Steve Ford's Junk

SteveFord

That's a tough one - they're coming out with the new MMGs in January and mate those up with a small REL sub and you'd have a great combination.

Thats interesting to know.  I might wait a bit then to look at em again.  REL is a pretty good sub company from what I read as well.

Where I have my 1.7s the 10' width is about right but you'd really be doing some nearfield listening to them.  You'd want them about 3 or 4' out from the front wall so that will use up a lot of the available space.

Yeah thats kinda the problem I keep having.  I have the space side to side, but not length wise for em.  I also know Maggies need some decent power and some of the models can dip to around 2 ohms at times IIRC.  I might just need to suck it up with the MMG's and a REL sub, but given the room size it honestly might be the equivalent of the bigger Maggies in a bigger room.

Do you have a local dealer?  He might be able to help you out with a demo when you're ready to purchase.  I'd try the "can I buy these or put down a deposit and if they don't work out, can I cash them back in towards the MMGs and a sub" route.
Maybe they'd have a demo pair you could bum for a day if you ask nicely.
Failing that, maybe a local Maggie owner could be persuaded to drag some speakers over to see what's what.

I do have a local dealer, where I heard the 3.7's.  I heard the 3.7QR's from another local company (not an authorized dealer though).  Local fella had the MMG's I heard.

I dont know if the local dealer has a set of 1.7's but I may call and ask.

No, I didn't need to as everything in there is pretty much new (previous owner is one of them there 'lectrical engineers who upgraded everything in sight) and then moved on up the food chain when he got new speakers.

It's a Commie plot to drive us insane, I believe.

Back to the 20.7s:

The women folk are gone today so I can blast some tunes without driving them crazy.
The amount of bass output from these speakers is considerably more than the 3.7s have and it was a bit much.
I anticipate that the bass output will only increase as break in proceeds.

This chart demonstrates a different way to tame too much bass (as opposed to bass traps):
This chart is for the deHavilland UltraVerve 3 when mated up with VTL 300 DeLuxe monoblocks:

Cap          100 hz          50 hz          30 hz
.01 uf          -4 db          -8 db          - 12 db
.022 uf          -1.2 db       -4 db          - 7 db
.33 uf       -.07db          -2 db          -4 db
.47 uf       -.02 db         -1 db          -2 db

This shows the difference from the stock preamp coupling caps which are 1.5 uf.
You can go the opposite way, too, of course.
Calculations courtesy of Kara Chaffee at deHavilland.

I just replaced the .47 caps which worked perfectly with the 3.7s with .33s and it's back to sounding much more like it.
The sound is know consistent from top to bottom without the speakers overwhelming the room with their bass output.
I was pretty sure the .33s would work and I'm happy to say that is the combo.
Maybe the ladies will take in dinner and a movie...

EDIT:
I finally settled on a pair of .33s Russian caps with a pair of .022 AuriCaps to achieve the proper balance.  What a production!

• 2 weeks later...

20121230073419224.jpg
The Chain:
Digital Source
Harman Kardon HD7600II, Art DI/O DAC, Yaquin Tube Buffer
Analog Source
Well Tempered Labs square motor turntable, Ortofon 2M Black, Jolida JD9
Other Sources
Otari B5050-MX reel to reel, Sherwood S3000-III tuner
Signal Processors
Pre Amp
deHavilland UltraVerve3
Power Amp
VTL 300 deLuxe monoblocks
Speakers
Magnepan 20.7
Subwoofer
none
Speaker Cables
Kimber 8TC
Interconnects
Braided silver, Blue Jeans S/PDIF
Power Cables
Supra LoRad
Headphones/Amp
System Rack
Power Conditioning
APC H15
Tuning and Tweaks
Mr. M500-t's risers, Bedini Ultra Clarifier 4, VPI 17 RCM
Other     Components

Maybe next year!
I got them to sound right for the room after a couple of hours of soldering in different caps and they're just astonishingly good sounding.  I've never used that system so much in my entire life.
On another site they've got a thread going on about how to store a gazillion CDs.
I don't know if you guys ever saw this recent CraigsList score: two lazy susan carousel units, each holds around 700-800 CDs.  Four shelving sides per unit.  Here's one of them:
20121230090416328.jpg

Once I got the cat wee smell out of them they worked out really well.
Boy, that lady's house was dirty - ick.  She had her  late husband's McIntosh system there and it was just buried under a layer of grime and cat fur, she must have been going blind or something.
P.S.
The room isn't all that small, it's the speakers are that big!

