Bonzoro

F.S Carver M400A with free Yamaha Cassette Deck

I took the M400a in on a trade, it works fine. It looks like it's unmolested, I didn't take it apart.  The Yamaha Deck (TC-511S), which is in excellent condition,

has been cleaned and new belts, and new LED meter lights.  Asking $250 shipped. PM me if interested.

1315010023_IMG_6007rs(2208x1656).thumb.jpg.6c7863e32e60c4bff0b04b6e72d75501.jpg1340432880_IMG_6008rs(2208x1656).thumb.jpg.b69389a7dbc09fdee16442f71c8dd6f1.jpg666295893_IMG_6009rs(2208x1656).thumb.jpg.461c5583eabc12d7c73af9ae213df3fa.jpg251777846_IMG_6010rs(2208x1656).thumb.jpg.5a8afd6dc2ef5581da726170e2626c03.jpg

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 2

I'll throw in a nice Phase Linear 4000 (Joystick model) for another $150

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1

PL 4000 is sold, still have the Carver M-400A.  

I have an Altec Lansing 729A Equalizer for sale too. 24 band, fairly rare.   $250 shipped.  I'll post some pics when I get to my other computer. 

Never opened up a M-400A.....   Maybe I should hunt down a thread for upgrade/recap/or???  Anybody running one of these? I did a quick glance at the service manual. They put the fear of god into you if you want to open it up and work on it....   :(

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1
  • Haha 1

Can’t be any worse than tearing apart a 4000 preamp......grin. WRF could tell you about that I am sure.......grin The 400a does look good cosmetically. If it was a T, I would be interested......grin

Edited by Dadvw
  • Thank You 2

Stickers

Yeah, I guess I was probably a little intimidated the first 4000/4000t I did. They are a pain to disassemble/assemble but no hazardous voltages. I suppose I should finish the second M1.0t first. Got the first one rocking, the second one has an input board issue that I'm going to attack. 

• That Rocks 2

They are a pain to take apart and a pain to put back together.  So many itty bitty screws, all in tight places.  And all that heat compound...  Only amp that I know of where you have to shower after you get it apart.  

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 4

45 minutes ago, wrf said:

They are a pain to take apart and a pain to put back together.  So many itty bitty screws, all in tight places.  And all that heat compound...

I had one of these very briefly. It was sold to me as needing repair but it sounded fine ..... until I turned it up. Protection.

I'm usually gung-ho on amp repair, but this sat on the shelf for over a month before I got up the will to take all those screws out.

Luckily the schematic was OK, clearly called out the different PS revs, etc. I was able to fix it without further disassembly. Lucky as the next step looks painful ......

• Thank You 2

Stickers

3 hours ago, jeffs said:

I had one of these very briefly. It was sold to me as needing repair but it sounded fine ..... until I turned it up. Protection.

I'm usually gung-ho on amp repair, but this sat on the shelf for over a month before I got up the will to take all those screws out.

Luckily the schematic was OK, clearly called out the different PS revs, etc. I was able to fix it without further disassembly. Lucky as the next step looks painful ......

I suppose I should hook it up again and crank it up to make sure it's not doing the same thing.   

• Thank You 1

13 minutes ago, Bonzoro said:

I suppose I should hook it up again and crank it up to make sure it's not doing the same thing.   

In my case it didn't take much cranking. There is a cap that filters the outputs and feeds into the protection circuit. Open cap means no filtering, which trips the protection circuitry.

• Thank You 1

Stickers

Having watched a few videos of people doing teardowns and repairs on Carver Cubes, it's left me with a few thoughts:

1. I admire the Bobfather even more for being able to pack all that electronics into that little space.  Wow.

2. Any tech brave enough to venture repairs or updates on one deserves total admiration (or help getting to a shrink).  I don't think I could bring myself to ask anyone, here to take on a Cube repair - I like you all way too much!

3. The idea of not being able to test things while it's running because it all has to be "together" is not for the faint of heart.  Basically you make a SWAG and put it back together and hit the switch ... then do it again when it still isn't right.

4. Carver cubes are extrememly cool!  |-|  But for me, I'll stick to something that you (meaning a competent tech)  can take the top off of and have easy(ish) access.

@Bonzoro that's a great set of gear, and a total trip down memory lane.  

@jeffs see point 2 above for even contemplating that fix - here's hoping it turns out to be really simple to find and fix.  Good Luck!!!

• Thank You 1
  • That Rocks 1