Nahash5150

**MIGRATION UPDATES **

All,

Our host (A2 Hosting) is planning on migrating our server to a different company, Liquid Web. A2 is no longer hosting Windows VPS. So I'm going to migrate to a Linux Server with A2 instead. Some of our old web pages, such as the manuals database, will probably not work anymore if we go to Linux, but we already have plans on converting all of it to the Invision Engine (our forum engine).

We will have some downtime, so feel free to register at Nelionaudio.com where there is a forum and chat room. I will use the Nelion Newsletter to post updates while thecarversite.com is down.

This will likely happen next week. All depends on my time and A2's cooperation.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.

• Thank You 5

Stickers

No pressure, but do we have an idea on how long it will take?  I know, you will put up reminders on nelion…,   Just curious.  You are probably getting good at these transitions! (not that you want that reputation...) ?

thank you !

• Thank You 1

Stickers

4 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

No pressure, but do we have an idea on how long it will take?  I know, you will put up reminders on nelion…,   Just curious.  You are probably getting good at these transitions! (not that you want that reputation...) ?

thank you !

I really don't know...much of it is not within my control.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Good luck with it, Greg.  Hope things go well.  

If you wind up needing a hand, make sure you call out.

If at all possible, I'd suggest seeing if you can put up a placeholder page that gives people a notice of what's up, but I also realize that may not be easy, possible, convenient, or trivial.  9_9

47 minutes ago, Brian_at_HHH said:

Good luck with it, Greg.  Hope things go well.  

If you wind up needing a hand, make sure you call out.

If at all possible, I'd suggest seeing if you can put up a placeholder page that gives people a notice of what's up, but I also realize that may not be easy, possible, convenient, or trivial.  9_9

I send out emails when things like this happen.

The last time we had downtime, the server was down (quite unexpectedly), and so not even an error page would have displayed.

If we end up having downtime, and I don't think we will have much, like maybe a few hours, I can forward thecarversite to Nelion Audio in the event it's a total disaster.

• Thank You 4

Stickers

13 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

If we end up having downtime, and I don't think we will have much, like maybe a few hours, I can forward thecarversite to Nelion Audio in the event it's a total disaster.

Fingers crossed, that it is not

• Thank You 3

Stickers

2 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

We now have a Linux server.

To my mind, that's a good move, though there will, no doubt, be a plethora of quirks.

Remember, there could be a delay in any DNS changes for those in more far-flung lands.

What else is there to say, except, Tally-Ho!   ~^  :IAJG:    Oh, and Good Luck!

See you on the other side....

4 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

Update:

We now have a Linux server. I discussed our move with A2 engineers and with Invision. All we need to do is schedule the migration and go all in...

Hold on to your butts!

Oh Boy, here we go again!!! bananas.gif

• Haha 1

On 10/10/2019 at 7:26 PM, Nahash5150 said:

Update:

We now have a Linux server. I discussed our move with A2 engineers and with Invision. All we need to do is schedule the migration and go all in...

Hold on to your butts!

“Hold onto your wigs and car keys, no standing until ride has come to a complete stop!”  From the message as you get on the Coney Island Cyclone!

Okay - I still have access to the old server while the new server is up and running. Posting may resume, but please don't post anything that is important to you JUST IN CASE.

I'm going to delay changing over till Monday. I'll take a backup Monday morning then shut down the site.

Thanks for your patience!

• Thank You 7
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers

Good luck, and don't worry about delays - when it finally is a good day, go for broke, but only when.  

Thanks in advance for all the efforts to do the changeover.

Can I borrow your master pause button for the migration when you are done?  I have a couple I'd like to pause ... indefinitely.   ?

• Thank You 1

2 hours ago, Nahash5150 said:

Migration is complete. Now need to fix the bugs and bring us back to norm.

Looks good, Greg.....I've been poking around in the dark corners and everything looks fine so far..... =D=

• Thank You 2

Thanks for the migration to a STABLE OS!  I appreciate your hard work in making this site happen........grin

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Stickers