Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Steve Ford's Junk

I bought some new 12TC cables for the 1.7s and I now believe in cable burn in.

Right off the bat they sounded really bass heavy but after a couple of hours Jeff Beck's Telecaster on "Going Down" from The Jeff Beck Group album was coming through sounding just like it should.

Those are really good cables, when they did massed vocals DOWN DOWN DOWN it came jumping right out of the speakers, sounded like a tube getting ready to go supernova.

• Thank You 2
  • Ut Oh 1
  • OMG 1
  • FacePalm 1
  • Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That is true. That reviewer described it as being slightly euphonic so I was thinking the Soothing Strings Of Mantivani played through grandpa's Magnavox console but nope.  Maybe he was just look

You asked for it, here's Mr. Happy! On second thought, the big system has undergone a few upgrades recently.   It's still based around Magnepan 3.7s and I picked up a pair of passive SVS cyl

Yes, he was a good guy. RadioEngr (I  believe he went by) picked up an Otari reel to reel for me and brought it to a CarverFest and Gary was good enough to bring it home for me to pick up at his

Posted Images

Steve,

This has all the signs of cable neurosis. Please, calm down, move slowly towards the cable connections? Got it? Good, good were halfway there. Now, without hesitation, disconnect these demon wires, and softly put them in a box. Got it? Good, good Steve, blink if you can hear me. You need to tape the box tightly shut and place it out on the porch. Got it? Good. Steve, call UPS and say that you have a box for them to pick up and ship to me for proper disposal. Hang up the phone and breath. Deep breaths. Good, good, excellent.

This is not easy, and it will take some time to return to the real world. Just know that the cables are in a better place now.

• Haha 4

I can't bring myself to unhook them from the amplifiers so I'll include those as well.  Hope you've been eating your Wheaties, they weigh a bit.

Damndest thing, those cables went from sounding really strange to just fine in the space of a couple of hours.  Need to futz with the subwoofer a bit as the 1.7s are pumping out a lot more bass.

Also discovered that the turntable handily kicked the Apollo R's ass, it was not even close.  Next week it's CD player musical chairs.

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

That Rega Saturn-R showed up today and it's really, really impressive.

More detail and a crisper overall sound than the older Saturn.

I can't hear it do anything wrong, there's not one part of it that is lacking.  

There is an updated Saturn coming out shortly so you should be able to find a bunch of these on the used market as people satisfy their upgrade-itis.

Oh, and my Q-Up doohickey showed up and pops the tonearm up in the air like a champ.

It's a miracle!

Edited by SteveFord
  • That Rocks 2
4 hours ago, SteveFord said:

That Rega Saturn-R showed up today and it's really, really impressive.

I noticed that unit has digital inputs?  Is that to allow use of the internal DAC with other digital sources? 

Hmmm, (pondering out loud) could that Wolfson make streaming content better?

• That Rocks 1

Please, I'm trying to get OFF the upgrade wagon and get back to being a normal person (although that's probably not possible).

Yes, I believe that is for streaming capabilities.

I flipped through the manual real fast, there's a bunch of different settings for tailoring the sound.

This thing is so new the batteries for the remote are still in their sealed plastic wrapper so I just left it the way it shipped and will worry about the filters probably never.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2
16 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Please, I'm trying to get OFF the upgrade wagon and get back to being a normal person (although that's probably not possible).

Damn Steve, are you in the wrong place for THAT!!!  🤣

• Haha 1
  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

By underwhelming demand, here's the spare bedroom system.

It was kind of an expensive undertaking as all I wanted to do was replace some crappy Magnepan MMGs to listen to football games and the news and the occasional CD or movie.

The LRS speakers showed up and I really had to rethink things as they're MUCH better than what I thought they would be.  I had them next to some 1.7s while I was testing stuff out and I thought the sound was coming from the 1.7s.  Nope, it's the LRS speakers, the little weasels.

I had a spare bedroom which the wife turned into a long-term dog urinal

molly.jpg

but it wasn't really Molly Dog's fault, we weren't ever around and boxers just can't hold it.

So, Molly Dog sadly went to Doggie Heaven and I decided to put the room to use.  Put on a paint respirator and goggles and clean the room, stain what's left of the hardwood floor, paint it from baseboard to ceiling, buy a rug, hit Facebook Marketplace and buy a cabinet and some furnishings and set it up.

mona.jpg

Wrong pic, that's the Mona Gorilla.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Ut Oh 1
Posted (edited)

To keep the room from being so "live" I got raped by Home Depot over the cost of some shelving materials and decided to furnish it with some of my fedora collection (and bowlers and homburgs and top hats).  Everything but the fez.

bedroom9.jpg

I tried all sorts of different combinations of gear but what I wound up with is an REL T1 subwoofer, BarryG/WRF Carverfest 275, a deHavilland UltraVerve 3 preamp and a Rega Apollo-R cd player.

bedroom3.jpg

Edited by SteveFord
  • That Rocks 2
Posted (edited)

Speaker cables are Kimber 12TC and I went with some Magnariser Mk 7 Multirisers which really firm up the sound.  It's a lot more than just getting them up in the air, they somehow do a lot more than the stock junky feet they send you.  I will buy some for the 1.7s and 3.7s, they're worth doing.

bedroom10.jpg

And most importantly, here's where I sit my fat hairy butt.

bedroom2.jpg

And here's what faces me.

bedroom4.jpg

Actually, the cabinet doors are most of the way shut but you get the idea.

The sound from this little system is really, really good.

I've heard it more detailed (conrad-johnson SS amp), and I've heard it with more punch (Sonic Frontiers preamp) but for sonic beauty, this is the winning combination.  

The trick is to use Sylvania tubes everywhere (at least to my ears).

Edited by SteveFord
  • That Rocks 1

So I'm reading the Product Blurb on the pair designed for the MG3x series..., and feel like I might be getting into the realm of cables and magnets... 

Made of seven individual types of material combined to optimize the performance of the speakers. Especially offering gains in transparency, sound-staging, added bass extension and authority. This design offers an almost spooky see through like electrostatic clarity while maintaining your speakers’ musical authenticity.

I'm all good with that. Maybe there's adamantine steel in there too!  I like a little folklore, mystery, and beauty with a cosmetically attractive package.  Why, that's the difference between a lot of things..., and I'm all ok with that.   Falling into this abyss, 😉   hmmm, now where's the link to the Kimber Cable website LoL!  

BTW, I'm being serious and silly - not trying to be critical, or light anyone's fuse..., I like cool stuff like this...

The only thing about the MG3a magnarisers is that these speakers are already 6ft tall..., from my observation, the magnarisers are more about stiffening and providing a better anchor over the stock feet.  From the picture, it looks like they only raise the speaker about 1 inch (guessing).

Edited by AndrewJohn
  • Haha 2

FWIW - I have a set of the other LRS risers on order. I think they are the "Airborne"? (I think these are the ones shown in AJs pic)

These were actually a XMAS gift from my kids. I'd suspect that most of us are fairly difficult to buy for so it was a welcome idea. They didn't order much before the beginning of Dec. I hope to get them before my birthday in March.

I agree that the stock feet are junk. Is that little kickstand actually supposed to work? Maybe if balanced just right.

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
Posted (edited)

I was so impressed I ordered a set of the Ascension 3s for the 3.7s this morning.

He said it's a 9 - 12 week time span from deposit to shipment, they raise them up 2" so you were close.

Already got the Kimbers kovered, all 3 systems have 12TC speaker cables.

That's as high up the ladder as I'll ever go.

While I think of it, their inexpensive PBJ interconnects are supposed to be really good.

When I need some more that's what I'll go with.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Thank You 2