New music you’d like to share.

Daddyjt

Thank you. Parking is screwy at the Hollywood Bowl - it is stacked parking so you don't leave before the people in front of you leave. No early exit. If you go either Uber in or park about a block away at the American Legion. Then you can get your car anytime.

• Thank You 1

On 5/14/2024 at 12:41 PM, Receiver2000 said:

Thank you. Parking is screwy at the Hollywood Bowl - it is stacked parking so you don't leave before the people in front of you leave. No early exit. If you go either Uber in or park about a block away at the American Legion. Then you can get your car anytime.

Thank you!

I got my ticket for the Oct 29 show. Never thought I'd travel half way across the country for a show, but it is David Gilmour, and there most likely be many more chances to see him perform.

Hollywood Bowl is a really cool place. I need to try to get this arranged on my end so we can connect. After years of gibber jabbering on CS,  it would be great to meet. Even if we we don't sit together we can meet up at one of the fantastic places up the ramp to the bowl. Let's PM tomorrow. 

• Thank You 1

17 minutes ago, Receiver2000 said:

Hollywood Bowl is a really cool place. I need to try to get this arranged on my end so we can connect. After years of gibber jabbering on CS,  it would be great to meet. Even if we we don't sit together we can meet up at one of the fantastic places up the ramp to the bowl. Let's PM tomorrow. 

Sounds good to me. I've not decided if I'll fly or drive yet. There's a few national parks I'd like to see in California. I think y'all have 9? I know I'd like to see Yosemite, Redwood, Death Valley, Sequoia, and Joshua Tree.

Judas Priest, Invincible Shield was released on March 6, 2024

"In general, Judas Priest gives us an absolute shred fest with the solos on Invincible Shield. The solos on both "Sons of Thunder" (played by Glenn Tipton) and "Escape from Reality" (performed by Faulkner) really dial up the intensity and showcase just how adept the original masters are at their craft. The songs themselves don't stray from that songwriting formula Judas Priest really honed on those early 80s records and those us pushing 50 will get chills from the nostalgia."

You can read the rest of the review here...

• Thank You 2

Blue Oyster Cult, Ghost Stories was released on April 12, 2024.

"With 15 studio albums prior to the release of the interesting and new Ghost Stories, BÖC truly have no reason to provide us with new music, so they didn’t. What I mean by that is that Ghost Stories is less an album and more of a collection of forgotten pre-production tracks from 1977-1984 (Spectres through The Revölution by Night) as well as another cover from 2016. In other words, this is new old music and not new new music."

• Thank You 6

Mark Knopfler, One Deep River was released on April 12, 2024.

"One Deep River finds Knopfler at the ripe old age of seventy-four, and having not released a new record in six years – the longest gap between albums in quite a while. For the most part, though, this latest effort doesn’t feel like much of a divergence from the singer-songwriter’s norm. It continues his recent slide into more and more mellow musical territory - even vaguely high-energy tracks like the jaunty opener “Two Pairs Of Hands” and the bluesy “Scavengers Yard” are quite chill, while still proving positively energetic compared to the dozing country-rock of “Smart Money” or the utterly subdued “Black Tie Jobs” and “This One’s Not Going To End Well”.

• Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hawkwind, Stories of Time and Space was released on April 5, 2024.

"Whatever epithet you want to put on the band, there’s no denying Hawkwind is the real deal when it comes to National Treasures, British Institution or Trail Blazers. Having been on this journey since 1969 and having had so many members as to need their own Wikipedia page, that they are still a functioning band and have reached the milestone of this, studio album number thirty-six."

After listening to this, I noticed the time on the clock is wrong. It should read 4:20 instead of 10:10. :D 

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1

Seasick Steve, A Trip a Stumble a Fall Down on Your Knees was released on June 7, 2024.

"But it’s his honest, gutsy, intensity that keeps this set, which he considers his best, blazing until the closing slow burn, lovely ballad “Elisabeth,” enriched by Mickey Raphael’s crying harmonica. He sounds like he’s having as much fun concocting this bluesy feast as you will have devouring it."

