New Pre-amp/HDMI Distro recommendations

PhilDent

Carversite,

I was hoping to cull the knowledge of the members here and ask for recommendations for the next step in my system.

Attached is a picture of my current system.  I am wanting to replace the Yamaha receiver with something more suited to the tasks that I need it for.  Since, as you can see, the Carver amps are taking care of the amplification, I don't need a receiver that has the ability to amplify (and the Yamaha's pre-outs seem very weak).  So, as I see it, my needs are pre-amplification to the amps, and distribution of HDMI signals.  I need something that outputs at least 2 HDMI signals so I can watch TV and have a playlist going on the smaller screen.  Also, although I have never actually tuned in an am/fm signal, it might be helpful to have that feature.  And it goes without saying that it should be wifey friendly to operate, although I have the system setup so that she doesn't have to mess with my setup if she just wants to watch TV.  

I'm looking forward to your thoughts pointing me in the right direction.  As of yet, I haven't found anything that quite seems to fit the bill.

current system.jpg

I have a Marantz AV7704 and am happy with it. I am not sure on the separate HDMI outs though. 

Why not just add a HTPC to the mix? I am typing this on mine. One output goes to a monitor next to the couch, other goes to Marantz.  

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, KPT said:

I have a Marantz AV7704 and am happy with it.

I'll take a look at it.  I know LT has highly recommended their receivers, I just want to find something that fits my needs.

1 hour ago, KPT said:

Why not just add a HTPC to the mix?

I don't know what that is.

Also, I forgot to mention that one of the most used features on the Yamaha receiver is the USB stick that allows me to remotely select songs.

On another note, I just replaced the A-400x for the rears to the TFM-45 and now there is a an annoying buzz. ?

The Marantz is a great option. If it doesn’t have to be the current models the AV8802a or 77xx are great too. That 7704 mentioned has all the features you’re looking for too. They also have the USB option you are looking for.

• Thank You 1

I use a YAMAHA RX-V2700 it has hdmi plus the option for the IPOD dock which I since converted to bluetooth.

Here is a thread from 2014 and other members chiming in that they had also used the 2700 as the brains of their systems.

Edited by CT-Seven
  • Thank You 1

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:32 AM, loner_t said:

Are there any budgeting guidelines?

Of course.  The minister of sex and finance is ever vigilant. ?

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:32 AM, loner_t said:

There are similar offerings from Denon, Emotiva, Yamaha, Onkyo

I checked out the Emotiva site and the MC-700 looks promising, yet it doesn't have the USB connectivity that I've become accustomed to.  The Marantz 8802a looks awesome, but I don't want to pay for a lot of amplification and features that I will not use. I'd rather use that money to buy more Carver amps.  ?   I'll keep looking around.

• Haha 1

On 10/25/2019 at 7:18 PM, CT-Seven said:

I use a YAMAHA RX-V2700 it has hdmi plus the option for the IPOD dock which I since converted to bluetooth.

No HDMI on this receiver, so it won't fit the bill for me. Thanks for responding.

PhilDent

21 hours ago, loner_t said:

Outlaw Audio - Model 976 7.2 HDMI AV Surround Processor is also a nice processor. You can audition it for a bit. You can also read a Review .

@loner_t thanks for this link.

I'm in the same boat as PhilDent so following this thread to see where it leads. Im going to look into the Outlaw in more detail.

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for ... need to review the detail.

I got pretty excited about the Outlaw and reviewed it in some detail (I read the manual).

I don't know why in 2020 a unit would not have the ability to change the source name that ends up being displayed?

The sources are defined as "cable/sat, disc, game, media, server, and aux".  I don't have any of those (maybe DISC?, maybe media?)

My Yamaha AV receiver is 10 years old and allows the names to be changed ... "Apple TV, Blu-ray, Roku, Firestick" are easily understandable.

This simple oversight would be a non-starter for me, disappointing because the unit looks pretty good otherwise.

2 hours ago, jeffs said:

I don't know why in 2020 a unit would not have the ability to change the source name that ends up being displayed?

The sources are defined as "cable/sat, disc, game, media, server, and aux".  I don't have any of those (maybe DISC?, maybe media?)

