New music you’d like to share.

Daddyjt

Tord Gustavsen, 2016 release What was said.

"However unorthodox all this cross-translation seems, Tander makes it sound completely natural. Her intimate, lyrical voice is equally at home in both languages, as well as singing wordless vocalise and improvising. Gustavson still plays the piano as his main instrument, but has augmented it with discreet electronics and occasional synthesizer bass, while Vespestad provides percussive textures or timekeeping as required. So the group is a true trio, not just a vocalist with accompanists.

• Thank You 4

Mac Demarco, Here Comes The Cowboy was released on May 10, 2019.

On his fourth album, Here Comes the Cowboy, DeMarco keeps it weirder and more mellow than ever. Take the title track, which started as a twangy guitar part that tumbled out when he was messing around in his garage last year. Next came a phrase that he repeated like a mantra: “Here comes the cowboy …”

You can read the rest of the review here...

• Thank You 2

Wayne Shorter  'One By One'  Trumpet: Wynton Marsalis - Tenor Sax: Billy Pierce - Piano: Jimmy Williams - Bass: Charles Fambrough - Drums: Art Blakey

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Skinny Hightower, The Blue Moon was released on March 27, 2020.

"As dynamic and infectious as the hits that made composer, keyboardist and producer Skinny Hightower a force in urban jazz are, the deeply emotional, multi-faceted story behind his extraordinary new album Blue Moon lets us know that the artist himself was destined for bigger, funkier, more soul-satisfying realms."

• Thank You 2

Oli Silk 6 will be released tomorrow, May 29, 2020. New Bounce is a single from that album.

"With a string of choice albums to his name and a profile that makes him the United Kingdom’s favorite smooth jazz keyboard player, the superb Oli Silk is back with his sixth solo project, the appropriately titled ‘6’.  The first track to be serviced to radio is the ultra smooth ‘New Bounce’ that features the always excellent Vincent Ingala and if this choice number is anything to go by ‘6’ looks like being a real gem."

You can check for a future full review here...

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 2

Raul Midon, The Mirror was released on March 13, 2020.

"In Raul Midón’s new track “The Mirror,” the Grammy-nominated singer-songwriter and guitar virtuoso considers the mirror as a metaphor.  “I am fascinated with the mirror as a metaphor for how we teach each other by our behavior,” Midón tells American Songwriter. “Every relationship is a mirror reflecting back to us all of our virtues and faults.”

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

Rose Tattoo released Outlaws on March 6, 2020. This album is a re-recording of their 1978 release, Rock N Roll Outlaw. These Australian rockers remind me of Slade. 

In addition to classics like "Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock 'N' Roll)", "Rock N' Roll Outlaw", "One Of The Boys" and "Bad Boy For Love", which have etched their way into the music landscape over the last 40-plus years, "Outlaws" includes three bonus tracks from the very early days, songs that were demoed and never made the final cut, those being "love song" "Rosetta", written back in 1975 by Angry Anderson and Ian Rilens, "Snow Queen" and "Sweet Love Rock and Roll", penned by Ian Rilens.

Lovable rogue Angry Anderson recruited the best in the business to head up the assault on this one, comprising legendary bass player Mark Evans of AC/DC fame, iconic guitarist Bob Spencer, Dai Pritchard on slide and Jackie Barnes on drums.  You can read the rest of the review and interview here...

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

A Conversation With Alice and When One Door Opens are the first two official releases of an upcoming Joe Bonamassa album that is yet unnamed.

"Joe Bonamassa has surprised fans with the release of a new single, A Conversation With Alice. The track was released last Friday (17 April) and is the first to come off the bluesman’s forthcoming record, recorded earlier this year at famed Abbey Road Studio A."

"When One Door Opens once again sees Bonamassa joined by members of his side project, The Sleep Eazys – made up of drummer Anton Fig (Late Night With David Letterman), keyboardist Reese Wynans (Double Trouble) and bassist Michael Rhodes.

Both tunes will appear on Bonamassa’s upcoming album, set to arrive later this year, but they’re still unnamed at this point."

You can read the rest of the review of A Conversation With Alice here...

You can read the rest of the review of When One Door Opens here...

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Swamp Dogg's Sorry You Couldn't Make It was released on March 6, 2020.

"Jerry Williams Jr. knows how to tell a colorful story because he’s lived one. Ever since a revelatory psychedelic experience in the late 1960s, the 77-year-old musician and producer has issued some two dozen volumes of far-out funk and soul explorations as his larger-than-life alter ego, Swamp Dogg.

Billed as Williams’ country album, Sorry You Couldn’t Make It hits its thematic marks within funkified arrangements. “I’d Rather Be Your Used to Be” and “Sleeping Without You Is a Dragg” are exemplary tearjerkers; “Family Pain” addresses the intergenerational fractures of poverty and addiction. “A Good Song,” meanwhile, feels like a zoomed-in update to Tom T. Hall’s plainly gorgeous “I Love.”

• Thank You 2

Tesla's Five Man London Jam was released on March 27, 2020.

