Daddyjt

If you could, would you?

If you could, would you?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. If you could turn back time, and stop the development of the smartphone, would you?

• Yes
    • No

I’ve been pondering this one for a while. I understand that there are many benefits to the smartphone in everyday life. Many. That said, I am finding it difficult to offset the corrosive effect of the smart phone on (primarily) the youth. From time wasted on games and social media, to online bullying, to distracted walking/driving, and all but eliminating actual human interaction. How often have you encountered the scene below (or one very similar)?  

I can imagine what would happen if all smartphones stopped working - no one would know a phone number (and there are no longer phone books!), people couldn’t read a map, people would actually have to GO SEE their friends and loved ones, etc...

I personally think we were just fine with the old “flip-phones” - perfectly adequate for emergency calls.

What do you think?

231B43E8-6626-4133-9855-1A04475B386D.jpeg

• That Rocks 1

I'm ambivalent on this. My phone is a great tool for bill payment, money management, weather alerts, and even making calls, but I would certainly switch off  facebook, twitter, instagram, and even the old myspace if I could.

30 minutes ago, oldtexasdog said:

we figure they are all having a conversation via text with each other

A friend of mine caught his daughters sending text messages to each other from one end of a sofa to the other. That was when text messages were still a dime apiece, each way.

My work life revolves around communications: work requests come to me via text that include links to the phone number to call the customer. I used to have a Blackberry and loved it. Can’t imagine doing field service work without it. The iPhone serves many purposes in my work, pics of data tags, etc instead of writing notes. Very handy.

But I prefer to sit in front of the computer to complete service docs, etc. my old eyes prefer the big screen.

As I see it, the problem is not in the technology but how it being used. 

• Thank You 1

On 11/3/2019 at 6:55 PM, xavionics said:

….As I see it, the problem is not in the technology but how it being used. 

I agree; maybe some sort of licensing schema to show how to use the tech responsibly.....

• Thank You 1

On 11/4/2019 at 7:55 AM, xavionics said:

My work life revolves around communications: work requests come to me via text that include links to the phone number to call the customer. I used to have a Blackberry and loved it. Can’t imagine doing field service work without it. The iPhone serves many purposes in my work, pics of data tags, etc instead of writing notes. Very handy.

Same here sir. Daily work seem to go around like this plus the in-house repairs. Only that we have three clerks who handles each area and type of job. Smartphones provide comms to the farthest provinces and staff who are at the stores/service centers where computer is not available.

But I prefer to sit in front of the computer to complete service docs, etc. my old eyes prefer the big screen.

Same here again 

As I see it, the problem is not in the technology but how it being used. 

Today important papers are sent thru viber, messenger et al, and used as valid documents as attachments. Of course there are lots of grey area here.  

I find my smartphone as an upgrade to my WALKMAN.  So sad that I lost my first pair of balanced armatures... I am a commuter, daily from house to work and again.  :D   

Parents play a very big role in the training and upbringing of their children.  My wife and I raised our kids differently from the common kids, first it was hard explaining to them why, we are seeing the results today.. that include smartphone usePeace-Man.jpg.adaa95b1bf9f15f1ace2c52673a8bbe6.jpg

Inside the walls of "advertisers" the challenge has always been where to spend money that will garner the most "attention."  That is, the attention of the largest target audience.  so, 15+ years ago, anyone trying to reach a target audience had to divide up their advertising budget between streams of advertising that were audio (radio, etc.), visual (tv, movies), location-centric (billboards, signs), news-related (stories, PR, the news, etc.) … and so on.

With the convergence of "everything" and all media (and the mediums now called "platforms" like Twitter and Facebook, that media is received) into one device, the smart phone..., comes great potential, and great potential for harm.  What is true compared to 15 years ago is that the "ability to creep into lives and arrest attention" from individuals, has never been greater.  Human Nature for most, can't put down the methods that are used..., they (we) get sucked into scrolling to the next "story" even if it has no value.  And, we get sucked into believing that all stories are true.

The end of this story has not been written.  It could go in a number of positive or negative directions...

Marshall McLuhan's research on media theory can be connected to what we are seeing now.

MediumMassage.jpg

(...just an opinion, ignore it if it has no value.)

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 3

Stickers

Anything that can be used can also be abused (Eric Partridge). The 'use'r determines which it should be. The smartphone has a significant utility value, but monetization of such value still escapes the purveyors of such technologies. Social media is the best and worst 'ab'use of such a device. 

One example for consideration is e911. Most location-based services are an offshoot of such a mandate. Can such location services be abused? Absolutely. One vendor clearly articulates the delineation, and many others have followed suit to various degrees. 

Medicinal use of Marijuana vs recreational use also shows us the same dichotomy. 

As a parent of two young men, my primary goal for providing smartphones to them, as they live away from me was to keep the fabric of a family together and provide some sense of security. They were explicitly asked to provide permission to track their location, with instructions on how to turn it off, in case they did not feel comfortable under certain circumstances, no questions asked. The pros/cons of social media were explained. We have some interesting discussions on such topics. 

To a very large extent, CS also provides some of the same sense of family and community. The predominant access that I have is via a smartphone, albeit sporadic, due to work commitments.

Edited by loner_t
  • Thank You 3

Stickers

9 hours ago, loner_t said:

[…]

As a parent of two young men, my primary goal for providing smartphones to them, as they live away from me was to keep the fabric of a family together and provide some sense of security. They were explicitly asked to provide permission to track their location, with instructions on how to turn it off, in case they did not feel comfortable under certain circumstances, no questions asked. The pros/cons of social media were explained. We have some interesting discussions on such topics. 

[…]

Teaching this kind of responsibility to our "next generation" be it via parent- or other education-based approaches one of the major breakdowns making the current dissonance / confusion exist.

@loner_t, you describe specifically how we did the same thing when our kids were in 6th grade, and we wanted the value that a smart phone could give us in all those ways.  We had one issue, and when we talked to the other kid's parents, their response was "thank God, you are like us."  They too were teaching their kids respect and responsibility on said medium(s) - and, they too were concerned that we might be like most other parents they observed, "unconcerned."

Unfortunately, I fear, many parents don't apply this approach when enabling their latch-key or street-wise kids with technology.  Hence, the potential exists for things to get way out of whack, very fast.

As I get old, I find that for me, I just have a finite amount of time on this planet, and a long list of things I want to achieve.  I know that if I (over-)do FB or Twitter, or ??, I'll rapidly lose precious time I could apply to those things I want to do, and that will result in a lot of disappointment (for me) in the level of impact I might make in other's lives around me while I'm still on this earth.

• Thank You 4

Stickers

On 11/7/2019 at 6:14 AM, AndrewJohn said:

It could go in a number of positive or negative directions...

Or perhaps positive AND negative directions simultaneously.  😔

• Thank You 1