Lance

Looking for advice of Speakers

I am new to site and am looking for advice on setting up my system . I have a m500t amp and a C1 pre amp and am thinking of buying a Pro-ject T1 turntable and a pair of Magnepan LSR speakers. Any thoughts on this set up? Thanks

• Thank You 3

Welcome to the site. 

The 500t/C1 is a great foundation for your system. The magnepan impedance dips to 3Ω.  That, and an 86db sensitivity might present a challenge to the 500t.  At moderate listening levels, you should be fine.  At loud listening levels, the amp will run hot, and you may not be able to “fill the room” without incurring thermal shutdown. 

Let  us know how it comes together:-)

• Thank You 2

Hello Lance, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Like Daddyjt said,  the C-1/M500t is a great combination, and a great foundation. I've no experience with Magnepan speakers, but I do have a pair of Infinity RS-IIIbs that are 4 ohm nominal, and I think they dip lower than that at some frequencies. If I run them loud on my M500t, I can warm up a cold room :D. They like a modded M1.0t much better.

Please consider uploading some pics of your gear in the Members Systems area. We all like pics of all kinds of audio gear.

In the meantime, kick your shoes off, turn up the music, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif

• Thank You 1

I own a set of LRS, but push them with my TFM-45 without issue at any volume.  Although most of my listening is not loud. 

I am running a Jl sub and they sound wonderful.  I've had them about a month and they are breaking in nicely and seem to be happy with the space I've provided them on the rear wall.

If I recall it was about a 4 month wait on the LRS

I currently have these in addition to Klipsch rp600m pushed by the Carver CF18 tube amp.  The efficiency of the Klispch with the CF18 will drown out the LRS low efficiency when both sets are on which I knew would be the case.  The 600 are used to fill the space (and small house) where as the LRS are for enjoyable, on the love seat listening.

I can push the LRS with the CF18 amp but they are much happier with the power of the 45.

Paul

Welcome to the site, @Lance. Glad you found us.  Lots of good info here and excellent friends to keep in touch with on TheCarverSite.com.

You ask a good question - and I'm interested in the answer too …, just "What are the best speakers to run with an M500t, in the brain-trust experience here?"  There are a lot of M500 and M500t owners here.  Someone will pony up their secret best configuration.  Me personally, I have my M500t driving a pair of EPI M1000 towers..., these are pretty rare and hard to find.  But I like them, so I searched until I found them and bingo, for me.

Start with recommendations of what others have used and found good combinations.  There will be the specifications and the various measurable technical factors …, but in the end, use speakers that work best for your listening which will be based on:

1. Typical volume levels you listen to your music.

2. Your room and environment factors (size/volume of room, reflections, listening position, etc.).

3. The type/genre of music you listen to most.

When you have it dialed in for your personal preference - those will be the speakers that are "best" for you.  OCCD (Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder) is a journey, not a destination.  You'll likely swap in and out components, sources, and speakers over time as many here do. 

Oh, and that turntable is a good one - You will like it.  Some here have or have had, that model.  But, don't forget that the cartridge is yet another component that you can change and make big differences in your system.

Good luck on your journey - and Welcome to the Jungle!

Welcome to the Jungle.gif

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Wow thanks for all the responses gives me something to think about I am headed into the big city next week to drop off my C1 and m500t to get cleaned up and refurbished, not sure if I will have the MKII modification done but am thinking about it. At the same time I will be listening to some turntables and speakers and will let you know what I come up with. Any and all comments are appreciated as I am learning as I go. Thanks again  

• Thank You 1

The Mk II mod will improve the amp’s ability to drive speakers with lower impedance. The amp is still limited though. If you like it’s sound, like many of us here, I would recommend the upgrade. If your big city tech is good he can probably do the upgrade using info on this site. You can also have a tech here do it. Good luck with your venture. 

Anyone have any experience with KEF Q7 towers with the m500t? I am looking at a used pair.

Welcome.jpg

Welcome @Lance - definitely a nice system with incredible potential.

I can't offer any first hand input, but as others have noted the M500T is apparently not overly happy driving low impedance speakers like Maggies, and some of Infinities.  That's kind of the guiding idea for what is not ideal (caveat - it might work really well for you, for some such speakers).  It's likely going to work magic on any good speakers with a more stable impedance load.

I have to admit that I've been halfway pondering Maggies as a someday upgrade (I do have a modded M1.0T), so this has been a useful thread for me, so thank you.  I just have to come up with a foolproof way to protect them from my pride of demonic pygmy house lions, who will see them as the world's most perfect scratching posts.

Bang for the buck, the Project T1 is going to be hard to beat - nice choice.  You will need to become very very wealthy to be ale to afford anything appreciably better.  The C1 will let you choose or try just about any cartridge out there.  I don't know where you are in the world of vinyl (just starting, or having a room full of LPs), but do consider a decent record cleaning system to go along with it.  You don't need it day one, but it will help preserve whatever vinyl you have or get.  There was a thread on them, here, recently, with lots of good info.

Regardless, remember, enjoy the music!

• Thank You 1

I am on Vancouver Island in British Columbia Canada, and its a bit isolated for good stereo equipment. I bought the C1 and m500t new in the 80's and ran Magnepan MGII's and at the time I thought the sound was great. I but I also had a cat and unfortunately she thought one of the speakers was a scratching post. That was the end of that also my wife was not all that impressed with the size. Since then the C1 and m500t have been stored. Time to get them back in service I think.

I am headed into Vancouver next week end to get my c1 and m500t checked out and possibly get the MKII mod done and the same time I will be listening to some speakers. Would like to keep the price under $1000.00. 

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3

Nice to have another fellow Canadian on the group.  While I'm far to the East of you, you are not the only one here, on Vancouver Island.

Yes the Maggie's ave a very low WAF rating, and a very high scratching post rating.

Depending on what is needed with your gear, and who does the work, $1k should cover things.

There are certainly a wealth of audio shops, and people selling gear in B.C., though I admit, most are in the Vancouver area.  It's a trek, but not a massive one to get there.

Good luck with your update endeavour!

• Thank You 3

1 hour ago, Lance said:

I am in Campbell River 

Very Cool! I'm in Campbell river usually at least once/week for business. Do you have any consideration for WAF, room size etc. What kind of music do you enjoy? Do you plan to use a subwoofer? Remember that speakers are a journey not a destination! lol

• Thank You 1

On 11/2/2019 at 7:36 AM, Lance said:

I am headed into Vancouver next week end to get my c1 and m500t checked out and possibly get the MKII mod done and the same time I will be listening to some speakers. Would like to keep the price under $1000.00. 

There is a tech in Cumberland that does good work and appreciates Carver gear, but not a big fan of modifying original equipment. I had him BillD my C-1 (he said it was so labour intensive that he would never do it again! lol). He followed the instructions here on the site. Not sure if it qualifies for the Billd badge. Maybe I'll have to put up some nudies of the inside and ask the experts here to weigh in on whether his work is worthy or not.

My plan is to take over one of the bedrooms down stairs its 12 by 14. Music will be mostly 70 rock with some jazz thrown in. I believe I will be looking at a sub-woofer in the future but one thing at a time want to get something set up then I can add/replace as I see the need.

Tried out some Paradigm Prestige 75f in Parksville they were nice but expensive. I am looking at some used Maggie's 1.6 on Sat  and will be visiting Lutus Land as well. I realize by running the Maggie's with my m500t I will probably not get the most out of them so I will be on the look out for a new amp if I buy them. Wife will not be happy as well so we will see.

• That Rocks 1