New (to me) Amp in the House

wrf

• Community Admin

Picked up an amp the other day.  Sounds glorious on the Spatial Audio M-3 Turbos.  Anybody recognize it?

Also does a great job as a space heater.

IMG_3473.thumb.jpeg.2860a6d5f4e855a7e80cd6807de9d7db.jpeg

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 3

• Community Admin
40 minutes ago, oldtexasdog said:

Hows the sound compare between the two?

My system has undergone considerable change in the past few months.  Speakers, preamp, and amp.  The only constant has been the Transporter and the Sunfire sub.

Both amps deserve a careful listening session before I come to any conclusions.  Informal listening reveals considerable difference between the two, but more time is needed.  I'll post a serious comparison in a few weeks.

I posted this thread because the BAT has such an overwhelming physical presence, particularly when warmed up.  The pictures show this, but not nearly to the degree of actually being in the same room with this beast.

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 1

38 minutes ago, wrf said:

I posted this thread because the BAT has such an overwhelming physical presence

Interpretation...........Audio Sexiness...........😳

Edited by Dadvw
  • That Rocks 1

Nice looking amp Wayne.  I will be interested to read your review of the sound and the comparison to the Carver amp.

I think the BAT is a push pull as well, no?

• That Rocks 2

I believe so as I think they use the term "Series Balanced Amplifier" as I understand it is when two devices are in series between the power supply rails, but the input drive goes only to one of the devices, the bottom one of the pair; hence the (seemingly contradictory) Single-Ended description. The output is taken from the cathode of the top (not directly driven) device, which acts part way between a constant current source and a cathode follower but receiving some drive from the plate (anode) circuit of the bottom device. The drive to each tube therefore might not be equal, but the circuit tends to keep the current through the bottom device somewhat constant throughout the signal, increasing the power gain and reducing distortion compared with a true single-tube single-ended output stage.

That is one of the ways they get the extra power as most SE amps are only 3 to 10 watts output. Kinda a hybrid approach.

Edited by oldtexasdog
  • Thank You 3

On 12/18/2019 at 11:24 PM, wrf said:

A peek under the hood.

IMG_3466.thumb.jpeg.de3b6039cb36cacb1c87ebfb57c24b30.jpeg

Hey, for the $8,500 MSRP at least you get rivet nuts for the cover and lots of unpopulated parts locations on the PCBs !!

What is with the tape on the caps ?

• Thank You 1

• Community Admin
1 hour ago, B-Man said:

Hey, for the $8,500 MSRP at least you get rivet nuts for the cover and lots of unpopulated parts locations on the PCBs !!

What is with the tape on the caps ?

The 8 caps in the middle are a bit tall and can contact the bottom cover.  They all have clear plastic insulators on them, but those 8 get an extra rubber pad (not tape).

• Thank You 2