Dadvw

Cold Air Intake kits for vehicles

Has anyone here on the forum tried or is using one of these?  I am considering putting one of these on my truck.  It is a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 5.3L Vortec engine.  Since this is the largest engine I have in the fleet, was looking for a little more mileage and performance from the upgrade.  Just curious about your experience with one before I spend some Carver upgrade (OCCD) money on a kit........grin

Stickers

I have used the K&N cold air induction units on a 90 Dodge Stealth, 96 Mitsubishi 3000GT, 00 Dodge Ram 1500, & a 03 Dodge Ram 1500 with moderate success. All but the 00 Dodge Ram saw slight increases in gas mileage. If there were power increases, I didn't notice. The 00 Dodge Ram was so underpowered with the 318cid  engine, that the only thing that would have helped it would have been an engine transplant. My present truck 03 Ram 5.7L hemi truck was most improved by the K&N unit. 

This was all with stock engine software. I later added reprogramming to the Hemi truck, and that was a quite noticeable improvement. I've since reverted back to the stock programming for the better gas mileage and less wear and tear.

They look so cool though! :D 

I hope that helps

• Thank You 1

A little more underhood noise has to mean more power!

I've had a couple but found using a quality air filter element and judicious carving out of restrictive plastic inside the stock breather assembly yielded the same minor improvement in mileage.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

Stickers

1 hour ago, RodH said:

I've had a couple but found using a quality air filter element and judicious carving out of restrictive plastic inside the stock breather assembly yielded the same minor improvement in mileage.

I did what Rod suggested with the air box on my Kawasaki (It comes with Ram Air anyway) and my gas mileage did increase a bit but running it on the dyno only yielded about a 3HP increase.... :-k

• Thank You 1

Back in the carburetor days, a cold air intake (still sketchy even then) would have made more of a difference.  Now, as long as your fuel-air mixture can reach stoichiometric ratio, the intake can be capable of much more air flow, but never use it.

The major gains are had by the filters that people are running dry, when they should be wet; so of course more airflow, (because less filtering) and more piston wall scoring;  Is it really cold air if you have one of those cone filters drawing straight from the hot engine bay?

I almost HAD to switch to a modified air intake on my car (in order to bump the tune up to stage 2+), but the carefully designed (looks like Rod is calling it restrictive?) channels in my OEM intake box provide enough airflow (according to APR) that I don't need to mess up my car with a CAI.

I vote that it's 'pointless'

1 hour ago, RodH said:

Speaking of noise, has anyone here done a turbo muffler delete on their car?

Edited by RichP714
  • Thank You 1

Stickers

I haven't tried a delete on a car but I did have an Akropovic muffler on my turbo Suzuki Hayabusa; we removed the muffler and gained about 17HP according to the dyno....

• Thank You 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie said:

I haven't tried a delete on a car but I did have an Akropovic muffler on my turbo Suzuki Hayabusa; we removed the muffler and gained about 17HP according to the dyno....

Thanks; I was asking more about the noise increase; whistles and pops and breathing whooshes..........how much more noticeable are they?  (I'm  asking about anyone who's done it on a car).

On a car, the HP delta is evidently non-existant (or within the margin of error on a dyno); they just make more noise; I'm asking how much more noise, and is just more or different

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Adding the K&N intake system for my Ford F150, 5.4 L Was sort of a wash. Like Rich said, if you getting all the an engine needs, yet are capable of more, then it is a wash.. um, just paraphrasing, not trying to take liberty here. I like the robust build of the K&N, yet strangely the air filter fit was way tight for my liking. 

I am picky about keeping the filter clean AND wet. My question is whether the K&N filter is as effective for filtration as a media filter.

• Thank You 2

8 minutes ago, 4krow said:

My question is whether the K&N filter is as effective for filtration as a media filter.

IF you run it dry, like most, then NO; they typically 'improve' airflow at the expense of filtration.

If you run it wet, and clean it regularly, then it may, but you're also likely to degrade performance by coating your MAF sensor and manifold with oil)

If you don't clean it regularly, then also NO.

https://www.f150forum.com/f2/please-explain-oem-air-intake-452438/

https://nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

https://4wheelsandamotor.com/technology/air-filters-keep-it-oem/

https://www.mishimoto.com/engineering/2016/11/filtering-right-stuff-dry-vs-oiled-air-filters/

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2212017316301475

Edited by RichP714

Stickers

CAFE. If there was a better way to eek MPG from a vehicle, OEM would incorporate it. They spend millions on R&D. Now, if you are looking for max airflow for high RPM HorsePower, K&N might have something for you. Your money is better spent on a non-working M-200t...like THIS ONE

• Thank You 2

There was so much advertising about the K&N making more available to the intake, but I never heard a word about actual filtration.  The point about messing up the map sensor is one that I hadn't considered. 

It's just that this truck gets more like yardage rather than mileage from the beginning, so there have been a few considerations for better fuel economy.

• Thank You 1

10 minutes ago, kve777 said:

CAFE. If there was a better way to eek MPG from a vehicle, OEM would incorporate it. They spend millions on R&D. Now, if you are looking for max airflow for high RPM HorsePower, K&N might have something for you. Your money is better spent on a non-working M-200t...like THIS ONE

I agree. So much money spent in R&D. Why waste yours. Best latest I have seen is on the Dodge Challenger Demon and Redeye the way they divert the air conditioning into the air intake when in track mode.

• Thank You 3

I have never tried one, but K&N makes sock to stick over the filter. You know, a pre-filter. Yes, of course, now you have to keep an eye that one too. When I lived in AZ the dusty conditions were extreme at times, and this idea seemed to have some merit. I live in town now, and it may well make a difference for the better.

Come to think of it, a few months ago, I had the intake system cleaned out by the advice of a trusted mechanic. Yes, the idle improved, so it was a good move, but nothing else changed.

• Thank You 1

6 hours ago, Dadvw said:

Has anyone here on the forum tried or is using one of these?  I am considering putting one of these on my truck.  It is a 2004 GMC Sierra with a 5.3L Vortec engine.  Since this is the largest engine I have in the fleet, was looking for a little more mileage and performance from the upgrade.  Just curious about your experience with one before I spend some Carver upgrade (OCCD) money on a kit........grin

I had a 2006 Mustang 4.0 V6 automatic that really needed more horsepower - tried a K&N that did not require recalibration of the PCM, was louder but no noticeable difference in power.  Sold it on craigslist and got Ford Racing's CAI with an aftermarket tune (calibration), made more power but still not a V8. Traded it for a 2012 Mustang GT, much more fun to drive.

Mark

• Thank You 1

41 minutes ago, 4krow said:

but K&N makes sock to stick over the filter. You know, a pre-filter.

I use one of these in my offroad truck see's only dusty roads and trails, works great clean the sock regularly only need to clean the filter half as often  

• Thank You 2

If it were a Harley then the exhaust gets done at the same time as the intake. Fuel injection gets a tuner program. There is a recipe sort of speak where all the ingredients have to work together.

• Thank You 1

I inherited this truck from my dad last year. It only has 49xxx miles on it.  I flushed the fluids and installed synthetics in the engine and transmission and installed a K&N air filter in it at the time.  I also have one in my car I bought new in 2011.  I clean it every year, clean the MAF when I do and I have never had any issues using them.  I get 18-19mpg highway which is what it is rated for.  I was just thinking that it might help improve the fuel economy a little more.....grin

Stickers