Lance

Looking for advice of Speakers

I am also in search of a winning preamp/amp/speaker/room combination.  After, a great night of auditioning speakers from the impressive collection of @Daddyjt in November, I was so impressed by the performance of a pair of NHT 2.5i's that I immediately bought a pair.  Powered by a McCormack DNA-225 amp, they hung with the big boys (kappa 9's, Polk SDA'S, etc); they looked cool, and were within my budget.  At home, I've been powering them with two M500tmkii's in power steering mode. However, I've been unimpressed with their sound, which has frustrated me and motivated me to figure out why.  I thought maybe the culprit was my Yamaha receiver with its weak pre-outs or its room correction software. I started swapping out components. I swapped out the Yamaha with a BiillD C-1. I swapped out the M500ts and used a TFM-45 for amplification, but never had that "aha" moment until now...

Due to fortunate circumstances, and @Daddyjt's enabling again, I found myself in possession of a pair of Silver Nine T's to throw into the mix. I really wasn't expecting much, but I was wrong. I'm loving the Silver Nine T's and once again Mark has me scouring Craigslist/Offer up, etc. to find a pair.  The OCCD journey continues.Message_1581703829210_copy_1862x1048.thumb.jpg.ecb83e3394926cdf35a676f66280f1dd.jpg

1385560162_20200215_0957262_copy_1862x1048.thumb.jpg.711ba3b991999b12e7367605d7dbc4ae.jpg

• That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

Stickers

1 hour ago, PhilDent said:

I am also in search of a winning preamp/amp/speaker/room combination.  After, a great night of auditioning speakers from the impressive collection of @Daddyjt in November, I was so impressed by the performance of a pair of NHT 2.5i's that I immediately bought a pair.  Powered by a McCormack DNA-225 amp, they hung with the big boys (kappa 9's, Polk SDA'S, etc); they looked cool, and were within my budget.  At home, I've been powering them with two M500tmkii's in power steering mode. However, I've been unimpressed with their sound, which has frustrated me and motivated me to figure out why.  I thought maybe the culprit was my Yamaha receiver with its weak pre-outs or its room correction software. I started swapping out components. I swapped out the Yamaha with a BiillD C-1. I swapped out the M500ts and used a TFM-45 for amplification, but never had that "aha" moment until now...

Due to fortunate circumstances, and @Daddyjt's enabling again, I found myself in possession of a pair of Silver Nine T's to throw into the mix. I really wasn't expecting much, but I was wrong. I'm loving the Silver Nine T's and once again Mark has me scouring Craigslist/Offer up, etc. to find a pair.  The OCCD journey continues.Message_1581703829210_copy_1862x1048.thumb.jpg.ecb83e3394926cdf35a676f66280f1dd.jpg

1385560162_20200215_0957262_copy_1862x1048.thumb.jpg.711ba3b991999b12e7367605d7dbc4ae.jpg

Talk about driving a thumb-tack with a sledge hammer.... I look forward to hearing them in the near future:-)

• Haha 5

Stickers

I'm not a tech with the skills to repair, so I'd have to rely on someone else. Also, who knows what mystery lurks inside those amps... I think I need a more plug and play solution. Thanks for the heads up though.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

15 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

I see those Silver 7t with bases in Bakersfield are gone... did you pull the trigger on the road trip? 😉

Nope. I didn't know I wanted them then. 😁

• Thank You 2

Stickers

37 minutes ago, DrummerJuice said:

These seem like they are too good to be true!

Agree.  For that money - why not try them out.

A quick search reveals NO information on that product (model 11)??

I have a pair of 2.5i, purchased after reading comments by phildent and daddyjt.

I really like them a lot. The materials are similar to what you're looking at. The piano finish is interesting, more of a veneer than a paint. easy to buff  with micro cloth without scratching.

• Thank You 2

Stickers

Lance,

What do you think of the LRS speakers?

I have two sets of Magnepans now, an SMGa and MG-12/qr. 

I have a buddy that wants one of my Dennon amps, and I might pick up a set of MMGs in partial trade. Obviously, I like Maggies - alot.

I've been eyeing the Little Ribbon Speaker.  I have not heard a set yet but the reviews I've read are all real positive. I also think they're reasonably priced. I'd be very interested to hear the opinion from someone that owns a set.

Thanks,

Will

• Thank You 2

7 hours ago, jeffs said:

Agree.  For that money - why not try them out.

A quick search reveals NO information on that product (model 11)??

I have a pair of 2.5i, purchased after reading comments by phildent and daddyjt.

