Steve Ford's Junk

SteveFord

Initially I wanted to put the CC5 up top and have it angled downwards but I was overruled by she who must be obeyed

Not my call on this one.

P.S.
I'm told by Magnepan that the CC5 wouldn't sound "shouty" at elevated relative levels if I had a processor with bass management.  No such critter on a C1 so you do what you can.

While the cat's away the mice will play.

I set the stuff up the way I initially wanted to and the sound quality is greatly improved.

Even though I didn't make any adjustments it sounds louder, it lost that "shoutyness" and the dispersion is far greater.  The sound now goes from one end of the room to the udder.

20121112103427986.jpg

The photo below shows how the feet on the bottom of the CC5 angles the speaker down towards the listening room.

Those with sharp eyes will notice that the dreaded mother in law is still hanging around.

20121112103801396.jpg

She'll notice tomorrow as I had to stick a note on an amp telling her to turn on the Bryston and then the Hafler under the TV.

It was funny, she kept saying that I looked like the cat that swallowed the canary but she didn't notice the speaker move so I guess I'm safe.

Let us know how long it takes your better half to notice the change and whether she makes you switch it back. eusa_angel.gif

It took my wife nearly 2 weeks to notice when I added a C-16 to the stack in the living room.  Keep her distracted, Steve. Cool

Oh man! For 3 months straight while i was building my system "during the amp swaps" wife kept asking what are all these boxes that keep showing up and going out?  LOL! Thats why my brother wound up with some of my equipment. Wasn't getting it out of the house fast enough along with the old system and speakers. UHHHH what a fricken nightmare. 
 Brick wall Shhh Whistle eusa_liar.gif happy0009.gif

The appropriate response is, "It's in the fridge" and then pull out a can of ReddiWhip.

It'll only set you back about 2 bucks with a coupon.

Think Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass album cover and you've got the idea.

• 4 weeks later...
Life is full of surprises, you can just never tell what's going to happen.
A while back there was a message on my phone from Don at The Listening Room in Towsend, MD asking me to please give him a call as he got some Magnepans in that I might be interested in.
I really want to hear the new MMGs so I call him right back, thinking that he managed to get ahold of a set of the new ones. I'm making plans in my head to drive down to his store on Saturday and am wondering if I need to bring my 20 year old MMGs with me for a comparison when Don answers the phone and says, "How would you like to trade your 3.7s in on a pair of 20.7s?".
Eh?

This was certainly an unexpected development!
Here were my plans for the Winter of 2013:
purchase a Dynaco tube amp and a tube preamp to use with the Mini Maggie System
Upgrade to the new MMGs
Purchase some Sound Anchor stands and upgrade to Kimber 12TCs for the 3.7s
and send some tubes out to Cryoset for their cryogenic treatment.

As you can see, those miniscule brainstorms went out the window and the 20.7s came in the door.
It is not easy to astonish the Mrs. but these actually made her mouth drop open and then she mouthed, "Oh my God!" when she came out to see what we were doing. :lol:
20121209100721465.jpg

Hey Steve:  I see your rack, but dont see a list of what all you've got.  I am very curious, especially since I am also a huge Maggie fan myself and curious what your running yours with.

I have gotten my ears on the MMG's, 3.7's, 3.7QR's but really want to get my ears on some 1.7's as those are honestly probably where I plan to start my Maggie journey (and I have WAF approval to do so so that makes it easier).

Also curious what cables your running.  I just sold off my MIT EXp IC's and SC's and moved to Kimber Kable 8VS internally bi-wired SC's and Kimber Kable Hero IC's for my front 3 (need to get 1 more as I have 4 cables total but only using 3)

Rod guessed what I was up to so I stopped writing him back!
I still have to sell one of his kidneys so if anyone is interested, please PM me.

I'm still just totally floored by the whole thing - it was all so unexpected.
They're still really tight sounding but boy are they going to be tremendous after a few good workouts. 
The junk in the rack:
VTL 300 deLuxe monoblocks on the floor, APC H15 power conditioner, Harman Kardon HD7600II (from MaddMaster) used as a transport to a Yaquin tube buffer (from RodH) w/ tubes from KVE777 run into an art di/o dac, a deHavilland UltraVerve3 preamp, Jolida JD9A phono stage w/ JJ Tesla ECC803s tubes, a Well Tempered square motor turntable w/ an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, a Sherwood S-3000IV tuner, interconnects are all twisted silver made by me and speaker cables are Kimber 8TC. 
I'm going to upgrade to Kimber 12TC when I can swing the bucks.

