New music you’d like to share.

Daddyjt

Keith McKelley, Liquid Smoke was released on March 1, 2020.

I can't find a review of this album anywhere. 

This is saxophone led big band smooth jazz. If you like smooth jazz, you'll like this album. It gets an 8.5 on the  Sk1Bum 10 point scale.

• Thank You 2

Phillip Sayce, Spirit Rising was released on April 24, 2020.

"Philip Sayce comes out swinging on his brand-new record Spirit Rising, a hot-handed, career-making effort that drops April 24th, 2020 via Warner Music Group. Sayce is an immensely talented guitarist and vocalist with a mind-bending blues/rock style that invokes the giants of the past while simultaneously bringing the idea of rock music into the present and beyond. The record covers a ton of stylistic ground and genuinely expresses all that Sayce is and does. This time out, he worked with songwriters including Richard Marx, the L.A. writing team/band Distant Cousins, and Toronto’s Gavin Brown and Maia Davies, resulting in an album that seamlessly moves from blazing guitars to deep soul music. Through it all, Sayce brings listeners the kind of thrills that lead to stardom."

• Thank You 2

Soul Asylum, Hurry Up & Wait was released on April 17, 2020

"Hurry Up and Wait, the twelfth album by Minneapolis rockers Soul Asylum, doesn’t tread much new ground, but it is a good representation of frontman Dave Pirner’s vision. The album is sonically similar to the band’s output since its 1992 breakthrough Grave Dancer’s Union, melding rock intensity with sing-along melodies while lacking much of the raw riff-heavy sound of the band’s 1980s work."

You can read the rest of the review here...

I have to agree with Mr. Lukens review. This album doesn't break new ground for Soul Asylum, and it gets a 6 on the Sk1Bum 10 point scale. I wouldn't change the station if I heard this on the radio, but I probably wouldn't turn it up either. This album would make good background music if I was working on something I needed to focus on, as it certainly wouldn't distract me.

• Thank You 2

The Alligator Wine, Demons of the Mind was released on April 24, 2020.

"A twisted haven of creative sounds and fresh thinking.  Delightfully dark in places whilst fantastically Funkadelic in others.  Let Rob Vitacca and Thomas Teufel take you on an inspirational and experimental mind trip with this incredible album.

A rising of organ notes and a cackle of birds.  A deep voice draws you in with talk of suffering.  It sucks you down and then spits you out with a shout of “Shotgun” and the music takes off.  It is upbeat, drum-heavy Rock ‘n’ Roll but there’s a hint of something else.  A clip-clop of cowbell, a gesture of Jazz in places?  One track in and it is already difficult to believe that there are just 2 members in this band and no guitars."

• Thank You 1

Bob Dylan, Rough and Rowdy Ways was released on June 19, 2020. This is his first new material since 2012.

"The great Bob Dylan made a sensational return to form with the release of his 39th studio album Rough and Rowdy Ways.

The record, which debuted at number two in the charts, once again delivered yet more records as for the iconic singer-songwriter as he became one of the first artists in history to have a charting album across six different decades."

• Thank You 2

Thank you!!! What a different sound and styling for Dylan. I need to hear the rest of that one! I really like the records Time out of Mind and Blood on the Tracks. I have the CD and a sweet half speed master vinyl of Blood on the Tracks.  The vinyl wins - vocal is warmer and more realistic.

• Thank You 1

Slow Is The New Fast, Slower was released on May 22, 2020.

"Slow Is The New Fast is back with their second album "Slower". An album where both the music and the ensemble has gone through a bit of change since the debut "Slow" in 2018. Håkon Aase on violin and Henriette Eilertsen on flute is the new contributing duo that takes the music to higher grounds."

"A companion piece to 2018’s Listening To Pictures, this second volume in the pentimento series presents eight new tracks by the music visionary, continuing his lifelong exploration of the possibilities of recombination and musical gene-splicing. Pentimento is defined as the “reappearance in a painting of earlier images, forms, or strokes that have been changed and painted over” and this is evident in the innovative production style that ‘paints with sound’ using overlapping nuances to create an undefinable and intoxicating new palette."

• Thank You 3

Victor Wainwright & The Train, Memphis Loud was released on May 22, 2020

"Call it jump-blues, boogie-woogie, honky-tonk or plain old rock ‘n roll, the music which Grammy nominee, Savannah-born pianist Victor Wainwright records and so clearly adores, practically crackles with electricity. It’s a force summoned from the deep roots of the earth and channelled through the spirit and into his fingers, powered by American history and informed by decades of roots music."

• Thank You 2

23 hours ago, Receiver2000 said:

Very cool. Almost sounds like the soundtrack to a very suspenseful movie.

23 hours ago, RodH said:

That reminds me of some of the earlier Fripp / Eno work.

Yes,  hypnagogia, a "hypnagogic soundscape", the transitional state from wakefulness to sleep, "borderland state", "half-dream state",  "threshold consciousness" phase –hallucinations, lucid thought, lucid dreaming, sleep paralysis.  Interesting stuff.

Edited by dcl
Text
  • Thank You 1

Will Bernard, Freelance Subversives was released on May 1, 2020.

"Will Bernard’s new recording is titled Freelance Subversives; the title itself is the best description of his method, his mindset, and his storied career. His journey began in Berkley California, itself a hotbed of both freelancers and subversives. Listening in to underground radio as a young man he picked up on the greats - first in rock and roll with The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Dr. John, The Rolling Stones - and then the typically Bay Area sounds of The Grateful Dead, Santana, Tower Of Power, and more. Sent off to a culturally diverse school courtesy of the the US busing program, Will was exposed to some great teachers as he picked up the guitar as his choice of musical expression."

• Thank You 2