I really like them a lot. The materials are similar to what you're looking at. The piano finish is interesting, more of a veneer than a paint. easy to buff  with micro cloth without scratching.

I believe that they are the Model 2. I'm a little concerned about the foam surrounds.

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, DrummerJuice said:

Does anyone have experience with NHT? These seem like they are too good to be true!

https://nanaimo.craigslist.org/ele/d/nanaimo-nht-model-11-tower-speakers/7090137241.html

Those are the model 2,  BUT the  mids (the top 6.5” drivers) are not stock - see photo below for stock look. I would not entertain these - indeed, too good to be true:-(

0B578803-3CB8-4D90-B554-E30116E4A2E0.jpeg.b0ebb08a4d94fd75be7ff929d05f54b0.jpeg

Edited by Daddyjt
  • That Rocks 2

Stickers

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Daddyjt said:

Those are the 2.1 model, BUT the tweeters and mids (the top 6.5” drivers) are not stock - see photo below for stock look. I would not entertain these - indeed, too good to be true:-(

Thanks Mark, I was hoping you would chime in! :D $65 sounded way too good to be true.

Edited by DrummerJuice
  • Thank You 1

Will I have the 1.6's I also owned the MGII back in the 80's I ran those with the Carver m500t's thought they sounded good but have the Riemer amp running the 1.6's and really like the combination will be looking to upgrade to tubes at some point. 

• Thank You 1

I have not heard the LRS speakers my understanding is they are back ordered and tough to get. Where I live its tough to demo speakers not much Hi end audio around here. 

• Thank You 1

Posted (edited)

I haven't heard the LRS (or any other Maggies, for that matter), but what I've read, they apparentlt want an amp with substantial reserves of current, otherwise, they can supposedly sound a bit thi and compressed.

Carver amps should have no problem driving them, happily, though.  😉

Edited by Brian_at_HHH
fixed autocorrect's "fix"

Stickers

14 hours ago, Will Meyer said:

Lance,

What do you think of the LRS speakers?

I have two sets of Magnepans now, an SMGa and MG-12/qr. 

I have a buddy that wants one of my Dennon amps, and I might pick up a set of MMGs in partial trade. Obviously, I like Maggies - alot.

I've been eyeing the Little Ribbon Speaker.  I have not heard a set yet but the reviews I've read are all real positive. I also think they're reasonably priced. I'd be very interested to hear the opinion from someone that owns a set.

Thanks,

Will

I have a pair of LRS's.  They need a sub and some fairly serious power, but sound great.  I run them with an M-1.0t mk II.  I tried them with the CF275 and there just wasn't much there.  Stay over about 200 honest watts/channel and they are great.  Especially for the price.  Oh, and I use a Sunfire TS EQ sub with them.

• Thank You 2

Thanks!  

I’ve always been of the opinion that Maggie’s benefit working with a subwoofer. 

I also agree that they benefit by having an amp with some good overhead. In the reading I’ve done seems to indicate that the LRSs need more amp than other Maggie’s of similar size. 

• Thank You 1

Will

I agree with adding a couple of subwoofer's they will be in the budget for sometime this year, if I can convince my wife that it really is important. My plan is to go with two sub's I have seen video's from PS Audio Paul and he highly recommends two, once again depending on cost and approval. The Reimer amp that I am using has about 200w a side not 100% sure as it was built by a guy in Naniamo  and  is Class A/B  it was used for live music and its impossible to get the specs on it. But it sounds really good to me.  It wieghs a ton and I have not pushed it any where near full volume. 

Good luck with the LSR' if you get them, from what I have read they are great value and sound.  

Posted (edited)

I haven't heard them, but I admit to being tempted a few times that I've seen some good deals on them.  I suspect they would not be an improvement over what I currently have (Mission M74's), so I've passed, for now.

Edited by Brian_at_HHH
typo
  • Thank You 1

Stickers

I auditioned some Focal Aria 926s before I bought my Martin Logans. They sounded phenomenal, but the local shop wouldn't budge from $5K (included a $1K Focal sub), and then I found my Martin Logans at Best Buy, store demos, marked down from $2500 - $1500, and I like them more than I did the Focals.

Focal makes drivers that are used in many other speakers (according to the salesman at the shop where I auditioned them).

• That Rocks 2

Stickers

2 minutes ago, kve777 said:

Give some Tekton's a listen. Love my Pendragon's.

I keep wandering over to their site, and virtually drool over them.  Hearing the way you talk about them keeps them very close to the top of my want list.:)

• That Rocks 1

Stickers