Sign in to follow this  
Daddyjt

Tim and Mark meet up part II - the sequel

Being away from home for months at a time with the new job is certainly far from ideal.  However, one of the pluses is that it’s getting me out to parts of the country to meet my “Carver Family” face to face.  First, it was Christmas with @Sk1Bum in Missouri, and last night it was pizza, beer, good company and good music with @PhilDent in California.

After a wonderful dinner - pizza with the best spicy ground pepperoni I’ve ever had, salad and beer - it was off to the music room. After our listening night at my place, Tim hunted down a pair of NHT 2.5i speakers for himself. I was shocked at the bass extension he was getting in his room, with no sub!  I was intrigued with his setup, specifically the placement of his surrounds. They are ear-level (floor standers), and directly to the side of the listening position. This yielded perhaps some of the best music surround I have experienced. In fact, I haven’t stopped thinking about my own surround placement since listening to his setup. His system sounded excellent - clear, punchy, and great imaging - a joy to listen to. 

I also “discovered” a new reference recording - Billy Joel, The Stranger on SACD. Tim put this disc in, and I inwardly groaned when I saw it playing in surround - man, was I wrong... that disc is THE BEST surround encoded music I have ever heard. Before you get too excited, let me explain why - it’s perfect, and what more surround mixes should be, because the mixing engineer uses the surround channels for ambiance, and to create a sense of space ONLY - no gimickie sounds, or too loud effects, just exactly what it should be - ambient sound to create a sense of space. I already have my son hunting us up a copy. That said, he’s also hunting another that Tim played for me - Nine Inch Nails Downward Spiral on SACD.  Full disclosure, I’m going to be a hypocrite here - I loved this SACD surround mix because Reznor uses the surround and center channels to FULL effect - this one is more for fun and “wow factor” and not so much critical listening. 

And after all that, perhaps the funnest part of the evening was just sitting and chatting with Tim and his wife.

friendship is a beautiful thing, and Im blessed to have a friend like Tim - thank you for your hospitality my friend.

looking forward to next time:-)

• Thank You 3
  • That Rocks 9

Stickers

15 hours ago, Daddyjt said:

Oh, and did I mention that Tim is one of the lucky few that has a wife that lets him buy anything he wants for his audio hobby...😉

If that were true we would not have been listening to NHT2.5i speakers in an untreated room.

Thank you for initiating operation OPPO with the Mrs. 

• That Rocks 1

Stickers

50 minutes ago, Maddmaster said:

https://www.mofi.com/product-p/udsacd2089.htm

Tried this link yet? I saw several sites and the price varies a lot.

This is an elusive disc. There are multiple SACD versions, and the MOFI is not the preferred one, believe it or not, as it has no surround mix. Most I’ve seen thus far are in the $100 range...:-(

Stickers