weitrhino

WTB: Honeycomb Woofer

The same ones with damage are listed on eBay with the same stupid high prices.

I checked Dynavox but the business is offline till next month due to a death. They must be a small family operation.

• Thank You 1

@weitrhino, Dynavox no longer stocks the honeycomb, there is a replacement with paper cones, similar to the newer woofers with specs matching the honeycombs.

Last I looked they were back ordered!

Edited by BarryG
  • Thank You 1

Beware that the paper cone replacements from DynaVox have had some report that the diameter is slightly different, and the screw-holes to mount them may not line-up perfectly.  

Not a deal breaker, but worth noting as it affects your install.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

6 hours ago, AndrewJohn said:

Beware that the paper cone replacements from DynaVox have had some report that the diameter is slightly different, and the screw-holes to mount them may not line-up perfectly.  

Not a deal breaker, but worth noting as it affects your install.

Thanks, I was previously aware of this issue. Somewhere back in time I recall a photo of one installed using little brackets on each mounting screw - not ideal. At any rate, I've located a replacement and it should arrive next week.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

Finally got my replacement honeycomb woofer installed and everything is back to normal. It came shipped with form-fitting styrofoam in the perfectly sized box which is where the suspect woofer now resides. What are the chances of a service repairing this driver? Would it be worth it? I hate to just throw it out because it looks perfect.

• That Rocks 3

Chances are good at repairing it at a place like simply speakers. Why not have it ready the next time you have an issue?

• That Rocks 2

22 hours ago, PMAT said:

Chances are good at repairing it at a place like simply speakers. Why not have it ready the next time you have an issue?

That's exactly my thought, I just lacked a resource and wondered about the general cost.

Edited by weitrhino
  • Thank You 1

23 hours ago, weitrhino said:

What are the chances of a service repairing this driver? Would it be worth it?

Chances vary depending on what is actually wrong with it.  I've replaced foam surrounds on speaker drivers (no big deal, a junior-high kid could do it.)  I also re-centered a voice coil/pole piece/magnet assembly on a 6.5" Polk mid-woofer.  A junior-high kid is probably not going to do that; but a reasonable adult with "mechanical aptitude" can.

In short, the "fix" depends on the "problem"; and you haven't said what's wrong with yours.

It would "probably" be "worth it" if you value original drivers more than repops.

• Thank You 1

14 hours ago, PMAT said:

Barking is usually a surround issue at larger excursions. 

If it is, I sure can't see it. My first sense was a voice coil issue rather than surround, but I'm no expert.

On 11/29/2019 at 6:05 PM, PMAT said:

Last I checked Simply Speakers is no longer doing repairs. I purchased some reconing kits for my Altecs last year and they told me that they were now only selling recone kits and such....no more labor or service being done there.

Barking can sometimes be caused by a warped frame or misaligned voice coil especially if it's just at the bottom of the coil where you would only experience the noise during long excursions.

On 11/30/2019 at 7:04 PM, weitrhino said:

Fair enough. The driver began 'barking' and moderately high volumes. No surround or spider issues are apparent, in fact there's no recognizable defect other than performance.

One of my first attempts to replace the surrounds in a speaker resulted in a driver the barked.  Voice coil was hitting the magnet under high excursion.  Removed the surround and replaced it again, this time being obsessive about alignment.  All was well after that.