New Riders of the Purple Sage, Hempsteader was released on April 10, 2024.

"The sound for a live recording from 1976 is quite good & gets better as it progresses. It’s especially fine since the performance is always energetic & that comes through. It opens with the classic “Panama Red,” from a group that shared audiences with The Grateful Dead since 1969. The group had several Grateful Dead members who played with them & that’s credibility you couldn’t buy. Their debut album came a few years later & went gold (1971 – peaking at #39) & like The Dead, their live shows were fun & defining."

While I'm not usually a fan of live recordings (with a few exceptions), this one is a fun listen, and brings back quite a few memories. If you like the Grateful Dead, and if you like country stoner music, you'll like this album. I've been a fan of the New Riders of the Purple Sage since The Adventures of Panama Red, and I still listen to that album occasionally.

The album was recorded at the Calderone Concert Hall in Hempstead NY.

• Love this! 1

Charlotte Day Wilson, Cyan Blue was released on May 3, 2024.

“Charlotte is one of the most ‘complete’ artists we’ve ever had the honour of working with,” Chester Hansen, a Grammy-winning songwriter and the bassist for BadBadNotGood, told me. “Ever since the first time we all wrote together we knew there was something special going on. She can pull a song pretty much out of thin air.”

Joanne Shaw Taylor, Heavy Soul was released on June 7, 2024.

"From the seven new Taylor originals to her thoughtful covers, Heavy Soul shows Taylor both embracing the styles that she initially found success with and trying new things. At a tight 44 minutes, it’s a crackling album full of energy and passion, a strong offering from Taylor that her fans are likely to love."

She just keeps getting better!

• Thank You 1

Black Country Communion, V was released on June 14, 2024.

"V is the fifth album from the retro-styled supergroup featuring Bonham, Bonamassa, Hughes and Sherinian.  After four albums, we know what to expect: Led Zeppelin mashed with Trapeze. Even after seven years since previous album BCCIV, BCC remember what they’re good at – and what we like. 

• That Rocks 1

The Kronos Quartet, Outer Spaceways Incorporated - Kronos Quartet & Friends Meet Sun Ra was released on June 21, 2024.

"The whole album succeeds in playing like a transmission from the stars, a deep space echo and chime. It is there right from the off with the title track, an intergalactic shower awash with black holes and comets accompanied by the swooshing swathes of the Kronos Quartet and an intermittent voice announcing missives from the other side of the moon."

Lindsey Stirling, Duality was released on June 14, 2024.

"Violinist Lindsey Stirling describes her latest album, aptly titled “Duality,” as two albums in one. The idea behind this name is that the twelve tracks on “Duality” come from, as the American artist says, two very different sides of herself. The result is Stirling’s most versatile album in years, featuring a diverse range of musical influences from around the world on one hand, and Stirling’s well-known combination of violin playing and electronic music on the other."

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Kurt Flavin, Six String Heart was released on May 21, 2024.

"Guitarist Kurt Flavin has just released his new album Six String Heart (2024). He is known for his technical skill and versatility in various genres of music like country music and blues. He has been playing guitar for over 20 years and has performed with numerous bands and artists."

That's the only review I can find.

This album shows his technical skill with the guitar, and I find it enjoyable. I'll play it occasionally, probably when I'm looking over my albums, run across it, and go, "oh yeah, this guy's pretty good."

He has a little bit of twang in his jazz licks, a little bit (or maybe more) rockabilly, and some impressive finger speed. I'll give this one a 7.5 on the Sk1Bum scale.

• That Rocks 1

Imagine Dragons, Loom was released on June 28, 2024.

"Imagine Dragons’ sixth studio album LOOM represents the pinnacle of their artistic journey of self-discovery and marks the best body of work they've ever made. LOOM, produced entirely by Imagine Dragons and their longtime collaborators Mattman and Robin, finds the perfect balance between the classic sounds that have made them superstars and the freshness that brought them joy in the studio. Featuring 9 brand new tracks including hit single “Eyes Closed”, LOOM signifies new beginnings on the horizon – the excitement for a new day, moments yet to come."