paid the heavy price.  There are other preps procedures available without having to drink a gallon of stuff.   Sodium phosphates Magnesium Citrate,  after a round of ducolax.  Ask your dr. for an alternative than the gallon crap.

Edited by danowood
spelling correction
  • Thank You 3