Steve Ford's Junk

SteveFord

Thanks for the heads up Steve, I'll try to find some, darn cats have a scratching post that they never use, always seam to go after furniture, the walls so I'm not taking any chances with the Advance A+ speakers.  I've had these way too long to have them destroyed by a couple cats.

Those glowing tubes sure look purty, Steve.  Does your system sound better in the light or in the dark?  I am wondering if those glowing tubes have a pyschological effect.

That's a good question; I usually end up with my eyes closed irregardless of when I'm listening but I'm sure the glow has some effect.

One thing is that you just end up rooted to the listening chair.  Could be worse, I guess.  Could be at work!

• 3 weeks later...
The esteemed Kingman just sent me a beautiful TX-11a to replace the TX-11 in the downstairs system.

Looks and works like new so THANK YOU!!!

No sense in posting a photo, it looks just like the TX-11.

Thanks to TNRabbit for snagging the TX-11 for me as well.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Thanks to RadioEng2 and TNRabbit, I'm now the new owner of a used Otari MX5050II.

I swiped this picture from somebody else as I need a take up reel, some balanced interconnects and my one and only pre recorded tape to show up from a recent auction on eBay!

It's going on the downstairs system but I'm not 100% sure where yet. 

I saw a photo where someone made a cabinet around it with the same Dbx unit I've got which seems like a really good idea.

20100911192117152.jpg

Got the albums upstairs where they belong (next to the turntable)20100530111742578.jpg

Nice Gibby Fire Bird. Clapton used to play one and the Johnny Winter preferred guitar.emwink.gif

Excellent collection of audio equipment.14.gif

I think you and Zumbini are having a contest as to who can collect the most recorded music.happy0009.gif

Thanks. 

Firebirds are difficult guitars to play just because they're so long but I still like them a lot.

The albums have multiplied like cockroaches since that photo was taken. 

It's all relative as I probably have a few thousand titles on vinyl and CD, Zumbini has several times that and the fellow up the road who owns a used CD and Record store has at least 25 times that in his store alone.  I gather that his personal collection is rather large as well.

Here's a shot which illustrates the Firebird's length as compared to a standard sized Gibson solid body.

20100912101141616.jpg

Thanks for posting that!

The late Brian Jones was another non reverse Firebird guy.

Here's a good shot of PJ Harvey during her last solo tour with a Firebird V which seems like an odd choice for such a small woman to be playing.  That must be an older one as it has the vibrato tailpiece.

Lynda's comment when PJ came on stage was "that's why you like PJ Harvey, she plays a Firebird"!

It's funny how the V has such a different sound than the three pick up VII.  The V has much more of a snarl to it where the VII sounds more like a Les Paul. 

I believe that Clapton was using a single pick up Firebird 1 back in the Cream days.

20100912161441185.jpg

I'm not sure exactly which one Clapton played. I do know it wasnt like Winwood's.
It was brown and he didnt use it for very long as his SG The Fool was his main guitar. He plyed a 59 Les Paul early on as this was his guitar from Mayall Days and he had that beautiful ES335 that he ended their last concert with..........thats about all I know.

Here's a link to a bunch of Firebirds:

I don't have this one but maybe someday: a Firebird III with P90 pick ups.  I'll bet that thing would scream through a Marshall!

I hear that Todd Rundgren had The Fool SG for many years and then recently sold it.  The money gets spent, the guitar is gone and there you go.

The whole ES-335 series are my favorite guitars; they just fit me perfectly and are perfect for just about any style of music.

Hijacked my own thread - I'm going to go drool over that Firebird link.

20100912165851148.jpg

I don't have this one but maybe someday: a Firebird III with P90 pick ups.  I'll bet that thing would scream through a Marshall!

Any guitar will scream when played through a Marshall but the Gibson/Marshall combo is a classic.

I collected about 20 guitars before I got married and started a family.
Sold almost all of of them off and put the money into a college fund

I held on to a 1966 Fender F65 (acoustic) that I bought at a pawn shop while stationed in Vegas.

Also kept  this semi-rare Gibson GK-55 (bought new in 1979) and this Marshall Valvestate 8100.

20100912211619196.jpg 

Until recently they'd been gathering dust in favor of the acoustic.

But lately I've been jamming with my son's 3 piece rock band and having a blast.

I think I'll dig out my Bluesbreaker pedal and polish up some old Fleetwood Mac....

Looks like Zumbini's neighbors are going to get a free concert.

Balkok, I like the Jolida phono stage a lot as it has settings o' plenty.

There's a thread over on audiocircle in the vinyl section called Jolida Phono Stage Magic where they're going berserk modifying the thing.  I just replaced the EH tubes with Sovteks, built a power cord, used silver interconnects and called it a day.

I'd buy another one.

• The topic was unpinned