1.7s are really nice in the right sized room.  If the room is too large they'll get dwarfed (I've tried 'em, Frank Zappa sounded like Squiggy the Dwarf in the living room).  Upstairs it's just perfect.

Bragging rights?  I dunno, those SoundLabs are the size of missle silos!

The junk in the rack:
VTL 300 deLuxe monoblocks on the floor, APC H15 power conditioner, Harman Kardon HD7600II (from MaddMaster) used as a transport to a Yaquin tube buffer (from RodH) w/ tubes from KVE777 run into an art di/o dac, a deHavilland UltraVerve3 preamp, Jolida JD9A phono stage w/ JJ Tesla ECC803s tubes, a Well Tempered square motor turntable w/ an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge, a Sherwood S-3000IV tuner, interconnects are all twisted silver made by me and speaker cables are Kimber 8TC. 
I'm going to upgrade to Kimber 12TC when I can swing the bucks.

Yeah thats a really, really nice system lol.  Any particular reason for not going with Kimber ICs?  I see lots of tubes in the system and I am also hoping to add a tube buffer or tubed pre to my setup eventually.

I was very impressed with Kimber overall.  I contacted them about what cables to get as I coulda gone with 4TC's or 8VS's. They actually recommended the 8VS's for my speakers which was cool as they were cheap enough to be able to get internal bi-wire rather than just regular strands.  Someday I want to try out the 12TC's myself internally bi-wired as the 12VS (which are coming out this year) are IMHO not probably enough of an upgrade to make the cost worth it....

1.7s are really nice in the right sized room.  If the room is too large they'll get dwarfed (I've tried 'em, Frank Zappa sounded like Squiggy the Dwarf in the living room).  Upstairs it's just perfect.

Yeah, I will be augmenting them with a sub regardless.  No matter how big the Maggies they simply lack the bass I like (which is more visceral).  They do have good bass and it does fill up the room (especially as you get bigger) but its just not enough.  The 1.7's are as big as I am going to be able to get as the 3.6's are too wide.  My wife liked the MMG's size wise and sound wise and I know the 1.7's are not too much wider and are just taller.

I made my own interconnects as I ended up getting 250 foot of teflon coated silver for a dollar per foot or something like that. 

The 20.7s do NOT need a sub!

Gotcha, makes sense.  I got my Hero's for a considerably low price and thankfully with proof they were purchased from an authorized dealer and were not Chinese knockoff's....

I will say I am sure the 20.7's may not need a sub, but given my space and price constraints I doubt they are in my budget.  That and considering the 3.6QR's still didnt have enough punch for me I doubt the 1.7's will.

I would love to get my ears on a set though

The .7 series have more bass and midrange output than the .6 models did but the 1.7s go down to around 40hz and that's it.

I use a small-ish NHT sub with the 1.7s for a little reinforcement but it doesn't do a whole hell of a lot.

The .7 series have more bass and midrange output than the .6 models did but the 1.7s go down to around 40hz and that's it.

I use a small-ish NHT sub with the 1.7s for a little reinforcement but it doesn't do a whole hell of a lot.

Good to know.  I figured a smallish sub too for the lower down stuff from like maybe 60 or so.  Any thoughts on the min room size for 1.7's?  I know they need some decent spacing from the walls and probably more than the MMG's.  I may end up with MMG's as well with a small sub due mostly to my small room size.....and honestly I think my current room is too small for them anyway (10x11)

That's a tough one - they're coming out with the new MMGs in January and mate those up with a small REL sub and you'd have a great combination.
Where I have my 1.7s the 10' width is about right but you'd really be doing some nearfield listening to them.  You'd want them about 3 or 4' out from the front wall so that will use up a lot of the available space.
Do you have a local dealer?  He might be able to help you out with a demo when you're ready to purchase.  I'd try the "can I buy these or put down a deposit and if they don't work out, can I cash them back in towards the MMGs and a sub" route.
Maybe they'd have a demo pair you could bum for a day if you ask nicely.
Failing that, maybe a local Maggie owner could be persuaded to drag some speakers over to see what's what.

As for me, next year I'm going to see about making the living room about 6' wider but I'll need to make sure that the upstairs won't come crashing down on me if I remove the right hand wall where the foyer is.

• The topic was unpinned