Daddyjt

New music you’d like to share.

Patricia Barber, Higher was released on March 15, 2019.

"For four decades, Chicago pianist Patricia Barber has been quietly, but steadily, creating her own unique brand of music.

Higher, the bandleader’s first new recording in six years, merges jazz harmonies and rhythms with classical art song and erudite poetry, and features “Angels, Birds And I ...”—an ambitious song cycle—alongside a few jazz standards."

You can read the rest of the review here...

• Thank You 2

Stickers

Lunar Clock, The Scream Of Nature was released on April 12, 2020.

"Dutch progressive project Lunar Clock releases a conceptual album inspired by the paintings of Edvard Munch."

I couldn't find a review on the web, so here goes.

Each track reminds me of another band. The first track reminds me of Bohemian Rhapsody, because of the harmonies, but it is very different. The second track brings Pink Floyd to mind. The guitar part is very David Gilmour like. The third track reminds me of Emerson Lake & Palmer because of the keyboards... then Jethro Tull... and so it goes with the entire album. I enjoyed this album, but it most likely won't get played much. If I want to hear Queen, I'll play Queen. The same goes for Pink Floyd, ELP, and Jethro Tull. 

If you like progressive rock, you'll most likely enjoy this album too. This album gets a 6.5 on the Sk1Bum 10 point scale.

• That Rocks 1

Stickers

Good analysis there Sk1bum. I hear some Quadrophenia, Jean Luc Ponty and other somewhat familiar but unidentifiable passages. Very interesting.

• Thank You 1

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers, Just Coolin' was recorded in 1959, and released on July 17, 2020.

"On July 17, Blue Note Records will release Just Coolin’, a never-before-released studio album by Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers that was recorded on March 8, 1959 in Rudy Van Gelder’s living room studio in Hackensack, New Jersey. The session featured a short-lived line-up of The Jazz Messengers with drummer Art Blakey, trumpeter Lee Morgan, tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley, pianist Bobby Timmons, and bassist Jymie Merritt. The album features two previously unissued compositions including Timmons’ tune “Quick Trick,” which is available today to stream or download. Just Coolin’ can be pre-ordered now in several formats: CD, digital download, and an all-analog 180g vinyl pressing that was mastered by Kevin Gray."

• Thank You 2

Stickers

Glenn Zaleski, The Question was released on July 17, 2020.

"Zaleski has just released a beautiful new album called The Question, this time in a quintet format. The title refers to the questions and uncertainties of a young man who turned 30 in the summer of 2019, on the verge of new fatherhood and responsibilities. Walks with his wife in Brooklyn’s Prospect Park and visits to The Vale of Cashmere last summer found Zaleski meditating on this transitional moment in his life and conceiving material for a quintet."

• Thank You 2
  • Love this! 1

Stickers

Too Slim & The Taildraggers, The Remedy was released on July 17, 2020.

"With 10 originals and one cover by Elmore James, The Remedy is a dynamic blues-infused rock and roots album, that once again proves the songwriting mettle of this hard-driving trio. Visual storytelling abounds, brought to life by multiple award-winner Tim Langford (Too Slim) on guitar and vocals, Zach Kasik on bass and vocals, and Jeff “Shakey” Fowlkes on drums. This time out, there are guest appearances from harmonica players Jason Ricci, Richard “Rosy” Rosenblatt and Sheldon Ziro. And what wonderful additions to the mix they are. Recorded in Nashville at Zach Kasik’s Wild Feather Recording studio, The Remedy is produced by the band."

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

FourTet, Sixteen Oceans was released on March 13, 2020.

"Four Tet's 10th album, Sixteen Oceans, begins on the dancefloor, travels to the woods, and ends becalmed, invoking, and bestowing peace and tranquility.

It is hard to believe that Kieran Hebden has been making music as Four Tet for over 20 years and that Sixteen Oceans is his tenth album under that name, not to mention his countless mixes, remixes, mix albums, collaborations, and solo releases during that time."

• Thank You 2

Stickers

Posted (edited)

Ekhidna is the latest from Norwegian guitar phenom Hedvig Mollestad. This one is a solo outing having preferred to drop 'Trio' from the artist name. What to expect? Well, suppose Jimmy Page and Tony Iommi were mashed together and sent off to jazz school and  you have something of an idea of Hedvig's playing, but that's not really the whole of it. Expect avant-garde soundscapes with heavy grooves in a free-form atmosphere. I just discovered her and quickly grabbed all her music. Simply phenomenal!

Edited by weitrhino
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

The Pretenders, Hate For Sale was released on July 17, 2020.

"Chrissie Hynde brings back some old bandmates for a brisk record that acknowledges The Pretenders are best when they’re direct and unadorned."

For me, this is the best Pretenders album in a long time. Ms. Hynde is singing with passion again, and the album isn't over produced. I like it!

• Thank You 3

Stickers

Ruben Rubio, inexorable was released on June 15, 2020.

"′ Chrono ′′ is the first single from Inexorable, the second album by bassist Ruben Rubio, where the frantic rhythm of our lives is revealed. Time is inexorable and, we can't get it back once it's gone, but no one seems to realize how important it is until it's over. Don't waste a single second and enjoy every moment."

The review was taken from Ruben Rubio's facebook page.

• Thank You 1

Stickers