A carousel is a great way to store a lot of CDs in a small space.
What I don't care for is that all of them are well below eye level.
If your eyes are as bad as mine you wind up on your knees a lot. 
My 6' tall open racks take up more wall space but require less kneeling.

Too true.
And then when you put on weight your gut gets in the way and it's just a whole production. 
The wife took over my shelving area with her television so it's time to strap on the old Gut-B-Gone and give her the old butt crack treatment.
I suffer, everybody suffers!

Beautiful room Steve......I bet they sound wonderful.
Would love to hear them one day....any chance you coming up to the arctic
with them one day?..... Think......didnt think so....Whistle

I relate to all the ailments listed above......
I have tri-focal eyeglasses around somewhere....cant wear them, my depth perception
is crappy with em on.....I live in a four level split.....so lots of stairs, not taking a chance...
I dont have one of those....."I've fallen and cant get up" thingys.....soon maybe.....Big Grin 

Those are some beautiful speakers Steve. You updating your systems pics reminds me that I should do the same when my cabinet from salamander shows up.

That old pic of mine in members systems keeps coming up......Rich put it in for me.....by the way thanks.
I cant seem to change it, or my list of stuff.....Anyone care to help?.... 

Here is the procedure Perry:

If you want your system to be in the 'featured' section at the top of the page, copy/paste the following into a new post. put your topic in the 'Member's Systems' forum of the Members category:

Start Copy.....

[insert pics]

The Chain:
Digital Source
Analog Source
Other Sources
Signal Processors
Pre Amp
Power Amp
Speakers
Subwoofer
Speaker Cables
Interconnects
Power Cables
Headphones/Amp
System Rack
Power Conditioning
Tuning and Tweaks
Other Components

End Copy.....

• 2 weeks later...
I finally got a working TD-1700 for the wife. 
So much for getting Christmas gifts on time!
20130113085148792.jpg
Sherwood S2100-II tuner,art di/o dac, BillD modified Carver C1 preamp, Oppo 971, APC H15, Carver TD-1700 cassette deck, Bryston 3B Pro.
Not pictured is a Hafler XL280 which runs too hot for a cabinet and the speakers: Magnepan MMG, CC5 and an SVS sub.
It looks like I can do some shelf rearrangement to tidy things up a bit and gain some additional storage space.
My project for the day!
20130113085310566.jpg
20130113085450819.jpg

Looks like a nice "mix and match" system. I'll take 1 from column A, 1 from column B, 2 from column C......

What does your wife use the tape deck for Steve?
I only keep mine around because I have a ton of unique music on cassette (concerts, FM broadcasts, compilations, etc.)

My wife uses the TV and the occasional DVD.
I use the cassette deck for my pile o' tapes which I never got rid of - lucky me!
I'm told that cassette tapes are making a comeback of sorts with the 20-something hepsters.
I actually prefer them to CDs, I don't know quite why.  I have a thousand CDs but I really don't like them at all that much compared to vinyl or tape. 
The stuff all works together pretty well.  One of these days I'll get Rich to do an M500t for me again and see how it stacks up against the Hafler which drives the MMGs.  The M500t Mk. II will be more powerful and have a better top end if memory serves me right. 

Ahh, yes, my junk.
Where are those honeymoon photos when you want them?

My reptiles are getting kind of large but not quite that big!
There's no room for an equipment rack as the living room is pretty much taken up full of (you guessed it) stereo junk.
It seems like only yesterday I wandered into Toymaker's site when my Carver Receiver blew up.
There's a lesson to be learned here...

• The topic was unpinned