New music you’d like to share.

Daddyjt

I’m at the point in my audio journey (and I’m sure a few of you are too) where I really don’t need more gear, are at least gear that is significantly better than what I already have is beyond my means.  Therefore, what really drives me now, is new music to enjoy. It’s become a bit of an obsession, driven in part by my discovery of the Shazam app.

I know we already have the “what are you listening to now” thread, and the “song of the day” thread, and while those are great in their own right, knowing that someone is listening to DSOTM, Aja, Rumors, etc isn’t really what I’m looking for. The purpose of this thread is to share music that you have discovered, that you have a reasonable belief the many here may not have heard of.  Any genre, any medium - quality recordings a definite plus. 

A couple of my recent “finds”:

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 2

Thanks @Daddyjt- I think this is a very valid departure from the "What Are You Listening To, Now" thread., which, I admit, I find very useful for checking out existing music (often older, and perhaps forgotten, in my case).   This looks like a great formum for all of us to present new things we come across that we really think should be shared.  My wallet may not like you for this, but my ears definitely do.  

I am, however, a bit worried about you saying you "really don't need more gear" (even if it perhaps may be true) - just stay quiet and I'll call 911 for you.  :)

• Haha 1

This may by a little too mainstream for some, and not quite really new, but it's the lead track off an album that I find myself returning to again, and again, of late.  For what's ostensibly a guitar album, the balance of instruments is great - there's none of the "hear me - it's my album" attitude that can easily take over when an artist does a solo album.  YMMV.  

• Thank You 4

61ijH0tUrcL._SS500_.jpg

Not Charlie Hunter's most recent release but this duo setting sounds like a guitar-Hammond B3/bass-drum  trio/quartet, thanks to Hunter's eight-string guitar (five treble strings, three bass). "That doesn't mean that Hunter's playing sounds gimmicky -- on the contrary, his virtuosity makes this duo album sound like a nice, conventional guitar trio date. Percussionist Leon Parker is a bit more active than most jazz drummers, and that works out very nicely in this context, especially on the Latin-tinged "Mean Streak" and on Parker's own "Belief." There are also fine interpretations of the old jazz chestnut, "You Don't Know What Love Is," and of Brian Wilson's "Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)." Hunter's funky "The Spin Seekers" harks back to his work with T.J. Kirk. This is a wonderful, warm, rewarding album."

• Thank You 1