"The MTV Unplugged TV show debuted about a year before Tesla’s Five Man Acoustical Jam album, so it’s technically unfair to give Tesla credit for kicking off the 1990s unplugged phenomenon, but Tesla’s chart-topping live acoustic album demonstrated the potential of the unplugged format, if a band was willing to reconsider its catalog in a thoughtful way. Acoustical Jam is great because Tesla chose appropriate songs (their own, but a solid selection of covers), reworking them in smart ways. And 30 years later, Tesla is going back to the live, mostly unplugged well, with Five Man London Jam, a reboot of Five Man Acoustical Jam that proves the band is somehow immune to the ravages of time."

• Thank You 2

Quin Krantz' Conviction of Faith was released on April 10, 2020.

For me, this is worth a listen, but it won't make it to my regular playlist. You may love it or not, choice is yours, and of course no judgement. :D 

The only review I can find is from a questionable download site, so I'll only briefly quote them here.

"The quinquanz, which debuted in 2018, is a contemporary jazz band of 5 people from Nagoya.In this work, a new generation of talented drummer, Hiroshi Kimura, who is active in the JAZZ scene in Tokyo, joins the band to listen to a new direction and the expanse of the band sound.In addition, junko, a guest vocalist and vocalist, uses a clear voice and a voice with no lyrics.I would like you to feel the sound of the next generation of the band that combines the music with the strong story and the unique interplay of jazz through the current work."

• Love this! 1

Niels Lan Doky's River Of Time was released on April 3, 2020.

"Danish pianist Niels Lan Doky emerged in the 1980s and is long since a global jazz star even if there has not been an album out in a while. The invaluable discography site Discogs lists the last record out under his own name as 2011's Human Behaviour.

Comprised completely of his own originals, the River of Time tunes are excellent, and initial impressions suggest massive sophistication in an Ahmad Jamal lineage, covering terrain that Jacky Terrasson also often navigates at least when Terrasson turns more classic."

• Love this! 2

Nightwish's  HVMAN . :II: NATVRE was released on April 10, 2020

It almost seems strange to place Nightwish among some of the biggest bands in modern metal, but it’s effectively true. They’re basically the faces of symphonic metal, and though the slimness of that niche can further some of the confusion, armies of devoted fans and gigantic world tours with commendable regularity speak for themselves.

Shadowdream, Jazz Soundtracks For Embalming was released on April 10, 2020.

This is a very haunting, dark metal album, yet it's musical, symphonic, and it doesn't make me want to kill myself (or anyone else, for that matter). I do enjoy this, and the use of a thunderstorm on Thy Light.

Shadowdream's comments on this album:

"About six years ago when I met Carlo Bellotti and signed to his label, I could not imagine that the possibility of working what you enjoy with people whom you respect is possible, but that certainly was and is in this case. During the production for this album, it was not just the anxiety with creation of music, playing and recording, but with the investigation of many crimes and murders in order to get the best musical atmosphere to describe them. During the recording in 2017 and 2018 I have managed to talk with people who were and are committed to mental institution, some with criminal past, others who were abused, and that brought a lot of much needed raw emotion to the album. Therefore, this album is a fictional story inspired by real-life events and experiences. And, besides this, without Carlo’s support and amazing production by Dimitrije Mladenovic, this magnum opus would not be possible. “Jazz Soundtracks for the Embalming” is an album I am very proud of in many aspects, but mainly because I truly feel that it is “Film without a picture”. And because it is part of Epictronic catalogue."

• Thank You 1

Connie Han, Iron Starlet will be released on June 12, 2020.

"A decisively brazen talent, pianist Connie Han rushes into the fire touched off by her 2018 Mack Avenue debut Crime Zone, bringing more accelerant to bear on Iron Starlet.

With an exhilarating control of her skills and vision and an intimate clairvoyance into all that has come before her, Han bids trumpeter Jeremy Pelt the opening fanfare for the album's flag track, thus clearing headspace for Han, bassist Ivan Taylor and drummer/producer/musical director Bill Wysaske to swoop in like a trio of Lockheed SR-71 Blackbirds, and it's all hands on deck. Piano and drums are locked in tight and tighter, (even during Han's torched solo does Wysaske solo more than accompany). Pelt, with an upper tone and stylistic range embodying Lee Morgan and Freddie Hubbard concurrently, falls perfectly into Han's kindling blueprint: that when past meets future both coexist and co-create and for Iron Starlet. It's game on from there."

Ms. Han 

• Thank You 1
  • Love this! 2

Five Finger Death Punch F8 was released on February 20, 2020.

FFDP is my favorite metal band, hands down, finger(s) up. :D 

"Nothing engenders vitriol and scorn quite like success. By this point, everybody has pretty much decided whether they like FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH or not. One of the virtues of having such a recognizable sound is that there isn't much scope for sitting on the fence here: whether you regard the Las Vegas arena regulars as one of modern metal's ultimate good-time bands, or a seemingly indestructible throwback to the knuckleheaded horrors of early '00s "wrestling metal", it's difficult to listen to any of 5FDP's music to date without picking a side. And, as you might expect, "F8" is no different. But what the band's detractors continue to ignore is that this juggernaut is not stopping any time soon, and after a few years of interpersonal turmoil and vocalist Ivan Moody's very public fall and rise, the spotlight shining on album number eight is brighter than ever."

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2