Hello from Ireland

Hi all, my name is Peter

New to the forum and to Carver audio equipment.

First time posting on an audio forum.

I found a used and abused TFM-35 (made in Japan) this summer.

Did a partial recap (PS), some diodes and resisters replaced, new VU filament bulbs, new Alps Blue pot and aluminum knob. Working like a champ since, it's like a warm graceful accurate and charismatic giant. Cost me €165 all in so far.

A few weeks after the TFM-35 was reborn, my brother saw a C-11 preamp for sale.

Carver gear is super rare in Ireland - how lucky is that!?!

It was eventually acquired, works fine. Sounds pretty amazing to my ears. cost €80

I plan partial BillD modifications for this preamp: Caps, some resistors, transformer, rectifier, pot cleaning/some new ones, remote control for volume.

I came here for the modification details, hope to be able to contribute in some way... seems like a nice community here

Gears for my ears: -

Monitor Audio RX6, Wharfedale Opal 90, Van Damme Blue Cable, Dedicated silent PC with Hi Res Media fed dig-optically to... Cambridge Audio Azur 740c CDP/DAC, Sony PS-T33 with mods, Nagaoka mp11 boron, Sony ST-333L, Arcam A85 integrated with phono mm/mc card, Carver C-11, Carver TFM-35...

Other bits: Sony HMK-808, Revox A77 r2r, Luxman L30... getting a full overhaul.

I put a few photos here, not sure if that works ok.

The box of components on the floor contains some nice new capacitors for both units.

mmmm..... capacitors .....

Happy weekend everyone ☺️

Edited by kaibosher
speling
  • Thank You 6
  • That Rocks 5

• Community Admin

Welcome to the Forum @kaibosher.

You have found a good community here.  Glad you did.

Nice pieces you have picked up.  This is the place to find info on restoring and modding those.

Welcome !!

Hello kaibosher, and welcome to thecarversite.com. We're glad you're hear. ;) There is a lot of information here, much technical know how, and a pretty good bunch of folks that are happy to help.

Nice gear. The C-11 is a great preamp, and you got a great deal on it. The TFM amps are very popular here too. 

Kick your shoes off, turn up the volume, and welcome aboard.

giphy.gif.d2caeed42cb7cdf6011b96919c2e7170.gif

8 hours ago, kaibosher said:

Hi all, my name is Peter

Hey Peter, If you don't mind saying, where in Ireland? The reason I ask is the company I work for will be sending some folks to Ireland to install a system for Wuxi Biologics. I think the installation is in Dundalk, and we also have shops in Fermoy and Cork. I may be visiting your country when the install gets going. It will be a few months though as we're still building the system in our shop. I think the final testing stage is scheduled for March, and then we'll tear it down, and ship it to Ireland.

• That Rocks 1

Welcome to the site Peter! Congrats on your gear and refurb jobs! It’s a nice feeling ( and listening) to refurbing your own gear. There is plenty of information and great techs to help you with refurbing and upgrading it. Enjoy the site.

Welcome.jpg

Welcome Peter!  Nice setup, and at a great bargain, on top!   

There are lots of folks here who can, and will happily help you with the modding (myself excepted - I'd happily help, but you wouldn't be happy with it. :D).  It sounds like you are quite capable when it comes to working on the gear, so yo will find plenty of kindred spirits, among he people, here.  🙂

I the mean time, enjoy the music, and let us know what you listen to.  🎼

Welcome to the site Peter.

Glad you found us and decided to tell us of your refresh of your gear and thanks for the pictures of your system.

You got a nice collection of gear there, bet it sounds as good as it looks, cheers............