Amazon Music HD

Sk1Bum

Amazon launches Amazon Music HD with lossless audio streaming

Amazon  has a new, high-quality streaming tier of its music service called Amazon Music HD. It’s priced at $12.99 per month for Prime members ($14.99 per month for everyone else) and you can add it to your existing Amazon Music subscription for an additional $5 per month, whether you’re an individual or family plan subscriber. What you get for the additional cost is access to over 50 million songs in what Amazon is calling HD (16-bit, 44.1kHz or around what you’d expect from a CD), and then “millions” in Ultra HD (24-bit, up to 192kHz), which the company says is the highest available quality for any music streaming.

https://techcrunch.com/2019/09/17/amazon-launches-amazon-music-hd-with-lossless-audio-streaming/

https://www.amazon.com/music/unlimited/hd

• Thank You 5

• Community Admin

I had been waiting for this..., avoiding the temptation to invest (more) in Tidal's subscription plan.

What, if any, are the advantages of Tidal, and their 19.99/mo price point, now that Amazon has re-set the market price at 12.99/mo?

Seems a no brainer, but I'm not an expert here.

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 2

• 2 weeks later...

The sun went behind the clouds and the temperature dropped so... I signed up for the three month trial of Amazon HD Music.

EDIT - the weak link is Airplay 2 is limited to 24-bit 48kHz

Background:

I have been streaming Spotify Extreme 320 kbps for a few years now.

My devices connect to my Parasound P5 - utilizing it's built in DAC via Optical and Coax.

The Coax and optical inputs of the P5 accept all sampling rates up to 192 kHz, 24-bit

Using my iPhone 8 Plus I stream TO one of two devices:

*Airport Express (using the optical output to the P5)

*Wyred 4 Sound Sonos Connect (using the coax output to the P5)

The Sonos Connect is highly modified - it actually bypasses the oem Sirrius Logic CODAC and and is set to output at a rate of 96kHz.

APPS USED:

I use the terrific (well they recently upgraded it and managed to messed it up) SPOTIFY APP to stream SPOTIFY to the AIRPORT EXPRESS.

I use the SONOS APP (still not a great APP) to stream SPOTIFY to the SONOS.

Today reinstalled the AmazonMusic APP for my iPhone to stream AmazonMusic HD to my AIRPORT EXPRESS.

They have recently upgraded the graphics and interface. 

You will notice that ULTRA HD notation below the album cover.

If you click on it A POPUP displays the:

TRACK QUALITY

DEVICE CAPABILITY

CURRENTLY PLAYING AT

I won't have access to this information if I stream AmazonMusic HD via my SONOS APP.

The SONOS APP allows you to access all of your services but has limited functionality.

My DEVICE CAPABILITY (third picture)  is limiting my playing quality (second picture) - What is the Weak Link?

IMG_1613.jpg

This is the pop up if you click on the ULTRA HD (yellow)

IMG_1614.jpg

This is the pop-up if you click on the Learn More

IMG_1611.jpg

Edited by itchitch
  • Thank You 4
  • That Rocks 2

• 1 year later...

Sonos released the replacement for their legacy Sonos Connect product - The Sonos Port

It will process HiRez audio using their S2 app.

It still glitchy and requires a 2.4Ghz network - this is a pita

• Thank You 3

I've been thinking about subscribing to Tidal and noticed that they have a military discount.

• Military Discount
  • TIDAL is honored to offer a 40% discount to all who are serving or have served in the US Military.   

Each new sign up will receive a 30-day free trial after which the discounted rate will apply.

Military Premium - $5.99 USD a month with standard sound quality, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial. 

Military HiFi - $11.99 USD a month with lossless High Fidelity sound quality, high definition music videos, and expertly curated editorial. 

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002657817-Military-Discount

• Thank You 3

• 1 year later...

I decided to sign up for another FREE TRIAL of Amazon Music.

They have really increased the amount of music that is HD UHD and have added ATMOS.

Their interface is much better than it was when I posted in Sept 2019 (above).

I am still limited by my source (iPhone 14) and my bluetooth receiver.

I am not ready to commit in that I still have not figured out what the hell I am

going to use as a streamer.

Songs that are available in ATMOS are also available in HD Stereo.

The interface allows you to easily swipe back and forth to compare.

There was a remarkable improvement in sound on SOME songs.

On others, it sounded "gimmicky".

I do like the ability to see what quality is being played.

image.jpeg.f58d5cfad9cf22145da88316afc910de.jpeg

If you click on the HD (or UHD - Atmos) an updated information screen is displayed:

image.jpeg.05310557015c67ef85230258de12097d.jpeg

Swiping from the above screen on Atmos tracks gives you this screen:

image.jpeg.66d28991fd04fd44dc61c88d2186ad2d.jpeg

• Thank You 1

I’ve been using Amazon HD music for a good while snd use the echo link into my DAC.  Sounds good, easy to use and can easily be controlled with my iPhone app! now I’m in hospital still use it with my iPhone and sound-core liberty iii earbuds.  Does a good job, sure can’t wait to go home!

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 3