Steve Ford's Junk

SteveFord

Hey Steve, I can't buy parts for my SL-1200 any more so I am looking for a replacement.
I am totally out of touch with the current turntable offerings so I could use your expertise.
What models would you recommend I look at in the $400-$600 price range?

Hey Steve' date=' I can't buy parts for my SL-1200 any more so I am looking for a replacement.
I am totally out of touch with the current turntable offerings so I could use your expertise.

What models would you recommend I look at in the $400-$600 price range?
[/quote']

Z, did you try LP Gear for parts?

I got the reel to reel up and going (made a lot of dumb newbie errors) and Joe Cocker has never sounded so good through the headphones.  I think I'm in love.

From what I'm hearing this really may be the way to go for absolute sound quality.

I got the reel to reel up and going (made a lot of dumb newbie errors) and Joe Cocker has never sounded so good through the headphones.  I think I'm in love.
From what I'm hearing this really may be the way to go for absolute sound quality.
I gotta dig out my AKAI  and put some belts in it!

• 3 months later...
A gift from RodH - a Harman Kardon F500x tuner which a local shop brought back from the dead.

This is the best tuner I've ever encountered - thank you so much, Rod!

This now takes pride of place in the downstairs system.

20101224055520505.jpg

20101224055352628.jpg

20101224073015736.jpg

20101224055220121.jpg

Great sytem Steve.......love all the tubes!

Something about a lot of gear in one area that just looks cool......

Congrats on the new addition.....probably have enough "stuff" now....wont be needin anymore....right?emwink.gif

Thank you, gentlemen. 

Are we EVER done?  Maybe when they shovel dirt onto me I'll have to call it quits but I only said maybe.

I want to get a small system for the spare bedroom where the computer is in (I'm thinking based around a Sherwood tube receiver and Stax headphones) and I need to make a modest H/T system for Lynda. 

The home theater stuff is all mapped out in my head but it's going to have to wait until I get my upcoming tax refund. 

• 1 month later...
Christmas in late January - I finally managed to get a WooAudio 6 headphone amplifier which came with an assortment of tubes as well.  This is being used with a Sherwood S3000-III tuner with Beyerdynamics DT880s and all I've got to say is WOW! 

I always knew that headphone jacks are kind of an afterthought on most equipment and that a dedicated headphone amp was the way to go so at the ripe old age of 51 I've finally gone ahead and done it.

I'll post pictures of the setup once I get a large shelf set up for the amp and tuner.  It's much larger and heavier than I'd expected and best of all it's made here in the US.

KVE777 is the one who actually pushed me off the fence; I was thinking of buying his MacIntosh receiver but when I asked about the headphone jack he tried it and suggested going with a tube amp.  I'm glad I listened to him (plus he got more money for the Mac on eBay so everyone's happy).

The people over at head-fi.org were also really helpful with making this selection as I was thinking of a WooAudio3 due to the price difference but they convinced me to go with the 6.  Good advice all around.

20110131165622672.jpg

20110131165510740.jpg

20110131165402629.jpg

20110131165255129.jpg

Glad you like it.

It's an SET Class A amp.  My headphones actually have really good bass response and an actual soundstage which I'd never heard before!

I now understand what the SET crowd is all about; I don't know how well SETs would do with speakers for me as I like really loud music but for a headphone amp it's ideal.

From what I'm hearing with this 6, the WooAudio 2 might make for a tremendous preamp at a reasonable price.

It won't have a whole lot of bells and whistles but if you can live without that it just might be the ticket.

Those speakers look like they're made with SETs in mind, don't they?  Hmmmm.......

For our esteemed TNRabbit, I just plugged in a set of AKG 701s and you might want to pick up one of these amps.  It certainly has more than enough power (7:00 is OFF, I have the volume at about 9:30) and the track which is on right now has really crisp sounding drums and vocals.

A brighter sounding headphone than the Beyerdynamics and more comfortable to wear, too.

I guess that the difference in the sound between the two headphones is that the Beyerdynamics have the sound right on top of you while the AKGs are a bit airier.  Picture front row center to 10th row center; the DT880s have better bass, the AKGs have a stronger top end.  Pick your poison, I suppose.

Either drop some really strong hints or just use your tax refund for the amp is my advice.

• 3 weeks later...
  • The topic was unpinned