My Yamaha AV receiver is 10 years old and allows the names to be changed ... "Apple TV, Blu-ray, Roku, Firestick" are easily understandable.

That is one of the reasons I like my Yamaha receiver RX-A830 and my previous Yamaha receivers.  I like changing the names to tell me what my source is.....Sony VHS, Sony Beta, Sony 8mm.........grin 

• Thank You 1

1 hour ago, Dadvw said:

I like changing the names to tell me what my source is.....Sony VHS, Sony Beta, Sony 8mm.........grin 

My Yamaha appears to be dying.  Clicks and pops when it changes sources, noisy outputs when there is no source content. I need to check the cabling tonight, hopefully there is just a loose connection, otherwise it's days are numbered. 

The emotiva mc-700 has less features than the Outlaw, but it's $200 less and it looks to be able to change the displayed name.

I had a chat with a guy from Outlaw and basically told him this issue would prevent me from spending $1K with his company .... big oversight.

In the end, Outlaw does not seem to be what they say they are ........ I believe their unit is just a re-branded Chinese unit, not their own design .....

From their site: "Outlaw designs and manufactures its own brand of high performance audio/video components"

Look at the Fortex DE4348 or the Sonodyne DE4348 next to the Outlaw 976 ....... they all look the same to me ... hmmmm.....

I'm probably just going to buy another Yammy when my current unit becomes unbearable.

• Thank You 1

Jeffs,

Thanks for the research and input.  I found myself going down the bunny hole as well.  My initial thinking was that I should replace my receiver since I have no need for amplification and I've had the impression that the Yamaha pre-outs signal was not strong enough.  It made sense to me that I would rather have a unit that focused on the pre outs for 5.1 music and had the HDMI capability that I was looking for.  However, I'm finding that most of the separates have a ton of features that I don't need and cost a lot more than I want to spend. 

I agree that the Outlaw looks suspect.  I'd prefer to spend money with a domestic company like Emotiva, but I haven't quite found anything that fits my needs.

• Thank You 2

3 minutes ago, PhilDent said:

However, I'm finding that most of the separates have a ton of features that I don't need and cost a lot more than I want to spend. 

Yup - I have not used the Yamaha amps in years so I figured a pre-amp processor would be the ticket as I'd like to get more current on HDMI capabilities. I was shocked by the cost of these units.

My Yamaha preamp output levels are somewhat lower than other units I've used in the past, but are sufficient for my needs.

14 hours ago, loner_t said:

For example Accessories4Less sometimes has good pricing on Processors. 

This is where I bought my last receiver and it has performed flawlessly.  I was checking out their site for a replacement, but it seems that all of their pre/processors are of the 11.2 variety and over 1K - way more than I need or want to pay.

Phil - I'm going to evaluate my current receiver over the next few days to see if I can get it to behave. If not, I'm going to kick it to the curb.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to buy a unit with output amps. The processor/pres are just too expensive. Manufacturers clearly want us to buy a unit with amps, so I'm not going to fight it. My 5.1 speaker setup isn't expanding any time soon, so anything more than 7.2 is way in my future (I would need a new house even to get to 7 speakers).

The Denon AVRX3500H at $500-600 seems to cover my needs and is on my short list if I have to buy something soon. I have no experience with this unit so if anyone does, it would be nice to hear about it.

36 minutes ago, jeffs said:

I've come to the conclusion that I'm going to have to buy a unit with output amps. The processor/pres are just too expensive.

Sadly I am coming to that same conclusion. 

I bought this budget receiver from accessories4less for~$300 and have not been disappointed by its performance. 

Yammy rx.jpg

I do find it ironic that I have so little invested in the "brains" of the system and so much invested in Carver amplification.

• Thank You 3

On 10/30/2019 at 4:40 PM, jeffs said:

My Yamaha preamp output levels are somewhat lower than other units I've used in the past, but are sufficient for my needs.

Have you tried going into the ONSCREEN menu? Like the one you see on your TV? If I remember correctly in mines I could go in and change a SLEW of things on the fly using the onscreen menu

• 2 years later...

Bumping an old thread here- I never did pull the trigger on replacing my old Yammy receiver, but I am very tempted by this Emotiva processor.

https://emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc-1

Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on this unit. Also, IIRC didn't Bob Carver have some affiliation with Emotiva?