I need your attention - using mentions in posts

Nahash5150

All - I've noticed that some 'mention' attempts are not being done properly. When you want to mention a member, start by typing a '@' symbol, then enter the member name. You should see a drop down menu appear. If the drop down doesn't appear, then the editor doesn't recognize you are attempting a 'mention'. Try backspacing to the last 'return' (the end of line) or last word typed and try again. Enter the '@' symbol then type the first letter or two of the member's name. The member's name will appear in the drop down menu, select it, then continue typing as normal. The member name will be highlighted, like this:

@RichP714

Rich will receive a notification (according to his preferences) to the post he was mentioned in.

This will not notify Kevin:

@Kve777

It MUST appear this way:

@kve777

If you ever have any questions, please contact me! I'm here to help.

• Thank You 9

@Nahash5150, I've found it sometimes a bit hit or miss whether the list comes up, but I do think it's often an anomaly of the browser being used.  One thing I have discovered is that I do often have to scroll WAY WAY down to find where it's popped up the list (after typing in, say, @ N a h...).  For some reason it gets stuck way below the point of entry.  Again, that may be a browser anomaly - I tend to use Opera quite a bit, and it does have its quirks.

Question related to this.  I see people using the "mention" fomat in the Chatbox, but it doesn't seem to do anything - at least that I can see.  

• Thank You 1

@Nahash5150 - ya I had a early morning brain fart with this one. I typed your name with all lower case and the list came up with "Nahash5150" so I thought - yup that's who I want and just continued on like it was correct. As @Brian_at_HHH points out, it was almost off the screen, mostly covered by the info bar on Chrome. If I had closed that bar, I might have proceeded differently ... but probably not.

Thanks.

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Question related to this.  I see people using the "mention" fomat in the Chatbox, but it doesn't seem to do anything - at least that I can see.  

If you have sound notifications turned on with Chrome or Brave, you'll get a system beep when someone mentions you in chat.

• Thank You 2

2 hours ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

@Nahash5150, I've found it sometimes a bit hit or miss whether the list comes up, but I do think it's often an anomaly of the browser being used.  One thing I have discovered is that I do often have to scroll WAY WAY down to find where it's popped up the list (after typing in, say, @ N a h...).  For some reason it gets stuck way below the point of entry.  Again, that may be a browser anomaly - I tend to use Opera quite a bit, and it does have its quirks.

Hmmm, this is what I see on Chrome:

image.png

Send me a screenshot, I might be able to fix it.

Unfortunately, the Chatbox mention doesn't work the same as the forum, all it does is highlight the post for you, and if you have browser notifications on, it will probably 'ding' you. But the Chatbox is a plug-in, it's actually not part of the forum engine. ;)