Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steve Ford's Junk

Ever since that Rega Saturn showed up I've been listening to primarily CD-Rs I burn from albums.

I put an actual album on and decided that the Jolida JD-9 phono preamp is probably the weak link so...

Here is a sexy black rectangular box and the guts (should be here next week) unless FedEx totally screws up like they're prone to doing:

cj ev1b.jpg

cj ev1a.jpg

• That Rocks 5
  • Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As for the preamp itself, it's exactly what I was looking for. It has the dynamics, detail resolution in spades and it doesn't emphasize one portion of the spectrum over another.  Soundstage dept

You asked for it, here's Mr. Happy! On second thought, the big system has undergone a few upgrades recently.   It's still based around Magnepan 3.7s and I picked up a pair of passive SVS cyl

Yes, he was a good guy. RadioEngr (I  believe he went by) picked up an Otari reel to reel for me and brought it to a CarverFest and Gary was good enough to bring it home for me to pick up at his

Posted Images

11 hours ago, SteveFord said:

decided that the Jolida JD-9 phono preamp is probably the weak link

Oooh nice.  Like the black.  Saw another on Ebay of the gold face, at $1295..., a few dings and scratches. Conrad Johnson EV-1 Tube Phono Preamplifier Stage | eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/333750116741

One drawback, from reading the reviews, is that to change the settings, for different cartridges, you have to open it up, and set DIP switches..., so if you swap cartridges a lot, or have multiple headshells with different carts, it's a PITA..., not everyone does that, though, so the Ron Popeil approach works for many - "Set It and Forget It."

Very interested in your review.   Saw this one from 2002, that was a good read:  SoundStage! Vinyl Word - Conrad-Johnson EV1 Phono Stage (3/2002) (soundstagenetwork.com) http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/vinyl/vinyl200203.htm

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

It should be here Wednesday, I'm looking forward to hearing it.

I think it'll be a good match with the CJ-5 and Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.

The fellow I'm getting it from used it for a bit, bought a different (more expensive) c-j phono stage and kept this as a back up.  He put in new tubes, played it for a few hours to make sure it worked okay and to me it comes.

I would have preferred a gold face but the one on eBay was too beat up and has a duff tube, one I was looking at on Usaudiomart was gone so black will be fine.

I'll hang onto the Jolida as I'll probably find a use for it with the LRS system.  

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

I just remembered, the fellow who runs the conrad-johnson forum was one of the first guys to modify the Jolida JD-9 and he sent me a link to parts and whatnot.

Okay, I can do that and then I started pricing caps and op amps and decided this is stupid, it looks like around $400 for a bag of parts to dink around with so just bite the bullet and buy something more upscale and get it over with.

• Thank You 2
  • That Rocks 1
9 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Okay, I can do that and then I started pricing caps and op amps and decided this is stupid, it looks like around $400 for a bag of parts to dink around with so just bite the bullet and buy something more upscale and get it over with.

When I think about updating/refreshing my Polk SDA-1C speakers' crossovers..., I have the same feeling that arrests me in my tracks before I spend a few hundred dollars on caps and components and what not..., just send the crossovers out, have the guy that did 100s of these with volume-purchased components, and be done with it...,   I still have yet to do that..., so the SDAs sit.

• Thank You 1

That conrad-johnson EV-1 phono preamp showed up today and what an upgrade from the Jolida.

You can't really review a component in a vacuum but this mated up so well with the other stuff this stereo finally sounds the way I wanted it to.

There's more depth, more detail, it's tonally balanced so it's not too lush or too strident, dynamics are there if the piece requires it,  it just really complemented the rest of the system.

I could never get that turntable to sound quite right and the culprit was the Jolida.  

How this would match with somebody else's system I can't say but for here this is just right.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 3
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 6:17 PM, SteveFord said:

How this would match with somebody else's system I can't say but for here this is just right.

And that is it in a nutshell. There really is something to the synergy thing including the room. So many variables to mesh.

• That Rocks 1

That is true.

That reviewer described it as being slightly euphonic so I was thinking the Soothing Strings Of Mantivani played through grandpa's Magnavox console but nope.  Maybe he was just looking for something to say, who knows.

I DO know that it mates up really well with conrad-johnson preamps and I liked it so much that I bought another one.  I'm doing some system changes, I'll post some pics of the whole set ups once the dust settles.

Here it is, a gold in in perfect shape.  This one goes in the living room so it'll be color coordinated.  Now just need a nice lace doiley and one of those crazy lady pot pourri things, ha ha.

ev1.jpg

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 2

Barring a catastrophe, this is as done as the big system will ever be.

You can spend forever chasing the latest and greatest but time to say finis.

First we have the overview

bigstereo 1.jpg

• That Rocks 1
  • Love this! 1

And here's the individual things.

conrad-johnson CT-5 preamp, 1960s Sherwood tube tuner, APC 15 power  conditioner

Well Tempered Labs square motor with Ortofon 2M Black cartridge

conrad-johnson EV-1 phono preamp, VTL 300 DeLuxe monoblock

Rega Saturn CD player, Crown amp/Rolls stereo subwoofer crossover

big stereo 2.jpg

bigstereo 3.jpg

bigstereo 2.jpg

bigstereo 4.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 1

SVS passive subs

Kimber 12TC speaker cables which are a really big improvement over the 8TC cables I was using

I forgot Magnepan 3.7s speakers!

bigstereo 5.jpg

bigstereo 6.jpg

bigstereo7.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • That Rocks 2
  • Love this! 1

What's the back-story on the pedestals the Maggies sit on?  Interesting...., do they raise the stage? ...influence the sound? or just cosmetic?

• Thank You 1

It's just to raise up a little bit as you know how when you stand up the sound can really change.

My wife had an old dining room table, I cut off some chunks of it, got some wooden furniture "buns" at a hardware store (they're normally attached to couches), cut the threaded posts on the buns down a bit, drilled the underside of the table and glued the posts into the old table top.

It worked out just right and it's easy to slide them around, too.

• That Rocks 3